Romeo Langford

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

No it's not. You're speaking in absolutes again and acting like you're the only person in the room who knows anything.  Their national rankings are admittedly a subjective measurement of their overall skill level and potential at the next level.  Those attributes, while not the only factors in all-state voting, are not irrelevant.  You need look no further than Romeo Langford to come to that conclusion.  I'll bet if you look backwards, you'll find plenty of examples where all-state and national ranking services had a high degree of correlation.

They have a correlation simply because people recognize good players. I've coached kids who made All State teams over D1 players, Why? They outperformed them. Quit whining about absolutes, that's weak. Just respond. There's no way someone voting for an all state team should give two craps about what 247 thinks. I would honestly like to know the credentials of have these HS scouts. 

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They have a correlation simply because people recognize good players. I've coached kids who made All State teams over D1 players, Why? They outperformed them. Quit whining about absolutes, that's weak. Just respond. There's no way someone voting for an all state team should give two craps about what 247 thinks. I would honestly like to know the credentials of have these HS scouts. 

Speaking in absolutes is what's weak. It shows zero respect for anyone taking a counter position. It says "my opinion is the only one that matters."

Lairy had a good high school career, but there's a reason he didn't have any high-level offers.  If it were just a height issue, Tyler Ulis would have never played at UK.

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Who will be better than Romeo?  Name the B1G players who will be better.

Are we talking at the 2 or all positions?  Assuming his game translates to the college level, I can't think of a better 2 guard in the Big Ten right now.

20 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The next two rank-wise are Damezi and Rob Phinisee. While I love these kids, if Romeo is not Mr. Basketball, something has gone very wrong.

Agreed. While I think both Rob and Damezi are both high level talent, Romeo is in my opinion, in the top 5 all time players in state history. There’s no way I can imagine Romeo being worried about Mr. Basketball votes. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

It's crazy that the B1G never had a Freshman POY, but it's not surprising considering that teams very rarely get a top 5 player out of high school. As a league, we really aren't great at recruiting. Romeo is the highest ranked recruit to come to the Big Ten since, who....Eric Gordon in 2007!? I don't think Deshaun Thomas was top 5, right?  

That said, if there is a year a freshman POY could happen....it could be next year. 

One thing Romeo has not committed  to IU yet, so lets hold off saying he is the best recruit in the big ten.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

No it's not. You're speaking in absolutes again and acting like you're the only person in the room who knows anything.  Their national rankings are admittedly a subjective measurement of their overall skill level and potential at the next level.  Those attributes, while not the only factors in all-state voting, are not irrelevant.  You need look no further than Romeo Langford to come to that conclusion.  I'll bet if you look backwards, you'll find plenty of examples where all-state and national ranking services had a high degree of correlation.

The national rankings come from summer ball and not their high school careers.  All state rankings come from their high school career so Anderson probably played better on the summer circuit.

34 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

We had to have some more fun with the 247 "experts" and their shifting prognostication.  Also took a look at the latest from the Kansas and Vandy media.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/romeo-langford-sets-announcement-date-what-the-experts-and-kansas-vanderbilt-media-are-saying-now/

You're Killin Me TDH !

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

One thing Romeo has not committed  to IU yet, so lets hold off saying he is the best recruit in the big ten.

Buzzkill. 

If you can’t speak in hypotheticals and wildly speculate then what’s the fun in participating on message boards? 

No doubt Romeo will be very good no matter where he ends up, but imo, for him to be considered Anything of the Year he is going to have to show more interest in playing defense than what he has shown thus far. As well, as smooth and as dominant as he has been, he's going to go up against guys 2-3-4 years older who have had the benefit of those years with a guy like Cliff Marshall to fill out and get stronger. Romeo will hold his own, for sure, but to say he's going to be the best player in the conference is a bit premature in my opinion.

As far as Romeo being top 5 all time in Indiana high school basketball---without giving it much thought, I came up with McGinnis, Oscar, Glen Robinson, Damon Bailey and Shawn Kemp. Giving more thought to it, I'm sure would produce a few more guys for the category 

4 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont have a crystal ball but I do have a magic 8 ball.  When I asked if romeo will commit to IU it said

"I better not tell you now"

I didnt want to push it and get a negative response so i put it down. 

Im going to keep being optimistic.

Inspired by your post, I just asked my IHome Google :  "Who is Romeo Langford.? "

She answered : "According to Wikipedia. Romeo Langford is a basketball player for New Albany, high school"

SO...... then I asked :

Is Romeo Langford going to committ to Indiana University ?

She answered " Sorry, I can't  help with that..... YET."

------------------------------

So according to IHome Google, this still is a chance !   LOL.

As far as Romeo being top 5 all time in Indiana high school basketball---without giving it much thought, I came up with McGinnis, Oscar, Glen Robinson, Damon Bailey and Shawn Kemp. Giving more thought to it, I'm sure would produce a few more guys for the category 

Probably before most of our member's time.  Dick Barnett of Gary Roosevelt, led to his school to their first ever Indiana HS BB Championship game.... facing the winner, Crispus Attucks, featuring the aforementioned "Big O".

Dick Barnett 18pts, 3reb (1955 IHSAA Championship )

Barnett, later went on to 14 successful seasons in the NBA.

Dick Barnett

32 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Buzzkill. 

If you can’t speak in hypotheticals and wildly speculate then what’s the fun in participating on message boards? 

You made it an absolute and not a hypothetical when you said he will be the best recruit in the big ten.

36 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Any position?

Not saying these folks are better, but candidates that my contend for top player honors would include Jalen Smith (Maryland), Carson Edwards (Smellermakers), Ethan Happ (Wisconsin), Juwan Morgan (IU), and if he comes, yes, Romeo. Michigan and Michigan State have plenty of talent, but I don't see much in the way of standout players at either.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not saying these folks are better, but candidates that my contend for top player honors would include Jalen Smith (Maryland), Carson Edwards (Smellermakers), Ethan Happ (Wisconsin), Juwan Morgan (IU), and if he comes, yes, Romeo. Michigan and Michigan State have plenty of talent, but I don't see much in the way of standout players at either.

James Palmer Jr. and Tony Carr are also all-conference first teamers potentially coming back along with Edwards and Happ.  Then you have Juwan, Jordan Murphy, Anthony Cowan Jr., Nick Ward, and Cassius Winston.  I would say that Romeo should be a top 10 player in the league from Day 1 for sure, and has the potential to work his way into the top 5.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

James Palmer Jr. and Tony Carr are also all-conference first teamers potentially coming back along with Edwards and Happ.  Then you have Juwan, Jordan Murphy, Anthony Cowan Jr., Nick Ward, and Cassius Winston.  I would say that Romeo should be a top 10 player in the league from Day 1 for sure, and has the potential to work his way into the top 5.

Pretty sure Tony Carr is gone. For certain I would have included him otherwise.

34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Ok well name one B1G player that you would trade Romeo for assuming you could do whatever you wanted.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You made it an absolute and not a hypothetical when you said he will be the best recruit in the big ten.

Buzzkill  

yes. Romeo is coming, I can see the future  

Dude. I’m not Nostradamus. You know what I mean....I didn’t know we have to be so literal. 

My overall point is: hypothetically, just maybe, if Romeo comes to IU, COULD he POSSIBLY be the first freshman to win BTPOY. 

Sorry if I’m getting ahead of myself. 

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Ok well name one B1G player that you would trade Romeo for assuming you could do whatever you wanted.

While I wouldn't expect him to be B1GPOY, there's no single player I'm confident of choosing ahead of him...just too many unknowns.

Archived