Romeo Langford

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you have to read between the lines a bit. People sugar coat things in the media. I think the truth is that they clearly had communication with Crean, and of course the stuff about texting is so specific that I'm sure they did trade communication at various times over the last year and probably do really like the guy. But, I don't think there's chance that IU would be in Langford's final 3 heading down to a commitment if Crean was still the coach. 

The Langford's are clearly very classy people that handle things the right way, so they would have treated IU with respect, but no way IU was seriously in the mix if Crean was here. 

That's my thought as well.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think you have to read between the lines a bit. People sugar coat things in the media. I think the truth is that they clearly had communication with Crean, and of course the stuff about texting is so specific that I'm sure they did trade communication at various times over the last year and probably do really like the guy. But, I don't think there's chance that IU would be in Langford's final 3 heading down to a commitment if Crean was still the coach. 

The Langford's are clearly very classy people that handle things the right way, so they would have treated IU with respect, but no way IU was seriously in the mix if Crean was here. 

Exactly. I'm sure the Langford's felt about Tom Crean the way we did. Great guy. Great person. Not the guy we entrust to take us to the next level. I'm sure Tim felt the same way regarding his son.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A very salient point, IMHO. All along, but especially as the recruitment moved into it's later stages, the Langford's have emphasized how they were looking at the coach. His systems. How the coach comports himself in game time experiences. And how the coach relates to his players during games.  They have done their homework in terms of that.

That's not to say there was no contact with the Langford's and Crean.  I seem to recall, Romeo making several trips to AH, before Archie became coach. And of course, the Langford's  had many opportunities to watch Crean on tv.  It appears to me, that the Langford's did not care for Crean during games, and much prefer how Miller comports himself on the sidelines.  Speculation, on my part. I know.  But it makes sense to me as to why not much got off the ground with Crean.

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

To all the "Insiders" who claim Romeo wasn't being recruited by Crean or that IU had no shot with him if Crean was still the coach: "“A lot of Indiana fans didn’t, but we liked coach Crean,” Langford said. “They would have been in the mix. After he got fired, he stayed in contact for three months, asking how Romeo is doing and things like that. Even when he got the Georgia job, he texted us. We liked him, not just as a coach but a person.” -Tim Langford

This isn't intended to be a pro-Crean post but rather where do some of you come up with your "info"? 

He's just being nice and only say what he needs to say. The Langford family is very level-headed and knows how to handle the media and all the attention. Tom Crean towards the end of his tenure totally lost the state of Indiana. He had a hard time bringing in a top 100 Indiana kid, let alone Indiana Mr. Basketball. When he signed Grant Gelon, it was a game over. This should never ever happen to the IU coach. 

Just a little bit of information that I heard earlier in regards to Crean and the Langfords... maybe it’s already been shared, maybe not.

Anyway, Romeo liked Crean and how he developed his players as well. He really liked how he groomed DWade and Victor Oladipo into big time NBA players. 

Crean also had nothing but great things to say about Indiana, even after his dismissal. He even said that the program was in great hands under Archie Miller.

Now, I wanted Crean to move along as much as anyone. But the Langfords had legitimately approved of Crean, not only as a coach, but as a person as well(as stated in the article).

And for Crean to show the program nothing but love after getting let go is as classy as it gets. I’m not saying that we’d still be in the race for Romeo if Crean was still our coach, but I don’t know that we wouldn’t either. 

9 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Just a little bit of information that I heard earlier in regards to Crean and the Langfords... maybe it’s already been shared, maybe not.

Anyway, Romeo liked Crean and how he developed his players as well. He really liked how he groomed DWade and Victor Oladipo into big time NBA players. 

Crean also had nothing but great things to say about Indiana, even after his dismissal. He even said that the program was in great hands under Archie Miller.

Now, I wanted Crean to move along as much as anyone. But the Langfords had legitimately approved of Crean, not only as a coach, but as a person as well(as stated in the article).

And for Crean to show the program nothing but love after getting let go is as classy as it gets. I’m not saying that we’d still be in the race for Romeo if Crean was still our coach, but I don’t know that we wouldn’t either. 

One thing that can't be debated is that Tom Crean, for the most part, has handled his departure from IU in a very respectful, classy manner. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

One thing that can't be debated is that Tom Crean, for the most part, has handled his departure from IU in a very respectful, classy manner. 

