Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CrimsonV said:

There will be a live feed on IndyStar.com.

Oh no! Mile won't be able to watch because he's used up his free access abilities.

Someone's going to have to pirate this for him

:D

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

All the more impactful in that Vic did not grow up in Indiana. He just appreciates the passion Hoosiers have for basketball... and can, as you say be a great ambassador for IUBB. Compare and contrast that to Dan Dakich, who actually grew up in Indiana. I guess growing up outside of Indiana makes one appreciate the passion for the game in Indiana.

I would say that most of us that grew up IN Indiana, appreciate the passion for the game in OUR state! Vic is a different animal! He’s an Indiana kid that didn’t grow up in Indiana!

49 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Oh no! Mile won't be able to watch because he's used up his free access abilities.

Someone's going to have to pirate this for him

:D

If you use a private browser with indystar.com, you don't have to worry about that. I've been reading online articles for years without any issues.

10 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

He mentioned several times how awesome Rabjohns is today.  Leaving that judgement for another day,  I think what probably happened is that Dakich caught wind of the fact that we are going to get Romeo and in a really good place with TJD and Brooks, and Dakich sees the writing on the wall that IU is trending way up and that he needs to become a pro-IU cheerleader again or else he'll be on the wrong side of things.

We can only hope that it's all true, and comes to fruition.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Posting this here, not because of what he is saying about Romeo, but rather because of what he is saying about IU.  

Romeo Langford best in the country?

Party on Garth

Not very flattering.  My take from this article, and having gone to some Kansas message boards is they are kind of arrogant, and don't think very highly of IU.

1 minute ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

Not very flattering.  My take from this article, and having gone to some Kansas message boards is they are kind of arrogant, and don't think very highly of IU.

I think their biggest fear is a sleeping giant is waking.  If I were a Kansas fan, I would have relished in catching and then passing another blueblood in national titles.

1 hour ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

IU has not given much reason in the past few decades to "fear" them.  I believe we are seeing that worm change.  Also, in our most recent meeting, it was Kansas who limped back to Lawrence with an L.

Romeo will be picking IU.  He will be followed by several other high profile kids whose names we have been discussing on this board.  I am comfortable with where we are going.  I expect to start seeing guys like this get their mouth shut on the court, kind of like what happened in Hawaii the last time Indiana played Kansas.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Romeo will be picking IU.  He will be followed by several other high profile kids whose names we have been discussing on this board.  

I have posted that this is shaping up a lot like the Cody commitment, but your post highlights the real impact if it happens. Guys like Yogi were waiting on Cody's commitment and it largely turned the program around when he did. We're on the cusp of being very good again, Romeo likely would get us there, not just for his individual talent but for what it would do to open the gates, again.

13 hours ago, btownqb said:

I'm going to post this here, it's more to do with Oladipo, but some to do with Langford and recruiting though... 

Victor could be (will be) instrumental in our in-state recruiting going forward and it doesn't even have to be him talking to that recruit or this recruit. Archie says "look at how big Victor is in our state, it's no coincidence he went to IU".. when talking to recruits and it's over. VO has a chance to be bigger than Reggie in this state, I can't believe I'm typing that having grown up in the 90s and early 2000s. The bottom line is the goal for these kids is the NBA, as it should be.. and they'll be seeing Victor 82 games a year for their hometown team. (I realize not every kid is a Pacers fan, FS Sports IN is on nearly every cable provider we have, especially in Indy where IU needs more of a presence. His character and personality are second to none. If you're a parent and you see a guy like Victor came from IU.. wouldn't you want your son to follow his example? I believe the state will soon be enamoured by him and all those kids 5-14 years old currently will soon fall in love with him as we, as IU fans, have for these past 8 years. As a Pacer fan and an IU fan, I realize there are better players then him.. but there is no one I'd trade him for.. and I mean that. 

Great post. I actually was having a conversation yesterday and said Victor could surpass Reggie and I almost covered my mouth when I said it. I couldn't believe I actually said it, but it's true. 

7 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

IU has not given much reason in the past few decades to "fear" them.  I believe we are seeing that worm change.  Also, in our most recent meeting, it was Kansas who limped back to Lawrence with an L.

Friends, Region Rats, and IU fans, the world over.  I come here not to bury Kansas, but to praise them.  A long and proud basketball tradition. Second in overall wins. But then just as with UK... look at the conference they have been playing in for years.

Like many, today, Chris Taylor, only looks at recent history.  While jumping over the fact that KU lost their last meeting to IU in Hawaii, in overtime 103-99, as you so aptly point out IUCrazy2.

