Romeo Langford

6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I posted about the "absolute " issue a couple of weeks ago.

It really isn't that hard to add "imo" to any post that is just that, an opinion.

No one on here, to my knowledge, is a professional journalist thus anyone on here who is conveying that they have a "scoop " is doing so for the sake of having their ego stroked, imo. There are certainly people who post here who are well connected and whose track record has allowed them a degree of latitude as to the veracity of their content. What I have read from the majority of their posts is a surety in what they say but also a bit of humility in that they acknowledge that the source of their information is not "absolute ".

I wish that all posters here would set their egos aside for the greater good of the board 

There is literally no reason to have add imo. We're all adults and we should be able to distinguish when something is an opinion. 98% of what is posted is an opinion. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I think this seals it...he put us furthest left of the three. Since everyone reads left to right, this can only mean we are first on his mind and thus IU will be his pick. 

:coffee:

I got excited until I noticed it was just in alphabetical order.¬¬

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is literally no reason to have add imo. We're all adults and we should be able to distinguish when something is an opinion. 98% of what is posted is an opinion. 

Gonna disagree with that.  When I was new to these forums, when I read stuff stated as fact, I took it as such.  Only after I was here awhile did I come to the conclusion that most of the posters who spoke in absolutes like they actually knew something, really didn't know any more than the rest of us.  Most here don't state opinions as fact unless it's obvious, like sarcasm. For the rest, I've developed a healthy level of skepticism over the years.  Too bad this forum doesn't come with a built-in BS meter.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hence, my comment about checking egos.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He's not planning on being a one and done.  

Assuming this is true, which is a huge assumption, I don't see how Vandy is the destination. Why go off scholarship but continue your education at Vandy? Even with NBA money, that's not a smart investment. He could play at IU, go the Zeller route and get a KSOB degree for next to nothing and keep a ton of doors open if his bbal career, for whatever reason, doesn't pan out. If this kid is as smart as I think he is, he's probably thinking stuff like this through. On the flipside, I was 18 once too, so....

7 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Assuming this is true, which is a huge assumption, I don't see how Vandy is the destination. Why go off scholarship but continue your education at Vandy? Even with NBA money, that's not a smart investment. He could play at IU, go the Zeller route and get a KSOB degree for next to nothing and keep a ton of doors open if his bbal career, for whatever reason, doesn't pan out. If this kid is as smart as I think he is, he's probably thinking stuff like this through. On the flipside, I was 18 once too, so....

I really don't think Romeo is thinking about KSOB.  The school I have a degree from.  Rather, his interests run engineering, and IU's burgeoning engineering program. Engineering... one of the reason's Romeo's interests went Vandy's way.

School of Engineering | Vanderbilt University

And as I posted earlier.  Romeo is an honors student.  He is smart. 

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I really don't think Romeo is thinking about KSOB.  The school I have a degree from.  Rather, his interests run engineering, and IU's burgeoning engineering program. Engineering... one of the reason's Romeo's interests went Vandy's way.

So Romeo is planning to become an engineer after he earns 9 figures in the NBA?  I don't believe it at all.  He'll be laying on a beach somewhere when his basketball career is over.

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You know who has a great engineering program...

Just now, dbmhoosier said:

So Romeo is planning to become an engineer after he earns 9 figures in the NBA?  I don't believe it at all.  He'll be laying on a beach somewhere when his basketball career is over.

To have an interest in engineering, and pursue classes in engineering is simply doing what one appeals to them. Has nothing to do with what they plan on doing with the rest of their life .   I just telling you where his interests lie.  He likes engineering.  Cody Zeller liked.... business.  Guys gonna pursue what they like.  Does not mean that is what they plan to do with the rest of their life.  Once again.... Romeo likes engineering. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Agreed, the kid is super smart. But it still doesn't add up. If he was really wanting to pursue a top-flight engineering degree knowing that he also had an opportunity to play in the NBA and make millions of dollars, he would have been a Purdue (ugh) lock the instant they offered him. I'm not saying that Vandy's engineering program is anything to scoff at, but if you want to be an engineer and live in Indiana, the choice seems obvious. I'm not convinced that getting an engineering degree is HIS priority. It may be his parents' priority, but I think he has other plans lined up and is trying to balance those two competing ideals. Ergo, IU is the only choice to make everyone happy. :D

1 minute ago, CapnRon said:

I'm sorry, I really can't buy Romeo staying 2 years.

