Romeo Langford

10 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I'm sitting here playing a bitcoin tournament with nothing to do but I'm going to show some restraint here and not take the bait. We could have an interesting debate on that one but this isn't the really the thread for that.

Really was not a bait question, in terms of me.  That is how I feel.  Been following IUBB since the 1950's.  And for me, the program has always been bigger than the coach.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Really was not a bait question, in terms of me.  That is how I feel.  Been following IUBB since the 1950's.  And for me, the program has always been bigger than the coach.

Lucky man. Wish I could have seen those 70's teams. Which team was your favorite?

The program is bigger than the coach and if the coach isn't getting blue blood results then he doesn't deserve to stay. They pulled the trigger correctly on Knight, but kept Davis and Crean for too long. The program/school/fans should have demanded better results and gotten rid of the Davis/Crean earlier than they did. Davis should have been fired in 04/05 and probably didn't deserve to be fired after the 05/06 season ironically enough. Crean should have been gone after 14/15 but there wasn't any real pressure on him from the fan base.

If all worked out in the end though. A+ hire. Just my personal opinion but I think we've been too complacent with being decent. 

20 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Lucky man. Wish I could have seen those 70's teams. Which team was your favorite?

The program is bigger than the coach and if the coach isn't getting blue blood results then he doesn't deserve to stay. They pulled the trigger correctly on Knight, but kept Davis and Crean for too long. The program/school/fans should have demanded better results and gotten rid of the Davis/Crean earlier than they did. Davis should have been fired in 04/05 and probably didn't deserve to be fired after the 05/06 season ironically enough. Crean should have been gone after 14/15 but there wasn't any real pressure on him from the fan base.

If all worked out in the end though. A+ hire. Just my personal opinion but I think we've been too complacent with being decent. 

Davis should've been let go after the Kent St debacle.  I've said that many times.  That was maybe the biggest blunder our administration ever made. 

17 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

There was massive pressure from the fanbase after 2014-2015. He could have been gone at that point (I was in favor of firing him), but there was certainly a strong argument to keep him. And given that one of the two additional season he coached after that was a Big 10 title, it's hard to say it was a major negative for the program that they kept him.

33 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I was 7 years old in "53.  That was my first favorite team. Also saw Jimmy Rayl set the all time game record of 56 points... not once but twice.  As far as favorite team.... it's a toss up between '75 and '76. 

29 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was imitating the reaction of the average Kansas fan.  You guys are a little slow on the draw tonight.  I expect subtetly to fly right by someone like Blue, but I must say i, m disappointed in the two of you.

To be fair, why would they know who a recruit is when they have KU Boobs. 

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

That is what college basketball is all about is the love of the name on the front of the jersey and not the back.

38 minutes ago, Indykev said:

For the fan but not the kids playing the game anymore. Its about the coach and style of play.

At any level...if the coach is actually the coach, and not a puppet...it is about the style of play. That's the nature of sports. And there's nothing wrong with that.

23 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I was 7 years old in "53.  That was my first favorite team. Also saw Jimmy Rayl set the all time game record of 56 points... not once but twice.  As far as favorite team.... it's a toss up between '75 and '76. 

Not quite as old as you, and I never watched an IU game until I went down there in '70, but while '75 and '76 teams might have been better (and certainly were most of the season), my favorite was the '81 team, because of the way it destroyed everyone in the tournament and the extreme improvement it made through the season, particularly after the light went on in Landon Turner's brain maybe 2/3 of the way through the season.

2 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

Not quite as old as you, and I never watched an IU game until I went down there in '70, but while '75 and '76 teams might have been better (and certainly were most of the season), my favorite was the '81 team, because of the way it destroyed everyone in the tournament and the extreme improvement it make through the season, particularly after the light went on in Landon Turner's brain maybe 2/3 of the way through the season.

I've read where RMK really got on his arse many times until it finally sank in. Glad it did.

Knight excoriated Landon Turner.  Only to come back years after the accident, and say he was his favorite player.  Aside from Patrick Knight, who he also said was his favorite player, who he also excoriated ,when Pat was playing. 

Later on,as with Landon, Pat and Bobby became best of friends.

Bobby-and-Pat-Knight.jpg

So for your older guys that got to experience Knight when he was a master I need your perspective on this. I was 8 during the 92 team and fell in love watching the games with my dad. My dad like most people was a huge Knight fan so in my mind he's the greatest ever. The 93-94 team had a good vibe around it but after that it was predictable and frustrating. From ages 11-16 and in Knights final 6 years it was the same exact story every single year. 20 wins, third place, and then we'd get punked by some odd school like Pepperdine in the first or second round. 

So my question for you guys is what the hell happened? Was it just simply age and the game passing him by? Quit being able to recruit well enough? Got lazy? 4 out 6 years we lost in the first round and the other two in the second. March Madness sucked! 

8 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

So for your older guys that got to experience Knight when he was a master I need your perspective on this. I was 8 during the 92 team and fell in love watching the games with my dad. My dad like most people was a huge Knight fan so in my mind he's the greatest ever. The 93-94 team had a good vibe around it but after that it was predictable and frustrating. From ages 11-16 and in Knights final 6 years it was the same exact story every single year. 20 wins, third place, and then we'd get punked by some odd school like Pepperdine in the first or second round. 

So my question for you guys is what the hell happened? Was it just simply age and the game passing him by? Quit being able to recruit well enough? Got lazy? 4 out 6 years we lost in the first round and the other two in the second. March Madness sucked! 

He stopped caring.  Dakich talked on his show about having Raef Lafenrtz and Jaque Vaughn on campus but Knight wouldn't come up to Btown because it would interrupt his fishing trip.  He was also an asshole.

Archived