Let's take a deeper look into the histories of these two proud basketball schools and traditions. And go back to the year.... 1940.  It was IU and KU in the NCAAT National Championship game.  IU comes away with the victory. 60-42.  Jump to 1953. And low and behold. It's IU and KU again.  Two proud proud programs, playing in the National Championship... AGAIN !   And IU comes away with the trophy... AGAIN !  69-68.  Close, but no cigar for KU.

Talk about coming close.  KU has been in 8 National Championship games. Yet has only brought the trophy home 3 times.  While IU has been to just 6 National Championship games,  IU has brought the trophy home 5 of those times.

And one last thing, before dismissing IU.... take a look at the overall series record, between your Jayhawks and the Hoosiers.  IU leads 7-6 (updated to 8-6, thanks to Houston_Hoosier, and no thanks to the Indy Stars antiquated, IU system) .

So, Mr. Chris Taylor. Before you diss IU, in a feeble attempt to steer perhaps the best current prep Senior your way.... just know, historically there is every bit the reason, that Romeo should choose IU over KU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traditions run deep and long.  IU's first Assembly Hall :

Indiana_University_Gymnasium.jpg

49 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I have posted that this is shaping up a lot like the Cody commitment, but your post highlights the real impact if it happens. Guys like Yogi were waiting on Cody's commitment and it largely turned the program around when he did. We're on the cusp of being very good again, Romeo likely would get us there, not just for his individual talent but for what it would do to open the gates, again.

A year ago there was a lot of discussion about Romeo being a follower, and how he would allow Darius Garland to lead the way to their college destination.  No, the narrative is the exact opposite.  Now, Romeo is considered to be the leader of a 'movement' to bring players to IU.

I think the real impact is somewhere in between.  Romeo's choice will be his, and it will be based on what he feels is best for his long-term future.  Once that choice is made, you will not see Romeo out campaigning others to join him, however.  If there is a trickle-down effect, it's because people respect Romeo both on and off the court, not because they want to 'be where he is at'.

I don't see a Cody type effect here.  And, let's be honest, other than Yogi, who did Cody draw in that amounted to anything.  I see more of a Calbert Cheaney effect.  Romeo will immediately make us better on the court.  He will be our top scorer.  He will be a player the others defer to in the tough moments.  But, he will go about his business with grace, dignity, and respect of those around him.  Cheaney was the leader of some great IU teams,  Romeo can be the same.  But, just like Cheaney had Graham, Bailey, Henderson, Anderson, etc. as an outstanding supporting cast, Romeo will need the same.  He won't lift IU to elite status by himself.   

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll just say Cody and how he played/was used...had to have some impact on Noah and Bryant choosing us. Not saying completely but Cody didn't just bring Yogi with him. He paved way for others too.

Maybe so, but what did either really do for us?  Bryant was part of a Big Ten Championship and Sweet 16 team, but Yogi was the face of the team that year.  Vonleh coming here hurt the program more than it helped.

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe so, but what did either really do for us?  Bryant was part of a Big Ten Championship and Sweet 16 team, but Yogi was the face of the team that year.  Vonleh coming here hurt the program more than it helped.

So Yogi was the face, that's accurate and fine, but at the same time that team is a fringe bubble team without Bryant. He was a huge, huge reason why that season ended as successful as it did. 

I'm also not really sure the distinction you're trying to draw between Langford and Zeller? Both we're/are unassuming players that lead with their actions, effort and character. Neither are rah-rah, in your face guys, and should Langford pick IU he'll have a similar impact on recruiting as Zeller did. Whether the guys that came to IU partly because of Zeller were successful or not isn't on Zeller. The fact is Zeller, along with Oladipo, made it cool to come to IU again. They gave IU, along with Vonleh, guys that IU could point to as being lottery picks coming from IU as a real possibility. It's not Zeller and Oladipo's fault that Crean couldn't capitalize on it.  

I think Langford's impact could actually be greater long-term. If he comes to IU and pans out as well as we think he can, his long-term impact on the program could be a sort of combination Vic/Zeller. He'll have the hometown impact of Zeller combined with the NBA success of Vic. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Friends, Region Rats, and IU fans, the world over.  I come here not to bury Kansas, but to praise them.  A long and proud basketball tradition. Second in overall wins. But then just as with UK... look at the conference they have been playing in for years.

Like many, today, Chris Taylor, only looks at recent history.  While jumping over the fact that KU lost their last meeting to IU in Hawaii, in overtime 103-99, as you so aptly point out IUCrazy2.

