Romeo Langford

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I'd say they are 4th best, at best.  Tennessee brings literally everyone back, UK will be really good, and Auburn will be top 12-15, also.. there still a good possibility UF is better. 

In all honesty SEC is a lot better of a conference then us (currently). This past season and next season. 

Very true, forgot about UT.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Yeah it's only you

Come on (Shapopojoe) he is only a kid! He and his parents want to make the best decision for his education and his career. There is nothing wrong with that and IU will survive either way but let's not get down on Romeo just because of the process he has chosen to make his decision. IU will become great again with or without him. Archie's involvement is a process. The more success he/IU has, the stronger the recruiting will become. Teams will get better year after year and Indiana kids and others across the country will begin (as time goes on) to place an offer from IU in the same category as a Kentucky or a Duke. Archie is the right guy. He is building the right foundation. We are on the right track!

2 hours ago, Shapopojoe said:

Is it just me or is anyone else just starting to not care about this kid any more? He is obviously a great player, seems to be a great kid but seriously....I don't think I can waste another second on fawning over this kid or worrying about him coming to IU. We have a great recruiting class WITHOUT him... Miller, I believe, has moved on and started recruiting other kids for his spot...I'm done with checking this thread 20 times a day for the same info...Lets focus on class of 2019

. My team is on the floor.......and you kids get off my lawn

Couple things:

1.) You can get tired of checking the thread and being in a state of flux without souring on the kid and wanting what's clearly best for the program. Langford has said all along he wouldn't pull the trigger early and that it would likely be late in the process. It's not like he's waffling, dropping hints only to roll them back a few days later. As a matter of fact, it hasn't really been a frustrating yo-yo process when compared to a great number of other recruiting sagas. 

and...

2.) What indications have you seen or been given that lead you to believe Archie is now recruiting past Romeo? Just curious if you seen or heard something others have missed. 

31 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If Auburn doesn't have anyone go pro they may be top 5. They had some key injuries this year and two of their best players suspended for the season. 

Heron from Auburn is leaving and hiring an agent and he is not even in the top 100 list of prospects.

3 hours ago, hoosierBGH said:

Morgan doesn't need to dominate the ball to get his points so I see him being a nearly perfect compliment to Romeo. They would both make each other better but I would expect Romeo to end up scoring more simply because he will have the ball in his hands a lot more. 

And hopefully there won't be as many missed shots (and free throws) for Morgan to clean up. haha. 

I guess this is what concerns me again about our team if we don't get Romeo. We missed SO many open shots last year. If Romeo doesn't come, who's going to make them? Hopefully Anderson or Phinesse can step up, or a grad transfer, because I don't see anybody from our returning roster making a huge impact in that area. That said, LOOK HOW MANY OPEN SHOTS WE GOT LAST YEAR ROMEO! This honestly has to be a big factor in his decision. 

Getting back to Romeo......

The SEC is absolutely stacked for next year.  UT, Auburn, UK, MSU, FLA, UGA, A&M, Mizzou, Bama, Arkansas, LSU, USC.........will all field good to above average squads.  Vandy, next year, even with Romeo will be in a world of hurt.  But if the schedule is right they could sweep Ole Miss!

1 hour ago, Old Man IU Fan said:

Archie's involvement is a process. 

This is the key. If Romeo had already made his decision, then it wouldn't be IU. Archie had to do everything from ground zero as playing for Crean at IU had already been eliminated, so I appreciate that Romeo is taking his time and that he is giving Archie a legitimate chance to state his case for IU. I am hopeful that the patience pays off in the end and we IU fans get what we want - Romeo in Candy Stripes.

Just think, in years past, any 'recruitment' that would take this long we would all be thinking (or screaming) 'They're holding out for the highest bidder' , and we wouldn't want any part of it. Not to mention Vandy involved seemingly from left field.

Thankfully, based on what we hear about the family, and the FBI, we're sure that's not the case here.

Although Dork-itch may still do a show about it. ¬¬

Oh, and i like this thread.

8 minutes ago, Tru123dt said:

If anyones says that they know, they really are saying that they are clueless.  

Agree 100%. Until he commits nothing is a done deal/always has been/etc. He may have been leaning different directions at different times, which could have got out to sources, who could then relay the information. This is where the path diverges. The source could relay the information correctly that he's leaning towards this school (like most of our posters do) or they could relay the information that he's going to this school (which is incorrect until he commits b/c he could always change his mind). 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

And hopefully there won't be as many missed shots (and free throws) for Morgan to clean up. haha. 

I guess this is what concerns me again about our team if we don't get Romeo. We missed SO many open shots last year. If Romeo doesn't come, who's going to make them? Hopefully Anderson or Phinesse can step up, or a grad transfer, because I don't see anybody from our returning roster making a huge impact in that area. That said, LOOK HOW MANY OPEN SHOTS WE GOT LAST YEAR ROMEO! This honestly has to be a big factor in his decision. 

I think some of our interest in transfers and grad transfers is the coaching staff putting a plan B into motion...just in case.

