Romeo Langford

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Switch of subject here but I was listening to the podcast with Bozich and son and the Dad set some pretty low expectations for Romeo. He had him in the 12-16 range and thought he might struggle with the physicality (“Eric Gordon was a man”). Turned it off after that. 

We getting ahead of ourselves, he off in his projections, or he just tempering expectation? I have him somewhere in the 15-19 range. 

Expectations being tempered. Rabjohns said Romeo puts us at around a 4th-5th place finish in the B1G. 

I think realistically, the floor is 3rd-4th place. Ceiling is 1st. This will mostly be determined by Devonte Green. 

But it really does those journalists no good to predict a 1st-2nd place finish. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ I think if romeo went anywhere else they would build up expectations and say the sky is the limit.  But for whatever reason, no matter how well things are going, people just have to rag on IU.

People say he is a one and done then turn around and say he wont perform.  What gives?

2 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Expectations being tempered. Rabjohns said Romeo puts us at around a 4th-5th place finish in the B1G. 

I think realistically, the floor is 3rd-4th place. Ceiling is 1st. This will mostly be determined by Devonte Green. 

I agree with the standings point but I meant kind of more in regards to Romeo. If he averages around 12 then I’d call that pretty underwhelming. ESP in a weak big ten. 

Btw, I think you’re right on Devonte. I know he gets some stick but I’ve always rated him. I think he has some of the special qualities you can’t teach. I think it will start to click with him next year.

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

Think this might have already been posted, but wanted to (re)post with a remark on a quote. The following quote shows how flawed the "if it's Indiana he would have committed already" theory was. Those of us who argued against that theory often said he likely hasn't made a decision yet and is focused on his HS season and other things.

"Langford’s father, Tim Langford, said the family sat down Friday to discuss Romeo’s decision. “He said at the beginning of the process, Indiana was not his choice,” Tim said. “He said, ‘Dad, it’s funny how long we dragged this out because Indiana was not my choice at first.’ But he has seen some things that made him say, ‘Indiana.’”

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/30/indiana-basketball-wasnt-romeo-langford-first-choice-originally/559464002/

C'mon man.  Surely you can see Tim was just being polite.  Everyone with an IQ higher than a banana knew he was only dragging it out to avoid backlash.  :coffee:

I think Romeos points will depend on several factors. I think if the other pieces brought in bring some offensive punch, he won't have to take over as much and take what the game offers. If others struggle, I think Romeo has the capacity to ramp things up. I like it that he is very capable of torching teams from the perimeter, blasting by defenders for a dunk or pulling up for the mid-range. He's a complete offensive package.

I also don't worry about his physicality. There have been some pretty skinny kids (skinnier than RL) play for UK of late and they have succeeded just fine.

14 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Ok cool. I thought those comments were either a little silly or he’s really just setting the bar low on purpose. Cheers guys.

I think it speaks to humility.  I would worry about a freshman coming in saying that he is going to average 20 a game.  We have some fairly established players on the team.  12 to 16 a game sounds like Romeo is coming to help.  20 sounds like he is planning to come in and take over.

If you are a current IU player, you know this kid is good.  The humility he is coming with makes it easier to swallow if he does take a bigger role.

1 hour ago, cohete15 said:

This is just ridiculous.  We graduate one kid whose contributions we might miss a little (Rob) and bring in a top 10 recruiting class, and we’re only being projected to finish one spot higher in the conference than we did last year?  Bull---.

If Romeo committed anywhere else in the Big Ten, everyone would be calling that team the favorite.  But for some reason, people are talking like IU is a bubble team with Romeo and Juwan next season.  OSU and Purdue lost everyone.  UM, MSU, and PSU lost their best players.  Maryland will be just as young and unproven as we are, with a worse coach.  The rest of the Big Ten is trash.  IU is the favorite.

Edit - Not trying to take a shot at you here cohete.  I just think the way IU is being discounted by the media and other fanbases is annoying.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

^^^ I think if romeo went anywhere else they would build up expectations and say the sky is the limit.  But for whatever reason, no matter how well things are going, people just have to rag on IU.

People say he is a one and done then turn around and say he wont perform.  What gives?

Sadly we are pretty easy to rag on, last really great team got bounced in the sweet 16, and beat badly at that. 

I know Hulls had a shoulder issue, and this or that. But, like I said last week 93’-94’ was the last time we had a real chance. I’m throwing out 02

27 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is just ridiculous.  We graduate one kid whose contributions we might miss a little (Rob) and bring in a top 10 recruiting class, and we’re only being projected to finish one spot higher in the conference than we did last year?  Bull---.

