Romeo Langford

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You guys are reading way too much into what hoosier10 and I are saying. We're not saying Tim Langford is some liar that's going out to the media trying to trick them and throw a bunch of "smoke and mirrors". Our comments aren't based on some "anti-Crean" narrative that you might think we're trying to create or some pro-Archie thing. 

It's simple PR. It's smart. It's crafting a message in an effort to control the conversation. There are reasons Tim Langford has handled almost all the interviewing and communication with media and coaches, and we haven't seen a ton of interviews with Romeo. 1) Is clearly to lessen his burden and keep him focused on the right things, but 2) is also to control the message, keep the message consistent, etc. Again, it's just smart PR. 

I'm not claiming, and never have, that the Langford's hate Tom Crean and are lying to us all through the media. As I previously stated, I'm sure they really like Tom Crean. I completely believe what Tim said about texting with Crean throughout the year and communicating with him, etc., etc. I'm sure they're impressed with what he's done with Wade, Oladipo, Troy Williams, etc. But, I don't really believe that IU would be in the mix if Crean was still the coach. No recruiting outlet felt that way, no insiders felt that way, etc. 

Well said and my thoughts exactly

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Thought it was interesting another IU board was tweeting today saying their Romeo Langford thread had reached 273,000 views. Kudos to this board!

Thanks.  Good to know.  Keep in mind. Hoosier Sports Nation 3.0 is not even one year old. We are very small in comparison to some other IU fan boards that have been in existence for years, and in some cases, literally for decades.   I think it is great to have so many IU fan boards.  Just wish they were all free for members such as HSN 3.0.

So our friends on the KU board believe Tim Langford's comment about how Romeo announcing his decision at New Albany is not an indication that he's picking IU,  and if he doesn't pick IU that he expects the fans to support his decision, is the Langfords way of setting up IU fans to be prepared for a letdown.  

1 minute ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

So our friends on the KU board believe Tim Langford's comment about how Romeo announcing his decision at New Albany is not an indication that he's picking IU,  and if he doesn't pick IU that he expects the fans to support his decision, is the Langfords way of setting up IU fans to be prepared for a letdown.  

This is dedicated to the Kansas fans out there...

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

You guys are reading way too much into what hoosier10 and I are saying. We're not saying Tim Langford is some liar that's going out to the media trying to trick them and throw a bunch of "smoke and mirrors". Our comments aren't based on some "anti-Crean" narrative that you might think we're trying to create or some pro-Archie thing. 

It's simple PR. It's smart. It's crafting a message in an effort to control the conversation. There are reasons Tim Langford has handled almost all the interviewing and communication with media and coaches, and we haven't seen a ton of interviews with Romeo. 1) Is clearly to lessen his burden and keep him focused on the right things, but 2) is also to control the message, keep the message consistent, etc. Again, it's just smart PR. 

I'm not claiming, and never have, that the Langford's hate Tom Crean and are lying to us all through the media. As I previously stated, I'm sure they really like Tom Crean. I completely believe what Tim said about texting with Crean throughout the year and communicating with him, etc., etc. I'm sure they're impressed with what he's done with Wade, Oladipo, Troy Williams, etc. But, I don't really believe that IU would be in the mix if Crean was still the coach. No recruiting outlet felt that way, no insiders felt that way, etc. 

Two things I haven't said or intimated in any way, shape or, form:

1.) That you or hoosier10 have called Tim Langford a liar. 

2.) That you or hoosier10 are in any way anti-Crean.

What I do think is that you are mischaracterizing his statements and projecting your own thoughts and opinion as being his true subtext. As for reading into things or overcomplicating things, let's recap. My *entire* issue with what you've suggested and what hoosier10 has represented in his/her posts is that you are claiming to know Mr. Langford's thoughts/intentions below the surface of what he has said publicly. That is the sum total of my complaint. This isn't about the above two items. I never broached those topics (other posters may have). 

I stand behind my criticism of anyone who decides to promote their narrative beyond the actual words of another human being. If your position is that Mr. Langford is just being polite by saying nice things about Coach Crean, I'd ask: why would he bother? What is there to gain? In this case, it's easier to leave well enough alone and not even get into that topic. He did so willingly and with cogent thought. Moreover, I'd ask for you to provide some proof that you believe Mr. Langford *actually* feels that way, regardless of what he took time to actually say in an interview he knew would be seen by thousands of people. 

So, as for the overcomplicating and reading into things, I'd suggest that that's not happening on my end. Rather, it's happening on your end. 

51 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

Well...we see things through red glasses and they do through blue glasses. 

Surely the Langfords have to know if Romeo doesnt pick IU, with the way they have setup the announcement, that a whole lot of IU fans will be raw over it and turned off to supporting Romeo.  He would get some local support and that's it.

If its not IU I would think they would be more low key out of respect for fans.  After all, the people at his games were chanting IU, not Romeo, because IU is who we root for. 

Archived