Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, rico said:

3........maybe Archie has some sort of "back-up" plan?  

I don't think there's any doubt Archie could use Romeo...in short spurts...to bring the ball up.  Using a lineup like Romeo, McBob, Hunter, Smith, Juwan. Ultimately, I think DG and AD will own that PG spot, with the focus this off season on how to play point guard...as opposed to, here's how you play D, this is the D we are going to run, this is the offense, these are good decisions, these are good shots, these are bad shots, etc. Now, Archie can teach these kids to thrive in their role. 

I'll reiterate what I said about 50 pages ago. Romeo on this past year's team made them a 22 win team. Another year of development, influx of better talent and potentially a weaker Big 10. I feel pretty good about 22-24 win season, tourney berth....no doubt Romeo is huge on the court but I don't see it taking us to anything more than fringe top 25 at this point. 

With that said and to reiterate the tweet earlier...it sets the blueprint for how guys will be used. Recruiting momentum will be huge from just this one yes. 

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

I agree with you. But I'll propose this.....

Maybe Archie knows something we don't. Maybe he's gotten an "all-in" commitment from Devonte...he has gotten rave reviews about his spring workouts. Durham, Race and DG have been the standouts this spring. I think if we saw big jumps from Devonte and Al, no one would be surprised.

I say this, 1, because DG and AD have been 2 of the top 3 standouts in the spring, and 2, because I feel if Archie thought we were in trouble at guard, then he would have been a little more hot on some grad transfers or JUCOs...but seemingly, he wasn't. Don't think he even offered one.

If Durham and Green are ready to go and we add a 6'10" kid that can come in and hit 3's in the grad transfer, then I start to get excited.  That really spreads the floor for Juwan and Romeo to go to work.  I like the idea of being able to bang with Davis or switch up the offense by spreading the floor with a 3 pt. shooting big.

Durham, Green, and Phinisee are going to decide whether we have a good year or a great one.

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

Welcome to HSN! I suspect you have been lurking, so let me say welcome to posting on HSN! 

Thanks.  I have been lurking since I found this site last week (someone mentioned it on the Rivals site).  I had wondered what had happened to all of the good posters over the last year.

22 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

We made it to 500,000 views... nice.

Reacher beat me to it. However, I do want to say....Welcome to the wonderful world of Hoosier Sports Nation posting !

Now that you have gotten your feet wet,  keep it up.

Just now, GaloisGroupe said:

Thanks.  I have been lurking since I found this site last week (someone mentioned it on the Rivals site).  I had wondered what had happened to all of the good posters over the last year.

You found us.

Welcome! 🙂

2 hours ago, cohete15 said:

I agree with you. But I'll propose this.....

Maybe Archie knows something we don't. Maybe he's gotten an "all-in" commitment from Devonte...he has gotten rave reviews about his spring workouts. Durham, Race and DG have been the standouts this spring. I think if we saw big jumps from Devonte and Al, no one would be surprised.

I say this, 1, because DG and AD have been 2 of the top 3 standouts in the spring, and 2, because I feel if Archie thought we were in trouble at guard, then he would have been a little more hot on some grad transfers or JUCOs...but seemingly, he wasn't. Don't think he even offered one.

I hear you, though I don't put much stock in the offseason workout stuff. Green and Al better be looking good, there's literally no competition for them to go up against right now. None of the freshmen are there yet, etc. 

I really think Phinisee if going to be a great player for IU, will have to see how ready he is as a freshmen though. I also think Green has the chance to be great if he can just get consistent and under control. I think having a player the caliber/skill of Langford can really open things up for Green. 

Just saying our current backcourt isn't one where you look at it and say "wow, that's going to be a great, Final Four contending team". 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll reiterate what I said about 50 pages ago. Romeo on this past year's team made them a 22 win team. Another year of development, influx of better talent and potentially a weaker Big 10. I feel pretty good about 22-24 win season, tourney berth....no doubt Romeo is huge on the court but I don't see it taking us to anything more than fringe top 25 at this point. 