If Romeo committed anywhere else in the Big Ten, everyone would be calling that team the favorite.  But for some reason, people are talking like IU is a bubble team with Romeo and Juwan next season.  OSU and Purdue lost everyone.  UM, MSU, and PSU lost their best players.  Maryland will be just as young and unproven as we are, with a worse coach.  The rest of the Big Ten is trash.  IU is the favorite.

Edit - Not trying to take a shot at you here cohete.  I just think the way IU is being discounted by the media and other fanbases is annoying.

Luckily it will be decided on the court.  I think 22 wins should be our baseline.  Much of next season's success will revolve around the PG position.  If one of the 3 point guards is a solid contributor, we are looking good.

The media and other fans are going to discount Indiana until we have some sustained success.

As an educator, this was the reason I wanted Romeo at IU. Look at this picture... in the most important moment of his 18 year old life, he takes time out of it to recognize a young fan (with his custom made jersey on it) to smile and give him a high five and a hand shake. It wasn't like the kid was on stage either... Romeo walked 10ft or so to get to the kid. Awesome. His character is his best attribute. Mr. Langford, enjoy your time in Bloomington.. you already have a huge fan in me. 

Screenshot_20180502-135637.png

Absolutely.  When I heard he stays after every game win lose or draw, sometimes for an hour, to sign kids' autographs, that tells me all I need to know about wanting this kid.  I appreciate Romeo for his character and to his parents for raising him to be such a quality guy,  

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Luckily it will be decided on the court.  I think 22 wins should be our baseline.  Much of next season's success will revolve around the PG position.  If one of the 3 point guards is a solid contributor, we are looking good.

The media and other fans are going to discount Indiana until we have some sustained success.

I agree,  it seems like every time in the last 5 years or so, IU has not met expectations when the media shows a little love. I think everyone is a little gun shy with IU. Myself included.

I think it is reasonable to pick Michigan State ahead of IU when they have Ward, McQuaid, their vet PG who reminds me of the rapist point guard Appling but I cannot recall his name, et al.  We do have a question mark at PG.  We can be optimistic that things will fall in place, but logically, based on what we know, MSU is a logical pick.

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think it is reasonable to pick Michigan State ahead of IU when they have Ward, McQuaid, their vet PG who reminds me of the rapist point guard Appling but I cannot recall his name, et al.  We do have a question mark at PG.  We can be optimistic that things will fall in place, but logically, based on what we know, MSU is a logical pick.

Cassius Winston 

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I guess this last sentence is what I don’t get.  Yeah, we’re coming off two bad seasons, and the team was up and down under Crean, but it’s not like we’ve been some scrub program for the last decade.  We’ve had three decent tournament runs and two conference championships over the last seven seasons.  We’ve beaten a ton of top 5/blueblood teams over that time period.  And now we have a guy who is pretty much unanimously viewed as a good young coach, we should bring back a CPOY-candidate senior, and we’re bringing in the best recruit in the conference by far.

That compares favorably to plenty of teams that get more respect than we do.  How is a team like friggin Vanderbilt getting mentioned as a national championship contender with two recruits and no one else, but IU “might get back to the tournament next year”?

50 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree with you. But I like the “disrespect” at this point. The nation will hear Archie & Co. loud and clear real soon. 

Last year it seemed like alot of games the guys were just trying not to lose.  

Romeo seems like the type that wants to win and losing isnt on his radar.  If Morgan comes back he seems the same way.  maybe the other guys can feed off of them and play to their potential as a result.

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As an educator, this was the reason I wanted Romeo at IU. Look at this picture... in the most important moment of his 18 year old life, he takes time out of it to recognize a young fan (with his custom made jersey on it) to smile and give him a high five and a hand shake. It wasn't like the kid was on stage either... Romeo walked 10ft or so to get to the kid. Awesome. His character is his best attribute. Mr. Langford, enjoy your time in Bloomington.. you already have a huge fan in me. 

Screenshot_20180502-135637.png

Agree 100%. Loved this moment when I watching the stream. 

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I haven't had the time to try to break down the other conference teams next season, who's returning, who is coming in, etc.

No idea what our realistic floor or ceiling is for next season yet without understanding the other conference teams and working through their expected strengths and weaknesses, but I can see IU being a force next season if a couple things fall into place -- Green maturing / raising his game at the point, Durham having a frosh to soph jump -- I think we've forgotten how well he started his frosh season -- if he develops a jumper, watch out, he has a LOT of upside on ball, Smith having a real breakout year that looks fairly likely at this point, and guys staying healthy, ESPECIALLY Morgan. The point guard / primary on ball spot is our real question mark, it was on and off this past season but was run by vets, now it's up to the young guys to take that step forward, if they do, we're pretty loaded.

Archived