Romeo Langford

11 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

I think it had a positive impact because one of the biggest recruiting pitches that Tom had going for him was that his system put a spotlight on the modern NBA mobile big. Tom didn't have the coaching acumen to out maneuver the top coaches and I think he was aware of that. I think I had a really good grasp on what Tom was trying to do and frankly in theory it's not a terrible idea. Tom knew he couldn't recruit like Cal, Coach K, or Self and I think he knew that to win a title and beat these stacked teams then he was going to need a system that can beat anybody at anytime if a few things went his way. His pace and space with mobile bigs and great shooters was the right idea he just didn't know how to maximize the 'chaos' of his system. Obviously he wasn't good enough but I actually liked what he was attempting to do and if a few things went his way then he could build a squad good enough to raise a banner.

It's no secret then I have no respect for the B1G and think a lack of talent of NBA talent is the reason why they're always the bridesmaid and never the bride. I think that I was/am mostly right about that but Beilein got there twice (lot of luck on this last one...played the 7, 9, and 11 to make the finals where they were slaughtered) and obviously Wright has two titles so I'm open to altering that view point. I know I'm in the minority here but I'd like us to be more like UK/Duke than UNC/Nova for selfish reasons (I want your Kyries, Walls, Cousins, AD's at IU because I love the NBA). Obviously somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot and I think we can do it.

I was pitching getting Romeo in and out because I thought that we we're a level two away from regularly pulling in top 10-15 players and being a legit draw for the odd top 5 player. The b1g has never been a draw for those types except on a few rare occasions with Mata and a couple classes with Izzo. So my thinking is that we're going to have to do some work to make that a reality and it might take a few classes. Showcasing Romeo to where he can average 16 and be a top 5 pick might go a long ways at getting us to where I'd like us to be.

We have a legit shot at Trayce, Carton, and Keion so if we're able to pull that off then I was wrong about where our national standing is. Obviously I'd prefer IU success over being an NBA rental program so if Romeo came back and led us to a deep run and then got drafted then that's perfect but I'm factoring in the fact that he'll probably be top 5 and we might not quite be ready to contend for a title his soph year. 

Agree with some of your points but I would never want IU to recruit like UK or Duke with all one and done players.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Agree with some of your points but I would never want IU to recruit like UK or Duke with all one and done players.

I think you can recruit similar to these 2 with one slight difference.  You recriut the 5*s that fit your program.  Not every 5 * in the country and hope to get a boat load of them.  2 perfect fitting 5*s is hand down better than 4 that don't fit anywhere into your program style.

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:57 PM, milehiiu said:

No. That's exactly my point.  Thanks for making it for me.  They do take night's off.  And I would not want to be the paying customer, going to a game,  the night they take the night off.   And why would I want to watch it on tv the night they took the night off either ?  I did turn on an NBA game a while back to check into Gordon out of curiosity.  And he was horrible that night.  So much for the NBA.  Not my cup of tea.   No problem if that is your taste.  Just not mine.  Especially considering what they get paid.  Understand the season is long, and all. Yet they get paid handsomely. And get an entire summer off.  So it baffles the mind ( mine, at least) that they would take a night off... considering what they are getting paid.... to play a game. 

Enjoy that heat and humidity in Houston. 

One thing I have to give credit to Lebron is he played all 82 games this year...over 100 by the time the playoffs were over. He gave the fans their money's worth. I agree I'm always leary to buy NBA tickets. I had an offer to buy tickets from a friend for the GS game at home this year and I'm so so glad I didn't. Curry, Thompson, Green, Durant didn't play.....how disappointing would that be?! I remember many years back I took my dad and 3 brothers to a Pacers game against Orlando. It was a big deal because my dad had never been to an NBA game. It sucked because a couple days before the Malice in the Palace happened. Indiana had like 7 players suited up...no Artest, JO, Stephen Jackson, I can't remember if Reggie was injured or he got suspended too...but Fred Jones went for like 30 in a loss and we had no one to guard Dwight Howard. I was disappointed but at least the Pacers played hard and it was a good game. People pay to see stars...it would be like going to a show on broadway and the headliners taking the night off. NBA should work on that I agree.

Here is my Romeo question...please I'm not trying to hate on the kid or anything of the sort...I'm super excited for him. What is everyone's perception of his health. Between back issues in Egypt and then I've watched several games online where he kept getting nicked up...legs, wrists etc. Do we think its just what happens when a guy plays that aggressive and is played that hard by opposing teams or is there concern there with you guys. Again...please don't think I'm trying to disparage Romeo...just question about his health because I think BIG opponents will definitely look to be physical with him.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Here is my Romeo question...please I'm not trying to hate on the kid or anything of the sort...I'm super excited for him. What is everyone's perception of his health. Between back issues in Egypt and then I've watched several games online where he kept getting nicked up...legs, wrists etc. Do we think its just what happens when a guy plays that aggressive and is played that hard by opposing teams or is there concern there with you guys. Again...please don't think I'm trying to disparage Romeo...just question about his health because I think BIG opponents will definitely look to be physical with him.

One thing I can say.  To help allay your concerns.  Ever since making it to Bloomington, Romeo (per the coaches) has been hitting it hard both on the court, and in the weight room. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

The same thought has crossed my mind.  Seemed like you were always hearing about some minor nagging injuries with him.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

These posts aren’t long enough 

I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. I agree.  I agree. I agree. 

With you.

22 hours ago, milehiiu said:

One thing I can say.  To help allay your concerns.  Ever since making it to Bloomington, Romeo (per the coaches) has been hitting it hard both on the court, and in the weight room. 