With that said and to reiterate the tweet earlier...it sets the blueprint for how guys will be used. Recruiting momentum will be huge from just this one yes. 

What separates our team next season with the Final Four teams this year?

Loyola - Definitely an outlier type of Final Four team - Next season's roster is ertainly more talented than they were, Romeo and Morgan (and possibly others) better than anyone on their squad  - Loyola's success came from them being a great team and playing the right way. I think Archie's system is conducive to both of those things, so if our players buy in (like they did at times last year) then I see no reason we can't be a much better team than they were last season

Michigan - Turned up the D and got hot late in the season to make a run to title game - Romeo and Morgan should be better than anyone they had with Wagner being close - Took them awhile to figure out their PG situation IIRC and once they did Simpsons contribution especially on D fueled their late season run - I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a similar season/run next year with figuring out the PG situation potentially being a similar obstacle for us to overcome as well

Kansas & Villanova - I don't see us being as talented or successful (season long) as either of these two teams were last season but closing the gap on them and other top tier programs is the goal/expectation for us next season

All that being said, I don't expect us to make the Final Four or win the championship because we got Romeo, but I certainly expect us to make the tourney and contend in the B1G. Once we're in the tourney then depending on match ups and upsets the FF could be a realistic opportunity and if you're in the FF then the championship becomes a realistic possibility

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

Loyola - Definitely an outlier type of Final Four team - Next season's roster is ertainly more talented than they were, Romeo and Morgan (and possibly others) better than anyone on their squad  - Loyola's success came from them being a great team and playing the right way. I think Archie's system is conducive to both of those things, so if our players buy in (like they did at times last year) then I see no reason we can't be a much better team than they were last season

Michigan - Turned up the D and got hot late in the season to make a run to title game - Romeo and Morgan should be better than anyone they had with Wagner being close - Took them awhile to figure out their PG situation IIRC and once they did Simpsons contribution especially on D fueled their late season run - I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a similar season/run next year with figuring out the PG situation potentially being a similar obstacle for us to overcome as well

Kansas & Villanova - I don't see us being as talented or successful (season long) as either of these two teams were last season but closing the gap on them and other top tier programs is the goal/expectation for us next season

All that being said, I don't expect us to make the Final Four or win the championship because we got Romeo, but I certainly expect us to make the tourney and contend in the B1G. Once we're in the tourney then depending on match ups and upsets the FF could be a realistic opportunity and if you're in the FF then the championship becomes a realistic possibility

This is what I’ve been thinking.  I agree with BGleas that the PG situation and lack of shooting seem to be weaknesses that will prevent us from being Final Four contenders.  But at the same time, I expect us to compete for and potentially win the Big Ten and get a top 4 seed in the tournament.  And at that point, anything can happen.

Stray thoughts:

1.  I've never heard anyone say, "I respect Skip Bayless."  He's parlayed his cartoonish thoughts into millions, but I've essentially got him on ignore.

2.  I am going to predict that Romeo ends up the best basketball player in this class.  A lot of times the recruiting gurus go ga-ga over athleticism.  What I see in Romeo is basically the perfect two-guard makeup.  His skills are outrageous and that's what counts most.  Really, with him it's the marriage of skills and athleticism.  When he gets stronger, his ability on both ends will be sky high.  At 6'6 with great reach, excellent mobility, and craftiness (watch him change speeds), it's hard to imagine a better skill set in the class.  We will see but I am riding with Romeo  over anyone else.

3.  The Indiana fan base is tremendous.  The support given to Romeo had to open his eyes.  It's unreal.  No other state would pour all that energy into Romeo.  With this fan base, IU will be a blueblood program for as long as any of us are alive.  

4.  How about Archie Miller for pulling this off?  According to the Indy Star, per the Langfords, IU was not a factor previously.  Even when the list was cut to three, IU did not lead.

