Romeo Langford

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

We didn't have a JaSean Tate to pair with Morgan. The fifth-year senior guard on OSU (Williams) was decidedly better than our fifth-year senior guard. 

Guess it really comes down to whether you think Rob Johnson sucked or not.  And Williams really didn’t have much more of an impact than Newkirk.  But let’s not derail the thread.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Guess it really comes down to whether you think Rob Johnson sucked or not.  And Williams really didn’t have much more of an impact than Newkirk.  But let’s not derail the thread.

I don't think Rob Johnson sucked, but I don't think he was as good as Tate. Williams was a net positive on the team and Newkirk was a net negative, I don't understand how that's a debatable point from someone who watched Josh Newkirk play. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree it’s encouraging, but would disagree it’s incredible or remarkable.  IU has (or at least should have) a built in advantage with in-state recruits.  Any coach worth his salt should be able to get recruits like Anderson and Phinisee at IU.  I think it says more about Crean that he wasn’t able to land those type of guys toward the end than it does about Archie that he has been able to so far.

And it’s just my opinion, but I just don’t think coaches should get credit until the recruit is signed.  Crean didn’t get credit for the multiple high-level recruits who put IU in their final three and then went elsewhere, nor should he have.  Success in recruiting is about actually getting the kids on campus.  

Your kind of dismissing the apparent damage that Crean did with local high school and AAU coaches. Archie has to repair those relationships and apparently he's done a phenomenal job at that. When was the last time IU got players from the regions of the state that Phinisee and Anderson are from? I'm not the best with instate geography as it's been over 20+ years since I lived in Indiana, but from what I understand it's been decades. Archie did it in 4 months. To me, that's pretty fantastic.  

But, I also completely understand your overall point, because this is a different conversation if IU misses on Langford, TJD and Brooks. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Your kind of dismissing the apparent damage that Crean did with local high school and AAU coaches. Archie has to repair those relationships and apparently he's done a phenomenal job at that. When was the last time IU got players from the regions of the state that Phinisee and Anderson are from? I'm not the best with instate geography as it's been over 20+ years since I lived in Indiana, but from what I understand it's been decades. Archie did it in 4 months. To me, that's pretty fantastic.  

But, I also completely understand your overall point, because this is a different conversation if IU misses on Langford, TJD and Brooks. 

Fair point about rebuilding connections with in-state high school and AAU coaches.  But, I would be willing to bet that almost anyone we hired would have been able to do that fairly quickly.

Regardless, I don’t think anyone disagrees that Archie has done a solid job so far. Nothing to complain about on the recruiting front up to this point, and a lot of reasons for optimism.  I just think it remains to be seen whether his first class ends up as just solid one, or a spectacular one.

I think Archie is doing an okay job recruiting but I'm certainly not blown away.  Crean inherited a much, much worse situation and yet still landed a class right on the level of Archies first class with Creek, Watford, Hulls, and Elston.  Crean was also a weirdo. 

Sampson inherited about the same situation Archie did and he inked 2 top 15 recruits in Gordon and Ebanks before year 2 started.  I expect the same from Archie.

20 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Fair point about rebuilding connections with in-state high school and AAU coaches.  But, I would be willing to bet that almost anyone we hired would have been able to do that fairly quickly.

I think you are correct about this. I think the in-state / AAU coaches would have given any new IU Coach an opportunity to mend the fences. I believe Crean had to do that when he first got here after Davis / Sampson had turned them off to IU. Where I have confidence in Archie that Crean was not able to do, is I believe Archie will be able to sustain those relationships with the in-state / AAU coaches. I believe Crean's approach to how he interacted with the coaches and his shot gun approach to recruiting is what eventually turned them off to him. I don't see that happening with Archie.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think Archie is doing an okay job recruiting but I'm certainly not blown away.  Crean inherited a much, much worse situation and yet still landed a class right on the level of Archies first class with Creek, Watford, Hulls, and Elston.  Crean was also a weirdo. 

Sampson inherited about the same situation Archie did and he inked 2 top 15 recruits in Gordon and Ebanks before year 2 started.  I expect the same from Archie.

"Blown away" is a bit harsh. Creans first class was Dumas, verdell, etc. Granted, he took over in April and had a short window to recruit but that class didn' blow me away.

Archie has managed to get one of the better pg prospects in Lafayette, a kid out of South bend where we haven't gotten a recruit in 20 to 30 years, Jerome out of Ohio where it was thought osu was a safe bet, an under the radar top 150 kid out of PA that will hustle his ass off and do all the little things for you, and convinced race to come a year early to red shirt and be ready to play college ball. All of these kids are top 150 players. 