The inability to successfully do this, more than anything else IMO, is what eventually got Crean fired.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I think some of our interest in transfers and grad transfers is the coaching staff putting a plan B into motion...just in case.

The inability to successfully do this, more than anything else IMO, is what eventually got Crean fired.

Crean got fired for his inability to sustain success.  Lots of variable involved in that.

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

This is the key. If Romeo had already made his decision, then it wouldn't be IU. Archie had to do everything from ground zero as playing for Crean at IU had already been eliminated, so I appreciate that Romeo is taking his time and that he is giving Archie a legitimate chance to state his case for IU. I am hopeful that the patience pays off in the end and we IU fans get what we want - Romeo in Candy Stripes.

I'm completely biased of course, but I honestly think even if you remove all the "hometown legend" stuff that IU is clearly the best fit for Langford on the court. Langford has stated that he wants to be prepared for the NBA and he wants to play with talent, though was quick to clarify that talent doesn't necessarily mean from his own class. 

Let's look at the situations.

Kansas on the surface seems like a great fit. They win every year, they always have talent, etc., etc. But, they do have two other burger boys and both Lawson brothers (transfers from Memphis) new to the team. I'm sure Self will get them to play team ball, but one thing that made Kansas so good this year was they were playing veteran guys who had been together for several years. With all this new talent there will be guys looking to "get theirs" and put on a show for the NBA. Kansas will be good, no doubt, but IMO it will be one of their teams that falters in March. 

Now Vandy, you have a great class if he commits, for sure. But, there isn't much else there. It will be a freshmen dominated team and there has the potential for a lot of growing pains. We've seen both Cal and K struggle with this, and I don't think Vandy/Drew are really set up to deal with those challenges. There's just not much around that class. 

Now with IU, again being biased, I think Langford is the perfect fit. We have a veteran all-conference big coming back, but Morgan isn't a high volume guy. He doesn't hunt shots constantly. He gets a lot of his from junk yard dog/system stuff, and his offense will compliment Langford nicely. On the wing you have McRoberts. He will take the defensive pressure off Langford. McRoberts will defend the other teams best perimeter player, so Langford doesn't have to worry about, and then offensively McRoberts doesn't need the ball at all. Really offensivley, the one thing IU is missing is the exact skill set Langford brings. IU certainly has question marks, but IMO the opening at Langford's spot is there for the taking, and it's a seamless fit. IU has veterans coming back to handle leadership, and he can just come in and play his game with tons of support. 

Again, I'm biased, I get it. It would also be easy to say IU is in flux and hasn't won and the veterans coming back aren't talented enough. But again, IMO, the fit just seems perfect. 

11 minutes ago, rico said:

Crean got fired for his inability to sustain success.  Lots of variable involved in that.

I know, but IMO his roster fluctuations and need to reach for players because of no real viable plan B is a major factor in him that inability to sustain success.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

in my opinion, Crean's biggest failure was his inability to provide teams with effective defenses. Defenses win championships. Villanova beat Kansas with a three point marathon but they beat Michigan with tough defense. Archie's defensive mentality is the foundation for great teams. And, this is the reason Romeo should go to IU. To become a truly great NBA player, he can sharpen his skills and increase his value by learning defensive skills at IU. IU will provide him with this education more than Kansas or Vandy!

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I know, but IMO his roster fluctuations and need to reach for players because of no real viable plan B is a major factor in him that inability to sustain success.

As I said, lots of variables.  I think we agree.....saying the same thing in different ways.

1 minute ago, Old Man IU Fan said:

in my opinion, Crean's biggest failure was his inability to provide teams with effective defenses. Defenses win championships. Villanova beat Kansas with a three point marathon but they beat Michigan with tough defense. Archie's defensive mentality is the foundation for great teams. And, this is the reason Romeo should go to IU. To become a truly great NBA player, he can sharpen his skills and increase his value by learning defensive skills at IU. IU will provide him with this education more than Kansas or Vandy!

Can't disagree......just another variable.

1 minute ago, Old Man IU Fan said:

I agree with Archie on this front.  Defense can always keep you in games.  Everything in the universe could be against you, but if you defend, you can be in every game.  TV Ted or some other referee may be out to get you; you could have an injury; you could have everyone not shooting well at once.  But if you play hard on defense, you can hang in there and win.  I'd add disciplined ball to defense too.  If you take care of the ball and defend, you can be a tough out. 

Now you add three point shooting and good team quickness and length, then watch out.  You will go far.

2 minutes ago, Old Man IU Fan said:

Defense AND turnovers. Neither were fixed and/or improved. The fact that his teams were bad in both areas was his down fall: math says if you're bad on defense you NEED to be better on offense, but you can't be better if you're giving the ball away on so many possessions. Roster turnover created more instability within his system of play, thus creating more turnovers. It's just not a formula for continued success and all Crean's deficiencies compounded on top of each other. 

In all of his seasons except one I always had the feeling like we were spotting the opposing team 10 points because of all the silly mistakes we'd ultimately make. 

Archived