Can't agree more.  Always with a good word about IU, despite what happened to him. Never an ill word about IU during his gig on ESPN.  And always willing to say the words... Indiana University... while working at ESPN.

16 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

well said Dano

I agree, Crean seems to be a good guy, great mentor, supportive to his players, doesn't hold a grudge, etc.  I don't think anyone will argue with that.  In line with his reputation of being a good person (and a person who understands what money is), he speaks highly of an institution that made him the highest paid public employee in the state.  If I was bringing in a salary like his (until he was hired by Georgia) from a former employer that I no longer work for, but still get paid by, I would really be a vocal supporter of them as well.  

I'm not trying to be a smart ass.  It just seems like an obvious move to make.  However, I understand there are grudge holders who get fired and despite still being paid, feel the need to verbally tarnish their former employers.  That just seems immature to me.  I guess public humiliation is a factor.  Who knows. 

1 hour ago, hoosier10 said:

Lol you truly believe that’s how they felt about Crean?  He’s obviously just being courteous and not throwing Crean under the bus.  

This is the dumbest thing I'll read all day...yea, I too often go way out of my way to compliment someone I don't like at all and volunteer further details and compliments just to throw people off the scent....obviously.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Tim Langford offered that info when asked his thoughts on Tom Crean. You're basically calling him a flat out liar for some self-serving reason which is a bit much based on zero facts. The point I was trying to make was that no one had any real info or reason to believe IU under Crean wouldn't get Romeo...it was all made up by fans who didn't like Crean. Like I said in another response, when someone asks you a vague question about your feelings for someone else, you don't offer up tid bits and elaborate on how much you liked the guy if you didn't. A "sugar coated" response would have been along the lines of "we respect Tom Crean as a coach and a person"...end of response.

I think it's fair for people to have their own opinion and assume Romeo wasn't truely considering IU before Archie but none of that would be derived from facts or inside knowledge. So for those who have repeatedly stated "Romeo never comes to IU if Crean is the coach" were simply making things up and should probably stop speaking in absolutes about things they know nothing about.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

This is the dumbest thing I'll read all day...yea, I too often go way out of my way to compliment someone I don't like at all and volunteer further details and compliments just to throw people off the scent....obviously.

Don’t put words in my mouth.  Never said they didn’t like Crean- go back and read my comment.  If you used your vast intelligence and read between the lines you would see that he was being courteous and professional.  Did you expect him to come out and say he wasn’t a good enough coach for Romeo?  Of course not.  Do you always take everything you read and see as gospel because that’s a precarious way to navigate life?

1 minute ago, hoosier10 said:

Don’t put words in my mouth.  Never said they didn’t like Crean- go back and read my comment.  If you used your vast intelligence and read between the lines you would see that he was being courteous and professional.  Did you expect him to come out and say he wasn’t a good enough coach for Romeo?  Of course not.  Do you always take everything you read and see as gospel because that’s a precarious way to navigate life?

Obviously...

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

The point I was trying to make was that no one had any real info or reason to believe IU under Crean wouldn't get Romeo...it was all made up by fans who didn't like Crean. Like I said in another response

IU was never landing Romeo under Crean. Keep pumping out your nonsense though buddy.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Tim Langford offered that info when asked his thoughts on Tom Crean. You're basically calling him a flat out liar for some self-serving reason which is a bit much based on zero facts. The point I was trying to make was that no one had any real info or reason to believe IU under Crean wouldn't get Romeo...it was all made up by fans who didn't like Crean. Like I said in another response, when someone asks you a vague question about your feelings for someone else, you don't offer up tid bits and elaborate on how much you liked the guy if you didn't. A "sugar coated" response would have been along the lines of "we respect Tom Crean as a coach and a person"...end of response.

I think it's fair for people to have their own opinion and assume Romeo wasn't truely considering IU before Archie but none of that would be derived from facts or inside knowledge. So for those who have repeatedly stated "Romeo never comes to IU if Crean is the coach" were simply making things up and should probably stop speaking in absolutes about things they know nothing about.

Yeah, I'm calling him a liar!?!? Whatever dude. I kind of thought the idea that people craft their message when dealing with the media was common knowledge!?!? I guess not. 

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

How is that “obvious?” 

Are you claiming Tim Langford and his comments can’t be taken at face value? 

Watching the interview with him yesterday, despite his excessive use of interjections, which plenty of people do when on camera, he did not at all strike me as someone who bullsh*ts.

