Romeo Langford

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You are running in the wrong circles...LOL...the positive people are a lot more fun!

I can’t say you’re wrong there. I’m from Evansville so half my friends are UK fans...been getting trolled hard for 25 years now lol. I think we’re just a little more jaded in the south. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest recruit since Gordon in my opinion. Impact on the court is big and off the court bigger for IU moving forward under Archie. Speaking of Archie and his staff. Wow if they can finish it off. When Archie was hired and said he knew where New Albany was I thought cool...let's see if we can get involved. To do this in one year where top 10 player recruiting relationships are developed over 2-4 years? 

I know the Louisville problems helped but still. Hope we close this one out next week.

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Not so fast, Let’s all REWIND to couple months ago before ALL this positivity took place & ask yourself if RL was coming to IU?  It was a LONG shot & why was this so?  Because RL said or did NOTHING to give Hoosier Nation any hope that he was staying home which raises many questions as to what ALL OF A SUDDEN changed?  If he was a true HOOSIER from the start, there be no questions along the way BUT that was not the case so ease up on the notion that RL DID have a change of heart for WHATEVER reason that be a business decision or whatever but it did happen!  I’m just glad it worked out for us HOOSIERS no matter how it went down but let’s be humble & acknowledge our Savior didnt always have Indiana as #1 option.  Go Hoosiers

My positivity goes back way before the 'last couple of months'.   I live in Southern Indiana and I started getting a vibe as early as 2-3 weeks after Archie was hired that IU had a very good chance to become a player for Romeo.  When Cal and Romeo didn't click over the summer during that international trip, I felt that helped pull IU the ranks up even farther.  When U of L imploded, in my opinion, IU became the frontrunner.

Proximity to New Albany has always been a major factor in Romeo's decision.  With UK and UL out of the mix, it was not surprising that IU and Vandy pulled ahead of what was left.  I don't blame Romeo one bit for waiting until he saw Archie's product on the floor before he made any sort of commitment.  In fact, Kansas gained some momentum as a 2nd choice when Vandy  embarrassed themselves on the court this season.  But, Lawrence Kansas is still in Kansas.  

All that said, I don't believe it's the proximity to New Albany, or Archie's vision that ultimately swung the tide to IU.  Those certainly played a part to getting IU into the conversation.  I believe the thing that (apparently) has put IU over the top is the fans.  Much like Vic has thrived being in Indiana with the Pacers, Romeo understands the power of having an entire state behind you.  He is comfortable with that and can thrive in that environment. 

Romeo Langford.....Kansas basketball player.

Romeo Langford.......Vandy basketball star.   

Romeo Langford......Indiana Legend.

Which one do you think has the most appeal?

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Your memory is quite a bit different than mine.  If you look back at the crystal ball timeline, IU was anything BUT a long shot two months ago.  In fact, going back to last October, IU has never been anything less than a co-favorite among the "experts".  I don't know where you are getting this alternative version of reality (maybe the Vandy fan forums?), but all I remember was a lot of conflicting signals about who was actually leading.  I have no recollection going back six months of IU being a long shot among most reasonable and unbiased minds.  No question, March of 2017, IU was a long shot at best, but that's old news and certainly older than two months.

I'm sure at different points in the recruitment, Romeo has had a change of heart, but none of us are mind readers to know when certain schools were leading in his mind.  How long has Romeo been leaning toward his current choice?  I'm guessing only his closest family really has any idea where he's been during the recruitment, but I believe IU has been a significant player a lot longer than two months.

...and as much as Romeo would mean to the trajectory of the program, he would likely laugh at the notion of being a savior to the program.  This program is bigger than a single recruit no matter how talented.  A player like Romeo is a big piece of the puzzle, but he's still a piece of something bigger.

My birthday was Feb. 22 on that day I received very good info that IU was in drivers seat. That is what I have shared since then. I agree with u 2 months ago we were very much in play 

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

I've never once thought Romeo was going anywhere but IU after HH. The "Vandy in the lead" thought was blown out of proportion. 

VANDY was never a real option. It met a few of the criteria that kept it in play. UL sealed their fate Cal killed UK.  Vandy served a purpose but this was from what I hear a 2 horse race and if IU truly was what the family hoped then he was ours to lose. Instead CAM more than delivered and we won him in every single way!!

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

It's truly incredible that just 1 year ago we had no shot with Romeo. Now it looks like we will land him. Nicely done, Arch. 

