Romeo Langford

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

That's my bad. I saw his career numbers and it was like 71% but then I looked into it and he had a rough junior year shooting only 55%. He was over 80% last year so that kind of eases my feelings on that subject. I don't have any expectations honestly for the kid. Teams are definitely going to game plan to take him out of games which should open things up for others. Being such a scorer and drawing so many fouls I would just hope that he has a good year at the line. He should be a fine player!

Just kidding around. They can do whatever they want to Romeo..he's going to get his points and unlike last year we have more than 1 consistent weapon on offense with Morgan, Smith, Hunter, Green/Durham (if reports I'm hearing he's shooting much much better) to help Romeo out.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Blackmon averaged 15.7 ppg as a freshman.  With all the hype, I’m expecting Romeo to do significantly better than that.

EJ averaged 20.9 and had the B1G POTY on his team. I don't see why Romeo couldn't meet that, even if it was the most prolific scoring season for any B1G freshman ever.

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

EJ averaged 20.9 and had the B1G POTY on his team. I don't see why Romeo shouldn't meet or exceed that.

20+ ppg is A LOT for a freshman, and it almost seems unfair to expect that.  But with the way he’s been treated as the holy savior of Indiana basketball... Anything less than 18 ppg will be pretty underwhelming.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Blackmon averaged 15.7 ppg as a freshman.  With all the hype, I’m expecting Romeo to do significantly better than that.

Romeo will have a significantly better pro career than Blackmon.  But, I'm not sure you should base his ultimate worth on what he scores as a freshman.  

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I think Romeo will average 16.3 pts and Morgan 15.4pts a game

I don't want to expect too much from the freshman. This should be much more balanced then some in the past. I think he could score over 20 a game...but would it come efficiently and in the flow of the offense? I'm sure he will have some break out games but I agree 15-16 pts a game is my expectations. Juwan is still the go to player and should see the priority of the offense ran through him when he is on the court. I really expect Hunter and Smith to really shoulder some of the scoring so that we have might have 4 guys avg double figures. Balance will be a nice blessing after watching the past couple teams struggle to score.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Our roster is getting stacked with talent. With that said. Romeo didn't come here to average 15/16. I'll put him at 20+ and won't think twice about it. He's actually that good.

I hope he came here to win and not worry about how much he scored.  Anthony Davis scored around 11-12 points a game and was still the top pick in the draft.  He also was 4th on the teams in shots so hopefully Romeo comes in with the attitude to just worry about winning.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Romeo will have a significantly better pro career than Blackmon.  But, I'm not sure you should base his ultimate worth on what he scores as a freshman.  

Don’t disagree on their pro prospects, but he will likely only provide value to IU on the court during his freshman year, which is all I really care about.  On the other hand, I’m not sure he’s a one-and-done if he only averages 16 ppg in the Big Ten as a freshman.  Either way, he’s been billed as the best scorer in his class and one of the best scorers in Indiana high school history.  I think 18 ppg should be the minimum expectation.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Don’t disagree on their pro prospects, but he will likely only provide value to IU on the court during his freshman year, which is all I really care about.  On the other hand, I’m not sure he’s a one-and-done if he only averages 16 ppg in the Big Ten as a freshman.  Either way, he’s been billed as the best scorer in his class and one of the best scorers in Indiana high school history.  I think 18 ppg should be the minimum expectation.

Why does it matter if he scores 16, 18 or 20ppg, as long as IU is winning? We know Morgan is going to score, what if Green and Smith ‘blow up’ too so Langford scores an efficient 15 or 16, instead of 20, on a really balanced team that wins a lot of games,  does it really matter? 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Why does it matter if he scores 16, 18 or 20ppg, as long as IU is winning? We know Morgan is going to score, what if Green and Smith ‘blow up’ too so Langford scores an efficient 15 or 16, instead of 20, on a really balanced team that wins a lot of games,  does it really matter? 

Honestly if he's not averaging 20 PPG it's either because he's hurt or because teams are double and triple teaming him like in HS.  The latter will obviously open up lots of looks for the other guys.  He's that good.

Few of Cals recruits avg 20pts a game and they go pro on their talent and upside alone. He just needs to show he is capable of excelling at this level and will continue to get better to go in the lottery. He has the ability the shot the upside..he doesn’t need to score 20. If that happens in the context of us winning great...but if we have a balanced offense it won’t matter to scouts. There will be games he scores 25 and there will be games he scores 10. Winning basketball translates to any level.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Wins are all that matters, so it really doesn’t make much difference to me how we get them.  If that’s the case, then no one will be complaining.  But I’m much more hopeful that Romeo can score 18+ ppg than I am that Smith/Green “blow up.”  I’m not sure we’re as “deep” as people think (see preseason expectations for last season).  Not a ton of experience on the roster.  We’re going to need Romeo to be as good as advertised to be conference championship contenders.

If Romeo’s scoring 18ppg, we are winning a lot of basketball games, I’d wager.

I don’t think we necessarily need an Eric Gordon-level individual offensive impact, especially with the makeup of the team Romeo is a part of. There are going to be other guys who are capable and needing to be a consistent part of the offense.

Of course, if he can score 20+ and the team can score ~80ppg, I mean, I wouldn’t be mad at that. 