Its alright to have an opinion, my friend, but projecting it onto someone else isn’t very couth.

It’s obvious because that’s how this stuff works. It’s called PR. Good lord some of you blow me away

53 minutes ago, A-hOhL said:

I agree, Crean seems to be a good guy, great mentor, supportive to his players, doesn't hold a grudge, etc.  I don't think anyone will argue with that.  In line with his reputation of being a good person (and a person who understands what money is), he speaks highly of an institution that made him the highest paid public employee in the state.  If I was bringing in a salary like his (until he was hired by Georgia) from a former employer that I no longer work for, but still get paid by, I would really be a vocal supporter of them as well.  

I'm not trying to be a smart ass.  It just seems like an obvious move to make.  However, I understand there are grudge holders who get fired and despite still being paid, feel the need to verbally tarnish their former employers.  That just seems immature to me.  I guess public humiliation is a factor.  Who knows. 

Exactly my sentiment. I couldn't have said better than you did though. 

The only thing I thought Crean could've done better was about the exit interview with Fred Glass, which didn't happen (totally ignored his former boss, yet Crean later said he would pray for Glass). I admire the way John Groce handled his termination a lot more than Tom Crean handled his. I know it's easier said than done.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I'm calling him a liar!?!? Whatever dude. I kind of thought the idea that people craft their message when dealing with the media was common knowledge!?!? I guess not. 

Of course *some* people do. However, Tim Langford, to me, seems like a straight shooter. That is, not a lot of smoke and mirrors were on display during his interview yesterday.

This is why I initially called out the poster claiming Mr. Langford was “obviously” saying one thing while his true intentions were different. I don’t do that. I don’t think others should, either. We shouldn’t “read between the lines”, particularly when a statement is salient and straight forward. Too many of us are far too quick to obscure something simple so that we may promote and lay our own more complex narrative in place.

Everyone here who has purported to claim to know what Langford actually meant shouldn’t do that. His words, his statement, speak for his personal mindset based on his personal experience. Those claiming to know better than the man himself and his own words should think better of doing so in the future.

Bear in mind, this is all coming from one who hasn’t been a Crean apologist for a long time and who hails from Dayton, Ohio and is extremely happy with Archie Miller as our head coach. This has everything to do with wanting to see folks have better taste and integrity than we’ve seen over the last page or so of this thread.

4 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

Of course *some* people do. However, Tim Langford, to me, seems like a straight shooter. That is, not a lot of smoke and mirrors were on display during his interview yesterday.

This is why I initially called out the poster claiming Mr. Langford was “obviously” saying one thing while his true intentions were different. I don’t do that. I don’t think others should, either. We shouldn’t “read between the lines”, particularly when a statement is salient and straight forward. Too many of us are far too quick to obscure something simple so that we may promote and lay our own more complex narrative in place.

Everyone here who has purported to claim to know what Langford actually meant shouldn’t do that. His words, his statement, speak for his personal mindset based on his personal experience. Those claiming to know better than the man himself and his own words should think better of doing so in the future.

Bear in mind, this is all coming from one who hasn’t been a Crean apologist for a long time and who hails from Dayton, Ohio and is extremely happy with Archie Miller as our head coach. This has everything to do with wanting to see folks have better taste and integrity than we’ve seen over the last page or so of this thread.

You’re really overthinking this. 

12 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

You guys are reading way too much into what hoosier10 and I are saying. We're not saying Tim Langford is some liar that's going out to the media trying to trick them and throw a bunch of "smoke and mirrors". Our comments aren't based on some "anti-Crean" narrative that you might think we're trying to create or some pro-Archie thing. 

It's simple PR. It's smart. It's crafting a message in an effort to control the conversation. There are reasons Tim Langford has handled almost all the interviewing and communication with media and coaches, and we haven't seen a ton of interviews with Romeo. 1) Is clearly to lessen his burden and keep him focused on the right things, but 2) is also to control the message, keep the message consistent, etc. Again, it's just smart PR. 

I'm not claiming, and never have, that the Langford's hate Tom Crean and are lying to us all through the media. As I previously stated, I'm sure they really like Tom Crean. I completely believe what Tim said about texting with Crean throughout the year and communicating with him, etc., etc. I'm sure they're impressed with what he's done with Wade, Oladipo, Troy Williams, etc. But, I don't really believe that IU would be in the mix if Crean was still the coach. No recruiting outlet felt that way, no insiders felt that way, etc. 

Archived