Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HoosierJon said:

While I am glad this is over and IU came out on top I am kind of sad that is over.  Kind of like Christmas, after the present are open you ask yourself "what now?" I need another 5 star to obsess over, soon.

Good to see you posting.  It was very much like Christmas, hopefully CAM brings us many recruiting holidays with even a tenth of the buildup leading to a commitment.

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm leaning towards dakich.  Always argumentative, always right, and used the exact phrase on the radio today. 

While they were both lousy coaches in real life, I'm pretty sure they are two different people.

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm leaning towards dakich.  Always argumentative, always right, and used the exact phrase on the radio today. 

lol no, Gc coached a girl's hs team for a while, don't know if he still is, but Dakich? No. Not going to attack a guy who isn't on this board to defend himself, but I will cast an aside about a long discussion we had back on the old scout board in which I was trying to talk about Vic's clear upside and ability coming out of DeMatha (where he averaged a double double as a guard), and the opinion was strongly stated that Vic was just a jumper, had no basketball skill or acumen, and that IU should've picked any IN HS player over Vic. And that continued and continued... Oh well.

52 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

lol no, Gc coached a girl's hs team for a while, don't know if he still is, but Dakich? No. Not going to attack a guy who isn't on this board to defend himself, but I will cast an aside about a long discussion we had back on the old scout board in which I was trying to talk about Vic's clear upside and ability coming out of DeMatha (where he averaged a double double as a guard), and the opinion was strongly stated that Vic was just a jumper, had no basketball skill or acumen, and that IU should've picked any IN HS player over Vic. And that continued and continued... Oh well.

Also stated at least half the NBA was more athletic than VO. I literally cannot make that up. 

Maybe this shouldn’t annoy me but it did.... I was just listening to Get Up and they started to talk about Romeo going to IU.  But then they brought up the quote from Tim Langford about how Kansas was out of the running because their name was brought up with the FBI scandal.  The annoying part was they made it sound like he would have clearly gone to Kansas except for that.   I think most on here feel like IU was the clear front runner before that all came out.  

7 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Maybe this shouldn’t annoy me but it did.... I was just listening to Get Up and they started to talk about Romeo going to IU.  But then they brought up the quote from Tim Langford about how Kansas was out of the running because their name was brought up with the FBI scandal.  The annoying part was they made it sound like he would have clearly gone to Kansas except for that.   I think most on here feel like IU was the clear front runner before that all came out.  

They're just creating spin.  They can spin all they want, Who cares!   He's with us now.

11 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

I'm surprised anyone watches that show. Kidding aside..I'm always amazed how clueless national guys are when it comes to information. And worse yet...how clueless Dakich, Schultz/Query are/were in regards to Romeo's recruitment even here in Indy. Spend 30 minutes worth of research on this thread alone could make those guys seem knowledgeable.

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm surprised anyone watches that show. Kidding aside..I'm always amazed how clueless national guys are when it comes to information. And worse yet...how clueless Dakich, Schultz/Query are/were in regards to Romeo's recruitment even here in Indy. Spend 30 minutes worth of research on this thread alone could make those guys seem knowledgeable.

That’s because sports “journalism”, at least on a national level, is an absolute myth. It’s all entertainment and op-ed’s. 

Its to the point where with any game I happen to watch, I’d just as soon turn the volume on the television off and turn music on. It’s been years since I’ve watched SportsCenter. I’d gladly just pay per game or per team I follow rather than pay a large percentage of my PlayStation Vue money go to 24/7 sports coverage I couldn’t care less about, least of which being the talking heads.

Its one of the many reasons cable providers are seeing a mass exodus. The cost for the services they offer are creaking under the enormity of money the ESPN contract demands.

Think this might have already been posted, but wanted to (re)post with a remark on a quote. The following quote shows how flawed the "if it's Indiana he would have committed already" theory was. Those of us who argued against that theory often said he likely hasn't made a decision yet and is focused on his HS season and other things.

"Langford’s father, Tim Langford, said the family sat down Friday to discuss Romeo’s decision. “He said at the beginning of the process, Indiana was not his choice,” Tim said. “He said, ‘Dad, it’s funny how long we dragged this out because Indiana was not my choice at first.’ But he has seen some things that made him say, ‘Indiana.’”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/30/indiana-basketball-wasnt-romeo-langford-first-choice-originally/559464002/

1 hour ago, HoosierMama said:

I was annoyed over hearing my neighbors (Turdue fans) saying the same thing when I was doing yard work yesterday. It amazes me how easily people can be misinformed. When I was watching the announcement stream, I saw all sorts of misinformation, mostly rumors that have lived and died on this thread long ago (his gf is transferring to IU, Garland is his best friend, Grimes is his best friend, etc.)

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I was amazed how clueless Dakich, Schultz/Query, JMV, and Kent Sterling were at times when I've listened to them. Seemed like they were weeks or months behind this thread and talking backlash and if it's Indiana he would have committed already non-sense.

11 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I was amazed how clueless Dakich, Schultz/Query, JMV, and Kent Sterling were at times when I've listened to them. Seemed like they were weeks or months behind this thread and talking backlash and if it's Indiana he would have committed already non-sense.

Yep...especially with Query. He tries to pride himself on Indiana hoops knowledge. It was funny how clueless he was...so my guess is he intentionally wasn't hyping the recruitment for a variety of reasons. The main one being that he and his little sidekick tend to distance themselves from being labeled as IU homers so they downplay certain things or don't cover as much.

I mean they had Kravitz on Monday before announcement and all Jake could do is listen to himself talk about Calbert, Damon,etc...as opposed to Romeo's day. That's the part of journalism or whatever radio guy is considered these days that is puzzling I guess....let the kid have his day. Do the comparisons down the road. 

17 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We are going to have to get used to conspiracy theories if we continue to land top ten talent. "The player is on the take", "Archie is dirty like his brother", etc. Comes with the territory.

And I'll laugh each time I hear that....if I ever do. People know that IU has been a sleeping giant for 2 decades. And for the sake of conversation..I'll gladly enter into debate with any fan of Kentucky, Louisville, North Carolina, Kansas, Arizona, UCLA or Sparty and plenty of others about the definition of dirty. 

2 hours ago, HoosierMama said:

I've seen several media outlets bring this story up. Funny how they all leave out the fact that Romeo said it wouldn't impact his decision, AKA, he wasn't going to KU anyways. 

Maybe they should consider applauding Romeo and his family for saying that they don't want to associate themselves with a program like that, no matter "how good their basketball is". If I were KU, I'd worry that maybe other kids (like Hurt) hear that and realize that they also have other programs available to them that aren't tied up in scandals.  

Switch of subject here but I was listening to the podcast with Bozich and son and the Dad set some pretty low expectations for Romeo. He had him in the 12-16 range and thought he might struggle with the physicality (“Eric Gordon was a man”). Turned it off after that. 

We getting ahead of ourselves, he off in his projections, or he just tempering expectation? I have him somewhere in the 15-19 range. 

Archived