Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Mainly because of the schedule when teams some times play 4 games in 5 nights all in different cities.  to me the regular season is way to long and it leads to teams having some players take some time off during the season.

And there in lies one of the problems.  A case of money.  Agree, guys need to pace themselves.  My question, as a fan.  Paying money to go to an NBA game.  As it gets costlier to attend.  Which game do I chose to attend ? The one the guys intend to take a night off from ?  Or the one they play up to or beyond their potential ? 

I agree with you.  Too many games, lead to some lousy performances.  As an attending fan, it can be problematic.  However, with tv revenues.... doubt there will be a reduction in numbers of regulars season games.  In fact.... the playoffs seem to last for an eternity now.  Keeping in mind, I started following the NBA when there were just 8 teams in the league.... and the Fort Wayne Pistons were one of those teams.  LOL  Not saying expansion was a bad thing. But chasing money is.

6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That you don't follow the NBA is kind of obvious here.

Admit that I don't follow the NBA. I haven't made any bones about that.   However, I do follow Hoosier Sports Nation.  In case YOU missed it.  It WAS stated in this thread by ONE of our members, that NBA players DO take nights off.... BEFORE the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Admit that I don't follow the NBA. I haven't made any bones about that.   However, I do follow Hoosier Sports Nation.  In case YOU missed it.  It WAS stated in this thread by ONE of our members, that NBA players DO take nights off.... BEFORE the playoffs. 

AMAZING that in an EIGHTY-PLUS GAME SCHEDULE a poster thinks some PLAYERS take a night off. Which has little to do with anything, but ok.

58 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

AMAZING that in an EIGHTY-PLUS GAME SCHEDULE a poster thinks some PLAYERS take a night off. Which has little to do with anything, but ok.

No. That's exactly my point.  Thanks for making it for me.  They do take night's off.  And I would not want to be the paying customer, going to a game,  the night they take the night off.   And why would I want to watch it on tv the night they took the night off either ?  I did turn on an NBA game a while back to check into Gordon out of curiosity.  And he was horrible that night.  So much for the NBA.  Not my cup of tea.   No problem if that is your taste.  Just not mine.  Especially considering what they get paid.  Understand the season is long, and all. Yet they get paid handsomely. And get an entire summer off.  So it baffles the mind ( mine, at least) that they would take a night off... considering what they are getting paid.... to play a game. 

Enjoy that heat and humidity in Houston. 

On 6/26/2018 at 6:57 PM, milehiiu said:

No. That's exactly my point.  Thanks for making it for me.  They do take night's off.  And I would not want to be the paying customer, going to a game,  the night they take the night off.   And why would I want to watch it on tv the night they took the night off either ?  I did turn on an NBA game a while back to check into Gordon out of curiosity.  And he was horrible that night.  So much for the NBA.  Not my cup of tea.   No problem if that is your taste.  Just not mine.  Especially considering what they get paid.  Understand the season is long, and all. Yet they get paid handsomely. And get an entire summer off.  So it baffles the mind ( mine, at least) that they would take a night off... considering what they are getting paid.... to play a game. 

Enjoy that heat and humidity in Houston. 

Have not participated in this discussion until now. Listening on Golic and Wingo this morning, the discussion was centered around the World Cup and the Belgian coach who stated that "the objective of today's game (vs. England) was to not win." Evidently, if they do win, they move into a more challenging game in the next round and would rather lose and play a less difficule opponent. Just reaffirms that this happens a lot, however this is the first I have ever seen a coach be so blatantly open about it.

4 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Have not participated in this discussion until now. Listening on Golic and Wingo this morning, the discussion was centered around the World Cup and the Belgian coach who stated that "the objective of today's game (vs. England) was to not win." Evidently, if they do win, they move into a more challenging game in the next round and would rather lose and play a less difficule opponent. Just reaffirms that this happens a lot, however this is the first I have ever seen a coach be so blatantly open about it.

Didn't Cuban get in some trouble for openly talking about tanking the end of the season for draft purposes?

2 hours ago, rico said:

OK.  So let me get this straight.  I have been contending that NBA players take days off.  And that is the reason, why, I don't follow the NBA any longer.  While others say NBA players play great "D".   Yet, we have an NBA owner, out of Texas who reportedly told his team to lose ?   That's even worse than what I have been saying.  Not only taking a night off... but the remainder of the season ?   WOW

Now counterpoint.  I recall one game years ago, where Bobby Knight sat his starters, in order to send a message.  Feeling the starters could do better, than they were showing. Quite different, IHMO.... as Bobby was trying to motivate his players to win, not to lose. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 8:14 AM, cybergates said:

Do you think Vonleh being a one and done had a positive/negative/neutral impact on the program? I've read previously why you think it would be positive for Romeo, but if he came back and led IU to NCAA championship that would be the biggest positive for the program imaginable. 