Let's take a deeper look into the histories of these two proud basketball schools and traditions. And go back to the year.... 1940.  It was IU and KU in the NCAAT National Championship game.  IU comes away with the victory. 60-42.  Jump to 1953. And low and behold. It's IU and KU again.  Two proud proud programs, playing in the National Championship... AGAIN !   And IU comes away with the trophy... AGAIN !  69-68.  Close, but no cigar for KU.

Talk about coming close.  KU has been in 8 National Championship games. Yet has only brought the trophy home 3 times.  While IU has been to just 6 National Championship games,  IU has brought the trophy home 5 of those times.

And one last thing, before dismissing IU.... take a look at the overall series record, between your Jayhawks and the Hoosiers.  IU leads 7-6

So, Mr. Chris Taylor. Before you dish IU, in a feeble attempt to steer perhaps the best current prep Senior your way.... just know, historically there is every bit the reason, that Romeo should choose IU over KU.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Traditions run deep and long.  IU's first Assembly Hall :

Indiana_University_Gymnasium.jpg

While IU does have an 8-6 overall record against Kansas, since 1981 they have  pretty much owned us.   They knocked us out of the NCAA Tournament twice in the early 90's.  Even though I am a die hard Hoosier fan, I do not take offense to Taylor's comment "... at a severely less talented program like Indiana ..."    What have we done over the past 20+ yrs that makes one think that we are on the same level as consistently good programs - Kansas, Duke, NC, Mich. St. ?

IU vs KANSAS

8-6

3/30/40^ W  60-42 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

3/18/53^ W  69-68 Kansas City - NCAA Champ

12/6/71   W  59-56 Bloomington

12/5/72   W  72-55 Lawrence

12/5/73   W  72-59 Bloomington

12/4/74  W  74-70* Lawrence

12/29/81 L  61-71 New York

3/21/91   L  65-83 Charlotte – Sweet 16

12/5/92   L  69-74 Indianapolis

3/27/93    L 77-83 St. Louis – Elite 8

12/22/93  L 83-86* Lawrence

12/17/94 W 80-61 Bloomington

12/16/95  L 83-91 Kansas City

11/11/16 W 103-99 (OT) Honolulu

47 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Don’t blame Vonleh for Creans inadequate ability to surround him with talent. It was one of the toughest Hoosier teams to watch in the past 20 years, but it wasn’t the result of Vonleh. 

29 minutes ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

While IU does have an 8-6 overall record against Kansas, since 1981 they have  pretty much owned us.   They knocked us out of the NCAA Tournament twice in the early 90's.  Even though I am a die hard Hoosier fan, I do not take offense to Taylor's comment "... at a severely less talented program like Indiana ..."    What have we done over the past 20+ yrs that makes one think that we are on the same level as consistently good programs - Kansas, Duke, NC, Mich. St. ?

IU vs KANSAS

8-6

Since, according to your data, IU has played Kansas exactly once in the last 22 years, and won that one, rather than claiming that "since 1981, they have pretty much owned us", it would be more accurate to say that for a twelve year period ending almost a quarter of a century ago, they pretty much owned us.  And while that's perhaps of historical interest, I'm sure Romeo cares more about the strength of the two teams next year, and it's certainly debatable whether IU will be "severely less talented" then than Kansas.

47 minutes ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

IU vs KANSAS

8-6

So they owned us in the early 90s, which matters more than other periods? They’ve essentially won one title since we both won titles in the late 80s. They’ve had better results conference-wise no doubt, but in a much weaker conference historically. “Severely less talented program” is absolutely garbage and a ploy to Langford. That guy can’t in his right mind truly believe what he’s saying. I could argue that Kansas has been one of the most overrated and disappointing teams on a yearly basis. As many times they’ve been a one seed and failed is straight comical. And no way they have that one seed streak playing in the Big10 yearly.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Now, Romeo is considered to be the leader of a 'movement' to bring players to IU. 

Ah, the ‘ol movement.  Assuming Romeo does commit and starts a dominoe effect, I propose we coin it “the transition” or something else.  The movement just brings on not very fond memories.

5 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Since, according to your data, IU has played Kansas exactly once in the last 22 years, and won that one, rather than claiming that "since 1981, they have pretty much owned us", it would be more accurate to say that for a twelve year period ending almost a quarter of a century ago, they pretty much owned us.  And while that's perhaps of historical interest, I'm sure Romeo cares more about the strength of the two teams next year, and it's certainly debatable whether IU will be "severely less talented" then than Kansas.

As the rosters are currently constructed without Romeo, I think it’s fair to say that IU is severely less talented than Kansas.

Archived