I would say that would be his number 1 focus coming here. Continue working on his game but he has the moves...he has the touch...defense and strength finishing at the rim I think will be his primary concern. Thank you for the update....appreciated as always! I would hate for him to have a similar season as Gordon did where it affects him all year. Great kid and great player....so much so I've been watching as many games and highlights as I could find online...and noticed a trend that combined with the issues he had in Egypt had me worried.....just get the season here already so I can stop my OCD.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I would say that would be his number 1 focus coming here. Continue working on his game but he has the moves...he has the touch...defense and strength finishing at the rim I think will be his primary concern. Thank you for the update....appreciated as always! I would hate for him to have a similar season as Gordon did where it affects him all year. Great kid and great player....so much so I've been watching as many games and highlights as I could find online...and noticed a trend that combined with the issues he had in Europe had me worried.....just get the season here already so I can stop my OCD.

You are right.  Sure one can always improve one's game.  In this case, Romeo came in early to improve his strength and conditioning as well.

Glad I could update you as to what has been going on with Romeo.  He's been working hard.

One of the handful of sources who was passing along intel into the Romeo recruitment directly from New Albany.... wanted me to pass along this bit of intel:

Romeo is loving it at IU.   He really, really is enjoying his time at IU. 

This comes via a family member who relayed this information to a family friend. And that friend became a friend of mine during the recruitment.  He posts on this board.  However, requested me to share this small tidbit with you all. 

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

One of the handful of sources who was passing along intel into the Romeo recruitment directly from New Albany.... wanted me to pass along this bit of intel:

This comes via a family member who relayed this information to a family friend. And that friend became a friend of mine during the recruitment.  He posts on this board.  However, requested me to share this small tidbit with you all. 

Thanks Mile! Keep it comin!

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:08 AM, milehiiu said:

I don't believe you....who is this unsaid source?! Just kidding!!! lol  Very good to know. Hopefully he can be influencial to our current recruits that they won't regret making the decision to come to IU!!

They must be high on their own supply(of pathetic) again. That or sniffing too much of their own flatulence. I wanted to drop by there once and ask them if they have any grasp on the concept of intangible factors.That never happened for obvious reasons.

Miller's coaching, Romeo's work ethic, and the players he faces in practice should bring fast progress with his individual game.One of Romeo's less heralded attributes that doesn't get mentioned to the point of overkill  by scouting on him is how he understands his value as a decoy with opponents focusing on him. A great player knows when it's his time and when to defer, and although that can be fit into the larger general category of shot selection, that is vague to the point of doing some players a disservice.  It really goes undervalued when a players' desire to win and willingness to do what it takes is so high, that they also recognize when the players around them are capable of contributing.Those Purdue fans are knocking Romeo for something that helped New Albany stay consistently among the top contenders in the state for all four seasons and it translate very well to any level of the sport.What he did in AAU has very little relevance to that aspect of his fit at Indiana and there's different chemistry with different players.  We've all saw numerous times where _____ star player felt pressure to do too much and ultimately cost their team the game when someone else was more than capable of delivering a relief effort. It's one thing when a player is essentially their teams only hope in big moments, but it also happens  at place like Duke and Kentucky where there are no valid excuses, and everyone is a 5 star. Some guys press too hard, and players get a lot of credit for going all out for 40 minutes, but it's actually a pretty dumb coaching strategy in non mop up games against high level opposition.What sets Archie apart is his grasp on what kids are ready for playing time, and since several are Romeo will also have fresh legs around him often enough to coast at a sustainable level even in close games.

It isn't even so much about making other players better, but letting other guys who are capable of stepping up do their job and regrouping to lead a late charge. Romeo may have off nights, but he understands when to let off during the mid-game, and step back up again in crunch time instead of disappearing late. Last year that was clearly missing on the ball late game. I know that value to one's team goes far beyond  the assist column or the shooting percentages. We see what less talented or less polished players than Langford managed to do in terms of making an impact that directly led to a favorable end result in big games and situations by having that higher understanding of where and how their own role fits in what their team sets out to do each game. A players statistical value gets blown out of proportion since every coach--player relationship is really the key to everything else that happens.Miller is all business, but he has the higher respect and credibility of being a former player. Some coaches showcase their future pros, and some sell a team first mentality and let the results do the talking. You can't put a  price tag or a rating on that. A coaches "cred" is a factor with a lot of high level players in today's game. On a separate, but related note: That's part of the reason why Nate McMillan is right for the Pacers right now despite some dissenting opinions.Also why I thought Bird was better on the bench than the front office. I have nothing personal against non former player coaches, but as it pertains to today's player I'm a bit surprised the Pacers went away from that given how well it had worked out for the most part having a former player with IQ coach the team. Non former player media experts are a totally different matter. I have a minimum personal standard of solid former PE class player or better and at least some experience managing more than one ego at a time in order to accomplish a team goal ! 5 has blew it on that at least 5 times LOL  . ;) Different threads different days though.  Fouls and Hoopster's posts got me all self conscious here , but I've paid my dues reading far more than typing for at least a decade or more on all 3 sites. It's one thing to have something to say , but another to invest into what others say..It's not entirely unlike the chemistry on this board and prior Hoosier Nation free boards.Anyone who has been around has saw this board  make most paid content look like a joke, especially during basketball season.I'm not even going to go into opponent boards again. These guys don't get enough credit here. Archie on the other hand has and does, and he's about to put on a clinic on ego management. Track records do matter there.

Archived