No silly offers to kids that don' deserve one. CAM will recruit kids that will get more No's than Yes's (grammar police don' kill me there).  For the time he was in the job, I think it's fantastic he got the commitments he did.

We weren't on Romeo's short or long list when Archie took over. He's shown a thoughtful plan on who to go after for the 19 class and been consistent with his contact with them. This first class may not have blown you away but I'm willing to bet as we go forward, the talent level will continue to rise 

16 minutes ago, iualum01 said:

"Blown away" is a bit harsh. Creans first class was Dumas, verdell, etc. Granted, he took over in April and had a short window to recruit but that class didn' blow me away.

Archie has managed to get one of the better pg prospects in Lafayette, a kid out of South bend where we haven't gotten a recruit in 20 to 30 years, Jerome out of Ohio where it was thought osu was a safe bet, an under the radar top 150 kid out of PA that will hustle his ass off and do all the little things for you, and convinced race to come a year early to red shirt and be ready to play college ball. All of these kids are top 150 players. 

No silly offers to kids that don' deserve one. CAM will recruit kids that will get more No's than Yes's (grammar police don' kill me there).  For the time he was in the job, I think it's fantastic he got the commitments he did.

We weren't on Romeo's short or long list when Archie took over. He's shown a thoughtful plan on who to go after for the 19 class and been consistent with his contact with them. This first class may not have blown you away but I'm willing to bet as we go forward, the talent level will continue to rise 

The coaches at Northern Iowa, Rutgers, TCU, Princeton, and Dayton all landed a player in 2018 that is better than Phinesee, Anderson, Forrester, or Thompson.   Wade at LSU was hired right when Archie was and he multiple 5 stars coming in.  At freakin LSU.

If I had to guess I don't think any of us are really that far away from each other in grading Archie's recruiting performance thus far...I'd give it a 7/10

Positives: Solid recruiting class signed to this point with good in roads made in-state...maybe some of you are at an 8 though. I guess if you guys would grade him a 9 or 10 as of today, then I would definitely disagree.

Should clarify...if he lands Romeo I'd go 9 at minimum.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

The coaches at Northern Iowa, Princeton, and Dayton all landed a player in 2018 that is better than Phinesee, Anderson, Forrester, or Thompson.   Wade at LSU was hired right when Archie was and he multiple 5 stars coming in.  At freakin LSU.

You have no idea if those players are better then RP. Quit looking at freaking rankings. We have a good class. The end.. it'll be really, really good if we get Romeo. Idc what Princeton or Harvard has or Missouri St or whoever you named. Don't care. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You have no idea if those players are better then RP. Quit looking at freaking rankings. We have a good class. The end.. it'll be really, really good if we get Romeo. Idc what Princeton or Harvard has or Missouri St or whoever you named. Don't care. 

Agree ratings are overblown and RP seems to be undervalued...but if we're playing this grading game it's about all we have to judge him on so far. Sure, he could start the "diamond in the rough" trait that Crean has been coined with, but we won't know that until Archie's been here for multiple seasons.

8 minutes ago, Henryville Hoosier said:

What started off as something entertaining, this Crystal ball thing has worn out it's luster. Everybody except one person hasn't updated their pick since November....and it looks like nobody's likely to change their pick until leaks happen a day before the decision so they can keep batting 1.000. 

If they want to make it more entertaining, at least get the 'experts' make a monthly 're-analysis' of their picks. 

23 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Agree ratings are overblown and RP seems to be undervalued...but if we're playing this grading game it's about all we have to judge him on so far. Sure, he could start the "diamond in the rough" trait that Crean has been coined with, but we won't know that until Archie's been here for multiple seasons.

My point was... there's no point in saying "these schools got a player better" when he literally has no clue if that's true or not. 

Just now, Jacarcio said:

Lol I'm starting to hate the crystal ball system. If some type of domino falls that could maybe mean a recruit is going there folks flip to that school.

Next week Drew will say he can cook Romeos favorite meal and everyone will vote for Vandy lol

What’s wrong with that? Shouldn’t you be able to change your pick once you have more information? Just take the crystal ball for what it is...the most accurate ‘takes’ at the moment you take a look at it.

4 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

What’s wrong with that? Shouldn’t you be able to change your pick once you have more information? Just take the crystal ball for what it is...the most accurate ‘takes’ at the moment you take a look at it.

The only thing I don't like about the CB system is that it seems like everyone makes predictions around one reporter's info. Sounds like one person gets a lead, shares it with his close reporter friends, and then all of them make the same prediction. If the system required all of these people to get their own sources/leads before they can make a prediction, I think we'd have a better understanding of how strong the info really is.

Archived