14 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Wins are all that matters, so it really doesn’t make much difference to me how we get them.  If that’s the case, then no one will be complaining.  But I’m much more hopeful that Romeo can score 18+ ppg than I am that Smith/Green “blow up.”  I’m not sure we’re as “deep” as people think (see preseason expectations for last season).  Not a ton of experience on the roster.  We’re going to need Romeo to be as good as advertised to be conference championship contenders.

So we’re on the same page, by “blow up” in regards to Green and Smith I meant relative to who they are, so not as in blow-up to a Romeo/Morgan level. Like, what if Green solidifies as a legit lead guard and averages something like 12-13ppg and Smith is a consistent option to where he averages 10+, it’s not out of the realm for Langford to average an efficient 16 with Morgan in the 16-18 range as well. That wouldn’t be a disappointment in terms of Romeo and wouldn’t mean he isn’t “as good as advertised”, if the team is winning. 

On the depth point, I agree with you. Depth is always overhyped going into a season. We’re not going to be as deep as people predict. For depth to be a real tangible asset for this team would mean we’re counting on freshmen like Anderson and Forrester and a sophomore Moore to be real contributors. Not likely. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

So we’re on the same page, by “blow up” in regards to Green and Smith I meant relative to who they are, so not as in blow-up to a Romeo/Morgan level. Like, what if Green solidifies as a legit lead guard and averages something like 12-13ppg and Smith is a consistent option to where he averages 10+, it’s not out of the realm for Langford to average an efficient 16 with Morgan in the 16-18 range as well. That wouldn’t be a disappointment in terms of Romeo and wouldn’t mean he isn’t “as good as advertised”, if the team is winning. 

On the depth point, I agree with you. Depth is always overhyped going into a season. We’re not going to be as deep as people predict. For depth to be a real tangible asset for this team would mean we’re counting on freshmen like Anderson and Forrester and a sophomore Moore to be real contributors. Not likely. 

That scenario is definitely possible.  I think it’s absolute best case if we’re getting 12-13 and 10+ out of Green and Smith.  The way I see it, RoJo averaged 14 ppg last season, and the offense looked terrible.  Putting Romeo in that exact role, I think we’ll need more than a 2 ppg improvement on that.  I also expect that he’s capable of doing that.  If Green and Smith both make jumps, that’s great.  But I think the best strategy for winning games next season will involve Romeo getting a lot of shots.

As for the depth issue, we have five freshmen, one redshirt freshman, and three sophomores on the team.  It’s just hard to count on so many underclassmen, but that remains to be seen.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

That scenario is definitely possible.  I think it’s absolute best case if we’re getting 12-13 and 10+ out of Green and Smith.  The way I see it, RoJo averaged 14 ppg last season, and the offense looked terrible.  Putting Romeo in that exact role, I think we’ll need more than a 2 ppg improvement on that.  I also expect that he’s capable of doing that.  If Green and Smith both make jumps, that’s great.  But I think the best strategy for winning games next season will involve Romeo getting a lot of shots.

As for the depth issue, we have five freshmen, one redshirt freshman, and three sophomores on the team.  It’s just hard to count on so many underclassmen, but that remains to be seen.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Romeo won’t average 18-20ppg, he probably will, just saying if it’s 16ppg that doesn’t mean he necessarily underachieved or didn’t deliver, or whatever. I also don’t think you can play the “plug ‘n play” game as far as numbers from last year. Green will be better, Smith will be better, Fitzner will provide a skill set that last years team didn’t remotely have, etc. 

Its a different, more offensively talented team, albeit maybe a little younger in some key spots. 

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Romeo won’t average 18-20ppg, he probably will, just saying if it’s 16ppg that doesn’t mean he necessarily underachieved or didn’t deliver, or whatever. I also don’t think you can play the “plug ‘n play” game as far as numbers from last year. Green will be better, Smith will be better, Fitzner will provide a skill set that last years team didn’t remotely have, etc. 

Its a different, more offensively talented team, albeit maybe a little younger in some key spots. 

I see things similarly.

On the one hand, he could have a year similar to EJ, who was playing with DJ, much like Romeo should have good space given what Morgan will bring. Those 2 should absolutely kill it this season.

On the other hand, we should have better scoring this year with Smith primed for a big jump to go with Morgan, and yes Fitzner should bring consistent outside shooting — and he also should really thrive with the space he’ll get playing with Morgan, Romeo, Smith et al.

So Romeo may well average 18-20, but he and IU could also have a really good year, averaging 16-17, with scoring spread around more. Who cares which happens, so long as he is efficient and it helps the team run deep?

11 hours ago, Tru123dt said:

Romeo was listed at 6’5” 195 lbs last year, and now he is listed at 6’6 215 lbs.  He is going to be a beast this year!  November cannot get here fast enough!

You never know with measurements but saw a recent picture of him and he just looked bigger to me. He has the makings of a genuine elite NBA 2-guard prospect, and 6-6 and 215 with his mobility and shooting is sounding nice 

I don’t know about his scoring average.  We will see how they mesh.  But, scoring average hasnever been the be-all and end-all for me.  There are always guys who put up big numbers on crappy teams.  The kid on Minnesota puts up numbers and I don’t think he’s very legit.  We have more balance on the roster so he may not get 18 ppg.  

But, regardless, we have an athletic and talented potential five if you put Morgan, Smith, Hunter, Langford, and Green out together.  Green is a critical guy.  That spot has been a weakness.  But, in his third year, does he make the jump we need?  I think most of us think he’s capable.  He just needs to be smart and concentrate every single possession.  

Archived