I'd be shocked if Romeo stayed two years.  And perhaps the oft mentioned trip to IU due to academics is to determine if he can take any engineering courses his freshman year.  I seem to recall that Cody Zeller's schedule was adjusted for him to take business classes that normally were not offered to freshman at the time.

3 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Agreed, the kid is super smart. But it still doesn't add up. If he was really wanting to pursue a top-flight engineering degree knowing that he also had an opportunity to play in the NBA and make millions of dollars, he would have been a Purdue (ugh) lock the instant they offered him. I'm not saying that Vandy's engineering program is anything to scoff at, but if you want to be an engineer and live in Indiana, the choice seems obvious. I'm not convinced that getting an engineering degree is HIS priority. It may be his parents' priority, but I think he has other plans lined up and is trying to balance those two competing ideals. Ergo, IU is the only choice to make everyone happy. :D

Once again... I am not saying Romeo intends to become an engineer. It's just that is where his interests lie.

It's kind of like my last semester at IU.  All I needed was one more business class to graduate.  So... I chose other classes in addition to one business class.  In fact... I got called into my Art Professor's class who asked me why I wanted to take his class.... and I told him that was an interest of mine. So ... he allowed me to stay.  And to this day... I am thankful for that class. 

For those who get upset when an “insider” gets something incorrect, you may want to get a different hobby.  These people are just passing along information that they’re hearing at that time.  Things change very quickly and sometimes even people in the situation have no clue what may happen (see Jared Jeffries).  There are other posters on here that make the same absolute remarks, and just because they’re not considered “insiders” don’t take near as much heat as the others when they’re wrong.  Yet, they want all of the praise when they guess correctly.  That’s extremely hypocritical.  All of the information brought to the board should be taken with a grain of salt.  I’m an IU fan and like to believe all of the good rumors that come to the board, but I’m realistic too and don’t expect everything that’s said to come true.  At the end of the day, it’s just people getting together talking about a basketball program that they love for one reason or another.  There are other things in life more important to get upset about other than a message board.

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

For those who get upset when an “insider” gets something incorrect, you may want to get a different hobby.  These people are just passing along information that they’re hearing at that time.  Things change very quickly and sometimes even people in the situation have no clue what may happen (see Jared Jeffries).  There are other posters on here that make the same absolute remarks, and just because they’re not considered “insiders” don’t take near as much heat as the others when they’re wrong.  Yet, they want all of the praise when they guess correctly.  That’s extremely hypocritical.  All of the information brought to the board should be taken with a grain of salt.  I’m an IU fan and like to believe all of the good rumors that come to the board, but I’m realistic too and don’t expect everything that’s said to come true.  At the end of the day, it’s just people getting together talking about a basketball program that they love for one reason or another.  There are other things in life more important to get upset about other than a message board.

A milehi salute to you, for this post.

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah...I don't see that either. No question he's interested in engineering, but as I said earlier, get your degree, but do it in something that's actually useful when you've retired from the NBA.  He could actually use accounting/finance to manage his fortune after he retires.

IRRC, Haas is also an engineering student at Smellermaker U.  It's a whole lot more likely he'll actually use an engineering degree than Romeo.

2 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ll take the grief for saying “it’s over” because that’s what I was told by a reliable source whos been right more than wrong.  Not different than DBM or DMB saying it’s always been Vandy and always will be.  He then has since backtracked saying we have a shot.  Something happened after HH and it wasn’t just Garland but most importantly we are back in the mix and in WAY better shape than most of us even think.  When I was told what I shared with Mile I was frankly shocked in a good way.  Is the news correct?  We have to wait and see...

Will we ever get to hear what happened at HH?

Archived