5.  I have no problem with how Tim Langford handled anything.  I find the reference to Lavar laughable.  When I see Tim Langford, I want to give that man a hug, as a fellow father.  I have kids and I can imagine how he feels as he loves his children.  As a parent, you want the best for your child, and that is all I saw there.  I did not see grandstanding or whatever else you want to call what Lavar does.  He had a minister speak, which was great.  He came across great too.  At the end of the day, the community supported Romeo and Mr. Langford embraced that love and shot it right back to southern Indiana.  I appreciate him as a father.

25 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Wagner was really good in the tournament.  Not clear to me that either Romeo or Morgan will have that level of an impact individually in the tournament.  It sure would be cool if we could do a Michigan-like run next year...

I would just like to go back to something I said Pre-Romeo commitment. I know gocolts disagrees with me, but I still believe Romeo makes us cool again. It may not be the best choice of words, but getting Romeo is  more than just landing a 5 star kid. He is a big shot in the arm of confidence that our program hasn’t had in awhile. It shows confidence in our coaching staff, who has promoted starting inside out, making Indiana kids priority. Nothing against the other fine Indiana recruits Archie has landed before him, but Romeo is the poster child for many great things to come. Our home state is buzzing loud and from the way some of the insiders talk, the dominos are about to fall.

13 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I would just like to go back to something I said Pre-Romeo commitment. I know gocolts disagrees with me, but I still believe Romeo makes us cool again. It may not be the best choice of words, but getting Romeo is  more than just landing a 5 star kid. He is a big shot in the arm of confidence that our program hasn’t had in awhile. It shows confidence in our coaching staff, who has promoted starting inside out, making Indiana kids priority. Nothing against the other fine Indiana recruits Archie has landed before him, but Romeo is the poster child for many great things to come. Our home state is buzzing loud and from the way some of the insiders talk, the dominos are about to fall.

Who is this "gocolts" of which you speak? 

I love that we don't have to wait a few years to see Romeo in an IU uniform. One bonus of the late commit! Before we know it we'll see him in off-season workout videos.

Has anyone heard when he is actually signing his LOI? Did he do that Monday night? 

4 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

I love that we don't have to wait a few years to see Romeo in an IU uniform. One bonus of the late commit! Before we know it we'll see him in off-season workout videos.

Has anyone heard when he is actually signing his LOI? Did he do that Monday night? 

Was curious about the same...

I'm on the fence as to whether this protracted process has made the offseason seem shorter so far or if it will feel longer moving forward.

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Stray thoughts:

1.  I've never heard anyone say, "I respect Skip Bayless."  He's parlayed his cartoonish thoughts into millions, but I've essentially got him on ignore.

2.  I am going to predict that Romeo ends up the best basketball player in this class.  A lot of times the recruiting gurus go ga-ga over athleticism.  What I see in Romeo is basically the perfect two-guard makeup.  His skills are outrageous and that's what counts most.  Really, with him it's the marriage of skills and athleticism.  When he gets stronger, his ability on both ends will be sky high.  At 6'6 with great reach, excellent mobility, and craftiness (watch him change speeds), it's hard to imagine a better skill set in the class.  We will see but I am riding with Romeo  over anyone else.

3.  The Indiana fan base is tremendous.  The support given to Romeo had to open his eyes.  It's unreal.  No other state would pour all that energy into Romeo.  With this fan base, IU will be a blueblood program for as long as any of us are alive.  

4.  How about Archie Miller for pulling this off?  According to the Indy Star, per the Langfords, IU was not a factor previously.  Even when the list was cut to three, IU did not lead.

5.  I have no problem with how Tim Langford handled anything.  I find the reference to Lavar laughable.  When I see Tim Langford, I want to give that man a hug, as a fellow father.  I have kids and I can imagine how he feels as he loves his children.  As a parent, you want the best for your child, and that is all I saw there.  I did not see grandstanding or whatever else you want to call what Lavar does.  He had a minister speak, which was great.  He came across great too.  At the end of the day, the community supported Romeo and Mr. Langford embraced that love and shot it right back to southern Indiana.  I appreciate him as a father.

#2 - I can definitely see this as a big possibility, especially since the 3 from Duke are likely to "steal" from each other's opportunity to show themselves as the best. 

Archived