I think it had a positive impact because one of the biggest recruiting pitches that Tom had going for him was that his system put a spotlight on the modern NBA mobile big. Tom didn't have the coaching acumen to out maneuver the top coaches and I think he was aware of that. I think I had a really good grasp on what Tom was trying to do and frankly in theory it's not a terrible idea. Tom knew he couldn't recruit like Cal, Coach K, or Self and I think he knew that to win a title and beat these stacked teams then he was going to need a system that can beat anybody at anytime if a few things went his way. His pace and space with mobile bigs and great shooters was the right idea he just didn't know how to maximize the 'chaos' of his system. Obviously he wasn't good enough but I actually liked what he was attempting to do and if a few things went his way then he could build a squad good enough to raise a banner.

It's no secret then I have no respect for the B1G and think a lack of talent of NBA talent is the reason why they're always the bridesmaid and never the bride. I think that I was/am mostly right about that but Beilein got there twice (lot of luck on this last one...played the 7, 9, and 11 to make the finals where they were slaughtered) and obviously Wright has two titles so I'm open to altering that view point. I know I'm in the minority here but I'd like us to be more like UK/Duke than UNC/Nova for selfish reasons (I want your Kyries, Walls, Cousins, AD's at IU because I love the NBA). Obviously somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot and I think we can do it.

I was pitching getting Romeo in and out because I thought that we we're a level two away from regularly pulling in top 10-15 players and being a legit draw for the odd top 5 player. The b1g has never been a draw for those types except on a few rare occasions with Mata and a couple classes with Izzo. So my thinking is that we're going to have to do some work to make that a reality and it might take a few classes. Showcasing Romeo to where he can average 16 and be a top 5 pick might go a long ways at getting us to where I'd like us to be.

We have a legit shot at Trayce, Carton, and Keion so if we're able to pull that off then I was wrong about where our national standing is. Obviously I'd prefer IU success over being an NBA rental program so if Romeo came back and led us to a deep run and then got drafted then that's perfect but I'm factoring in the fact that he'll probably be top 5 and we might not quite be ready to contend for a title his soph year. 

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I think it had a positive impact because one of the biggest recruiting pitches that Tom had going for him was that his system put a spotlight on the modern NBA mobile big. Tom didn't have the coaching acumen to out maneuver the top coaches and I think he was aware of that. I think I had a really good grasp on what Tom was trying to do and frankly in theory it's not a terrible idea. Tom knew he couldn't recruit like Cal, Coach K, or Self and I think he knew that to win a title and beat these stacked teams then he was going to need a system that can beat anybody at anytime if a few things went his way. His pace and space with mobile bigs and great shooters was the right idea he just didn't know how to maximize the 'chaos' of his system. Obviously he wasn't good enough but I actually liked what he was attempting to do and if a few things went his way then he could build a squad good enough to raise a banner.

It's no secret then I have no respect for the B1G and think a lack of talent of NBA talent is the reason why they're always the bridesmaid and never the bride. I think that I was/am mostly right about that but Beilein got there twice (lot of luck on this last one...played the 7, 9, and 11 to make the finals where they were slaughtered) and obviously Wright has two titles so I'm open to altering that view point. I know I'm in the minority here but I'd like us to be more like UK/Duke than UNC/Nova for selfish reasons (I want your Kyries, Walls, Cousins, AD's at IU because I love the NBA). Obviously somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot and I think we can do it.

I was pitching getting Romeo in and out because I thought that we we're a level two away from regularly pulling in top 10-15 players and being a legit draw for the odd top 5 player. The b1g has never been a draw for those types except on a few rare occasions with Mata and a couple classes with Izzo. So my thinking is that we're going to have to do some work to make that a reality and it might take a few classes. Showcasing Romeo to where he can average 16 and be a top 5 pick might go a long ways at getting us to where I'd like us to be.

We have a legit shot at Trayce, Carton, and Keion so if we're able to pull that off then I was wrong about where our national standing is. Obviously I'd prefer IU success over being an NBA rental program so if Romeo came back and led us to a deep run and then got drafted then that's perfect but I'm factoring in the fact that he'll probably be top 5 and we might not quite be ready to contend for a title his soph year. 

Good post.

Archived