Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

The man has effortless athleticism.  Looks like he hardly needs to try on a lot of these plays.  If Romeo keeps getting more confident and intense, he could be a DOMINANT player in the NBA.  It will be interesting to see how him and Barrett compare towards the end of the year.

It is so important on so many levels for Indiana to win this recruitment. 

11 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

We’re almost within 2 weeks! Here’s an honest question....are we ranked preseason next year if Romeo chooses the candy stripes? 

IfJuwan comes back I think we’d be ranked. Either way we’ll have a chance to prove ourselves.

gotta avoid bad losses next year!

think we’ll be at NC State for the ACC challenge anytime soon? 

2 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Nah, Juwan will win B1G POY. Romeo should easily get B1G FOY. 

Romeo will be in the running for national player of the year.  Juwan played great last year but Romeo is on Eric Gordon’s level, and I would say Juwan is more on a DJ White level.  There is a difference between a good college player and an elite college player.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Not a chance.  Juwan will be lucky to get drafted.  Romeo will go top 5 and top 10 at worst.

What does getting drafted have to do with being the Big ten POY.  Happ and Edwards probably are the leading candidates for the award and they won't be top draft picks either.

20 minutes ago, Tru123dt said:

Romeo will be in the running for national player of the year.  Juwan played great last year but Romeo is on Eric Gordon’s level, and I would say Juwan is more on a DJ White level.  There is a difference between a good college player and an elite college player.

D.J. won Big Ten player of the year

1. Juwan most certainly can win B1G POY while Romeo gets drafted top 3 in next year’s draft. DJ won and in my opinion, didn’t have the athleticism, nor perimeter game that Juwan has. 

2. Romeo can win it as well, but he’ll get more attention for NPOY and would have B1G FOY locked from day 1. The B1G tends to reward upperclassmen in this instance. 

3. There’s no doubt in my mind who the better player is... just saying what I know to be true in the past. 

4. I just can’t wait for this to become official and for Juwan to come back so we can see them dominate together.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why does the all state voting need to look like where they are ranked as a recruit? You're completely taking out individual accomplishments and/or team accomplishments if you were doing that. 

...and you're completely missing the point of my original observation.  I simply found it strange that Lairy, who is not even on a national recruiting site's radar is first team all-state when Damezi Anderson, who is ranked as the 3rd best player in the state didn't even make first team all-state.  I get that Damezi didn't end his season strong, but his team went undefeated to semi-state and his overall career scoring stats, despite playing on a very deep team, were comparable with stats that I could find showing them both with 19+ point career scoring averages even though Anderson was likely utilized less due to the depth of his team.

You're treating national ranking like it's irrelevant and it's not. I get that there are other factors in the overall voting but this isn't as black & white as you're attempting to make it sound.  About the only thing really black & white here is that Romeo Langford is head & shoulders above the rest of his class when it comes to basketball talent and that's not to say he other players are that bad.  It's simply to say just how good and how special he is.

I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves declaring Romeo one of the favorites for NPOY, or even BTPOY.  The only freshman AP NPOY have been Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant.  A freshman has never won BTPOY.  Romeo will be great for a freshman, but it would be pretty shocking if he was a legit contender for either of those awards.

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves declaring Romeo one of the favorites for NPOY, or even BTPOY.  The only freshman AP NPOY have been Anthony Davis and Kevin Durant.  A freshman has never won BTPOY.  Romeo will be great for a freshman, but it would be pretty shocking if he was a legit contender for either of those awards.

Totally agree. Let's assume we really do land Romeo and Juwan comes back. They're both going to put up huge stats on a really good team, but one is a senior that is likely to be viewed as the heart and soul of the team. I think it's hard to win CPOTY if you aren't viewed as the leader of your own team. When was the last time that even happened?

44 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and you're completely missing the point of my original observation.  I simply found it strange that Lairy, who is not even on a national recruiting site's radar is first team all-state when Damezi Anderson, who is ranked as the 3rd best player in the state didn't even make first team all-state.  I get that Damezi didn't end his season strong, but his team went undefeated to semi-state and his overall career scoring stats, despite playing on a very deep team, were comparable with stats that I could find showing them both with 19+ point career scoring averages even though Anderson was likely utilized less due to the depth of his team.

You're treating national ranking like it's irrelevant and it's not. I get that there are other factors in the overall voting but this isn't as black & white as you're attempting to make it sound.  About the only thing really black & white here is that Romeo Langford is head & shoulders above the rest of his class when it comes to basketball talent and that's not to say he other players are that bad.  It's simply to say just how good and how special he is.

Their ranking is completely irrelevant when it comes to if they're All State or not. Lairy is a better HS player and had a better career

1 hour ago, Tru123dt said:

I never said that he would be national player of the year, but he would be in running for it.  If Romeo doess come to IU then I would be shocked if he is not the leading scorer for Indiana by a wide margin.  I even heard Alex Bozich from Inside the Hall state that he is going to rank Romeo in the top five for the Big Ten next year if he comes to IU and that he will have Romeo ranked higher than Morgan when the list comes out.  Big Ten does not get many players ranked in the top five on recruiting list, so there will not be many freshman winning that award.  

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

He'll be the best player in the B1G.  You can believe it or not.

Man he is good.

Talent level will obviously increase for his competition but he is going to be a handful.  If he comes that is 2 guys that will demand the defense's attention.  I hope all of our guards are working on their 3 point shooting, there should be a ton of open looks next year when we swing the ball.

40 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It's crazy that the B1G never had a Freshman POY, but it's not surprising considering that teams very rarely get a top 5 player out of high school. As a league, we really aren't great at recruiting. Romeo is the highest ranked recruit to come to the Big Ten since, who....Eric Gordon in 2007!? I don't think Deshaun Thomas was top 5, right?  

That said, if there is a year a freshman POY could happen....it could be next year. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Their ranking is completely irrelevant when it comes to if they're All State or not. Lairy is a better HS player and had a better career

No it's not. You're speaking in absolutes again and acting like you're the only person in the room who knows anything.  Their national rankings are admittedly a subjective measurement of their overall skill level and potential at the next level.  Those attributes, while not the only factors in all-state voting, are not irrelevant.  You need look no further than Romeo Langford to come to that conclusion.  I'll bet if you look backwards, you'll find plenty of examples where all-state and national ranking services had a high degree of correlation.

Archived