I was just thinking about personalities of players and coaches. Romeo has always appeared even keel, chill,  no nonsense and somewhat of an introvert. I wonder if he feels he and Coach Miller have some of the same characteristics? I know when Archie coaches he  is 100% all business and sometimes quite emotional during games. The only visual difference is Romeo's in-game emotion. It could quite possibly be that Romeo's emotion churns within! It is what drives him every second of the game. Romeo plays in stealth mode and attacks the basket as a cold blooded assassin.  Maybe some of these similarities are attractive to Romeo. I love his "fly under the radar" attitude. He leaves the floor every game as if to say, "it's all in a days work",....."it's what I'm called to do"....Next!

11 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Maybe it was the glass half empty in me or the glass half full in you but I know what I felt not too long ago & all signs pointed to Vandy to play with that punk DG.  Your opinions are not gonna change what I felt but I 100% agree none of us know for certain how the recruitment really went down but at the end of the day as long as he dons Candy Stripes nothing else matters.  IU hasn’t won a NC in over 30 yrs & RL is a once in a generational instate player so how is he not a Savior to this Program? Do you picture IU winning a NC w/o him anytime soon?  30 yrs my friend, 30 yrs so no better time than the present!  

I never bought the Vandy stuff. It just never made any sense whatsoever, and have pretty much felt IU would win this going back to HH. It wasn't something I would have bet on with certainty or anything, but just felt it would come down to IU and KU and the hometown fans would win out. 

On the savior thing, Langford is not the savior of the program. He's a missing piece (scoring/shooting long guard with athleticism) on a team that has a chance to be really, really good. As far as a national title, if you asked me if Langford will be on the team the next time IU wins a national title I would say no. Indiana can be really good next year if Langford comes and Morgan returns, but I wouldn't be picking IU to win the national title. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

My positivity goes back way before the 'last couple of months'.   I live in Southern Indiana and I started getting a vibe as early as 2-3 weeks after Archie was hired that IU had a very good chance to become a player for Romeo.  When Cal and Romeo didn't click over the summer during that international trip, I felt that helped pull IU the ranks up even farther.  When U of L imploded, in my opinion, IU became the frontrunner.

Proximity to New Albany has always been a major factor in Romeo's decision.  With UK and UL out of the mix, it was not surprising that IU and Vandy pulled ahead of what was left.  I don't blame Romeo one bit for waiting until he saw Archie's product on the floor before he made any sort of commitment.  In fact, Kansas gained some momentum as a 2nd choice when Vandy  embarrassed themselves on the court this season.  But, Lawrence Kansas is still in Kansas.  

All that said, I don't believe it's the proximity to New Albany, or Archie's vision that ultimately swung the tide to IU.  Those certainly played a part to getting IU into the conversation.  I believe the thing that (apparently) has put IU over the top is the fans.  Much like Vic has thrived being in Indiana with the Pacers, Romeo understands the power of having an entire state behind you.  He is comfortable with that and can thrive in that environment. 

Romeo Langford.....Kansas basketball player.

Romeo Langford.......Vandy basketball star.   

Romeo Langford......Indiana Legend.

Which one do you think has the most appeal?

I completely agree and me also being from Southern Indiana, I’ve heard similar things for quite some time. Although, I wasn’t confident until about 5 weeks ago. Archie has really outdone himself in his first full recruiting cycle. 

15 hours ago, Indykev said:

I think 5fouls is the only one to say maybe not one and done. I think a lot would have to go right for him to stay more than one year. imo.

That information came from a pretty darn good source (info was given in 2017).  Now, things change, and it's possible that there is new information. 

That said, everything the Langfords have done up to this point has been calculated. 

Could Romeo get drafted first round, even lottery, after his freshman season?  Absolutely.  Is that the BEST option for his pro career?  That's where the debate starts.  The G League is not on the Langford's radar.  Neither is averaging less than 10 minutes and 3 points a game as the 11th or 12th man on an NBA roster. 

Romeo will go to the NBA when the Langfords feel he is physically strong enough and his defense is solid enough for him to be an immediate rotation contributor.  I personally believe that will occur after his Sophomore year of college.  

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That information came from a pretty darn good source (info was given in 2017).  Now, things change, and it's possible that there is new information. 

That said, everything the Langfords have done up to this point has been calculated. 

Could Romeo get drafted first round, even lottery, after his freshman season?  Absolutely.  Is that the BEST option for his pro career?  That's where the debate starts.  The G League is not on the Langford's radar.  Neither is averaging less than 10 minutes and 3 points a game as the 11th or 12th man on an NBA roster. 

Romeo will go to the NBA when the Langfords feel he is physically strong enough and his defense is solid enough for him to be an immediate rotation contributor.  I personally believe that will occur after his Sophomore year of college.  

Well said, and makes sense. He hasn't yet played a second of college ball. I think we will have a much better idea on his status about half way thru the Conf season

Archived