Romeo Langford

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never understood the backlash for that one. Google says he raised $2.5 M for Boys and Girls Club and also raised an additional $3.5 M in ad revenue for other charities. Cavs owners had plenty of time to get Lebron some help. Gilbert didn't. His employee left. End of story in my book.

I’m a Lebron fan, I am. And, I’m not particularly a Cavs fan. My problem with the announcement was that it happened at all. I found it to be egomaniacal and entirely unnecessary. 

If he wanted to raise funds for kids there are a myriad of other ways to do so beyond having a self-fueled, self-important self proclamation. 

Sorry, I just always thought the way he conducted that was in poor taste and a poor example. It was Twitter uber  manifested.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, zerawkid said:

I’m a Lebron fan, I am. And, I’m not particularly a Cavs fan. My problem with the announcement was that it happened at all. I found it to be egomaniacal and entirely unnecessary. 

If he wanted to raise funds for kids there are a myriad of other ways to do so beyond having a self-fueled, self-important self proclamation. 

Sorry, I just always thought the way he conducted that was in poor taste and a poor example. It was Twitter uber  manifested.

He raised $6M for a quick announcement show. Myriad of other ways doesn't include $3.5 Million of Ad Revenue. Oh well. I'll get back to Romeo...didn't want to send this thread elsewhere (again). Haha.

33 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Never understood the backlash for that one. Google says he raised $2.5 M for Boys and Girls Club and also raised an additional $3.5 M in ad revenue for other charities. Cavs owners had plenty of time to get Lebron some help. Gilbert didn't. His employee left. End of story in my book.

Assuming those numbers are true... then I take back my criticisms of him for that production. Outstanding he was able to raise all that money. 

18 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Oh they did? Then where was the BACKLASH?

They masterfully redirected it at Mike Davis by having him NOT recruit Conley. 

This is probably why Romeo is now giving IU serious consideration. He is on the hook for backlash again now that his target for redirection (Crean) is no longer at IU. So maybe Romeo is trying to avoid the backlash that comes with trying to avoid backlash. :coffee:

This backlash speculation is the highlight of this entire thread. :cheers:

17 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

There was no backlash and rightfully so.  Everyone knew they made the right decision by not playing for Mike Davis.

Here's the scary part. I had a chance to meet with Coach Davis a few times. Personally and professionally. He actually still believed Conley and Oden were coming before that announcement. 

8 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Was it awkward for Oden and Conley?

The worst case scenario is people gasping in displeasure and then filing out. The horror!

Stupid comparison, as they were totally different situations.  Conley wasn’t even considering IU, and it sounds like everyone knew Oden wasn’t coming.  And they didn’t have IU fans swarming them after games for months clamoring for them to come to IU.  Considering the way everything’s played out, the IU fans in attendance at Romeo’s announcement won’t be happy if he commits elsewhere.

Edit - Of course I’m not saying there will be a riot or anything, but I think there would be noticeable disappointment in the crowd.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Stupid comparison, as they were totally different situations.  Conley wasn’t even considering IU, and it sounds like everyone knew Oden wasn’t coming.  And they didn’t have IU fans swarming them after games for months clamoring for them to come to IU.  Considering the way everything’s played out, the IU fans in attendance at Romeo’s announcement won’t be happy if he commits elsewhere.

Edit - Of course I’m not saying there will be a riot or anything, but I think there would be noticeable disappointment in the crowd.

You know the message board community doesn't represent the entire fanbase, right? Especially back in 2006.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agreed. If Romeo does end up picking Vandy or KU the crowd will still applaud, just more neutered and I’m sure at least 1 or 2 people would boo. However if he does pick IU, New Albany will need to get quotes on a new roof for the gym because that thing will be blown off. 

3 minutes ago, Tru123dt said:

New Albany fans will only wish Romeo the best even if he does not pick IU.  There will not be any back lash there regardless who he chooses.  I know a quite of few New Albany fans who will make the journey to Vandy if he chooses them.

The way I see it:

If Romeo doesn't choose Kansas, the FBI receives backlash for releasing their accusations right before his announcement.

If Romeo doesn't choose Vandy, Garland receives backlash from the 5 Vandy fans not related to Him for being a selfish PG and taking the game winning shot as opposed to passing to a wide open Romeo, which would have sealed his commitment.

If Romeo doesn't choose Indiana, it is still Crean's fault.

Like I said, come hell or high water, someone will receive backlash!!

Archived