Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Ah, the ‘ol movement.  Assuming Romeo does commit and starts a dominoe effect, I propose we coin it “the transition” or something else.  The movement just brings on not very fond memories.

Every time I hear The Movement...

Taco Bell.jpg

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

As the rosters are currently constructed without Romeo, I think it’s fair to say that IU is severely less talented than Kansas.

I don't.  He could have stopped at less talented and I would have agreed and not thought he was an arrogant douchebag,

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A year ago there was a lot of discussion about Romeo being a follower, and how he would allow Darius Garland to lead the way to their college destination.  No, the narrative is the exact opposite.  Now, Romeo is considered to be the leader of a 'movement' to bring players to IU.

I think the real impact is somewhere in between.  Romeo's choice will be his, and it will be based on what he feels is best for his long-term future.  Once that choice is made, you will not see Romeo out campaigning others to join him, however.  If there is a trickle-down effect, it's because people respect Romeo both on and off the court, not because they want to 'be where he is at'.

I don't see a Cody type effect here.  And, let's be honest, other than Yogi, who did Cody draw in that amounted to anything.  I see more of a Calbert Cheaney effect.  Romeo will immediately make us better on the court.  He will be our top scorer.  He will be a player the others defer to in the tough moments.  But, he will go about his business with grace, dignity, and respect of those around him.  Cheaney was the leader of some great IU teams,  Romeo can be the same.  But, just like Cheaney had Graham, Bailey, Henderson, Anderson, etc. as an outstanding supporting cast, Romeo will need the same.  He won't lift IU to elite status by himself.   

Naah. Cody’s impact was huge. Be honest? When Cody joined, first 5 star for Crean and a big time IN player, he opened IN recruiting in large part. He was huge, you don’t just look at his class. I’m not really following your distinction with Romeo or implication I’m saying he’ll go out and recruit. I didn’t say that. I’m saying he, much like Cody was for IU under Crean, would be a huge IN recruiting land that will likely put IU back square in the middle of the big time IN recruiting map 

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

The list of programs I hate is growing daily. 

To which I say.... "Don't hate the program." "Hate the fan base."

Regardless.... mrflynn03... I must say you have been a great addition to Hoosier Sports Nation... the last edition !

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So they owned us in the early 90s, which matters more than other periods? They’ve essentially won one title since we both won titles in the late 80s. They’ve had better results conference-wise no doubt, but in a much weaker conference historically. “Severely less talented program” is absolutely garbage and a ploy to Langford. That guy can’t in his right mind truly believe what he’s saying. I could argue that Kansas has been one of the most overrated and disappointing teams on a yearly basis. As many times they’ve been a one seed and failed is straight comical. And no way they have that one seed streak playing in the Big10 yearly.

It matters no more than referencing the 1940 &1953 seasons in the original post.  He picked a short time period...as did I.

According to Sports-reference.com, since the 1996-97 season - 1st year of Big 12 play :

The Big 10 has sent 128 teams to the tournament,  Big 12 125 teams

Number of schools ranked in the final AP top 25 - Big 10 76 teams,  Big-12 73 teams

Average SRS -  Big 10  12.07;  Big 12 11.68

Average SOS - Big 10 8.28;  Big 12 7.48

I don't know if the above numbers defines a conference as a  much weaker conference historically

Yes, Kansas has been a big disappointment come tournament time on a regular basis.   But I would rather have a team in the national discussion consistently as opposed to one where the topic is "wonder if we will make the NIT"

3 hours ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

It matters no more than referencing the 1940 &1953 seasons in the original post.  He picked a short time period...as did I.

According to Sports-reference.com, since the 1996-97 season - 1st year of Big 12 play :

Number of schools ranked in the final AP top 25 - Big 10 76 teams,  Big-12 73 teams

I don't know if the above numbers defines a conference as a  much weaker conference historically

Yes, Kansas has been a big disappointment come tournament time on a regular basis.   But I would rather have a team in the national discussion consistently as opposed to one where the topic is "wonder if we will make the NIT"

I wonder what those numbers look like if you remove IU and Kansas from the equation.  How much did Kansas hold those numbers up by continuing to be Kansas and how much did we drag down by not being IU...

8 hours ago, Houston_Hoosier said:

Better put.....who else in the Big12 has had consistent success outside of Kansas over the last 30 years? Now name Big10 teams that fit the bill.

10 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Better put.....who else in the Big12 has had consistent success outside of Kansas over the last 30 years? Now name Big10 teams that fit the bill.

I'll say this about Kansas: They are one of the historically successful NCAA teams, but they also had a period of less than elite success.  At this point they are in a prolonged period of winning games, getting the most talented players and have won a couple of titles.  Also, bear in mind that during this zenith they have had one coach found guilty of cheating (and I don't mean phone calls) in Larry Brown, another who was involved in some questionable activity, who then packed his bags and skeedaddled off to his alma mater in Roy Williams, and now are being scrutinized for more shenanigans.  From my perspective I've seen many instances of pot v.s. kettle between KU and UK fans.

1 hour ago, CrimsonV said:

Written by a really bad writer who has to find a way to write about Duke - he’s a big fan.  I’ve seen him antagonizing IU fans on Twitter as well.  

Yea that article was just not good.  Not sure what the purpose of it was, and it had zero substance.

46 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'll say this about Kansas: They are one of the historically successful NCAA teams, but they also had a period of less than elite success.  At this point they are in a prolonged period of winning games, getting the most talented players and have won a couple of titles.  Also, bear in mind that during this zenith they have had one coach found guilty of cheating (and I don't mean phone calls) in Larry Brown, another who was involved in some questionable activity, who then packed his bags and skeedaddled off to his alma mater in Roy Williams, and now are being scrutinized for more shenanigans.  From my perspective I've seen many instances of pot v.s. kettle between KU and UK fans.

Self is every bit as bad as Cal, and maybe worse.  I don’t know how there isn’t more heat on him, especially considering they have a kid sit out with eligibility issues like every single year.  

4 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Yea that article was just not good.  Not sure what the purpose of it was, and it had zero substance.

As I have stated on here several times, the News Sentinel stopped publishing a hard copy paper about a year ago, and only provides on-line content now. It appears to me that they scour the web for stories that they feel are pertinent to the market and do little in the way of quality control to ensure that the content is actually worth reading. I read their on-line "paper" almost every day....it's free. 

Guess the old adage holds true. You get what you pay for.

Archived