Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

No doubt. Just read this. Great read and thanks for posting. Victor might be one of those great gifts that keep on giving for years to come. He embodies all things Hoosier. He embraced us and we've embraced him. Shoot even the Purdue guys (Hammer and Rails) tweeted out yesterday they'll never have a problem cheering for guys like Vic and Yogi.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

"Guess where my first away game was my rookie year? Indiana. When I was introduced, I got a standing ovation.

That’s love. I felt at home.

I can’t tell you how special it feels when you think about how in only a few years, you can go from nobody knowing how to pronounce your name, to 20,000 people chanting it in unison. And I was on the opposing team.

It was like that every time I came back. If I was playing for Orlando, Oklahoma City, it didn’t matter. If I ever went out in Indiana I was embraced by the people. Everyone remembered the years I played in college and talked about them like I was still on the team. Even when I was away, I was tied to Indiana."

First off, love Victor.  If Tom Crean did nothing else for this program, bringing that guy here would be enough.  That whole team just seemed to "get it".  Crean, for whatever reason, could never get another group together like that.

That right there is the best recruiting pitch for kids coming here.  You are not getting that in Nashville, you may get it in Lawrence, but you play here, you always have a home.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Vic...what an articulate, passionate ambassador he is for Indiana. If I were Romeo reading that, I would be saying Sign. Me. Up.

10 pages to go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

"Guess where my first away game was my rookie year? Indiana. When I was introduced, I got a standing ovation.

That’s love. I felt at home.

I can’t tell you how special it feels when you think about how in only a few years, you can go from nobody knowing how to pronounce your name, to 20,000 people chanting it in unison. And I was on the opposing team.

It was like that every time I came back. If I was playing for Orlando, Oklahoma City, it didn’t matter. If I ever went out in Indiana I was embraced by the people. Everyone remembered the years I played in college and talked about them like I was still on the team. Even when I was away, I was tied to Indiana."

First off, love Victor.  If Tom Crean did nothing else for this program, bringing that guy here would be enough.  That whole team just seemed to "get it".  Crean, for whatever reason, could never get another group together like that.

That right there is the best recruiting pitch for kids coming here.  You are not getting that in Nashville, you may get it in Lawrence, but you play here, you always have a home.

I don't believe Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, etc.  get standing ovations when they play the Pacers.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, HoosierAlice said:

I don't believe Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, etc.  get standing ovations when they play the Pacers.  

Who?  ;)

Never heard of 'em.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, HoosierAlice said:

I don't believe Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, etc.  get standing ovations when they play the Pacers.  

This must be the backlash everyone speaks of. :coffee:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

Interesting. Was that after he announced it would be at the school? 

It was this article from April 12:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2769764-unassuming-indiana-basketball-phenom-romeo-langford-just-wants-to-play-ball.amp.html

And here’s the quote.  I guess it’s still possible that the mayor could be there at the school.

 

00290C61-3584-47A4-9E32-D26D2B050130.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It was this article from April 12:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2769764-unassuming-indiana-basketball-phenom-romeo-langford-just-wants-to-play-ball.amp.html

And here’s the quote.  I guess it’s still possible that the mayor could be there at the school.

 

00290C61-3584-47A4-9E32-D26D2B050130.png

Sounds good.  I hope he doesn't do the sleeve/hat act (especially with the fake out move) - always struck me as corny and showboating.  I'll happily settle for a short & sweet "Thank you all for coming here today.  After careful consideration of these 3 fine programs I've decided to play at Indiana University".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

It's crazy that the B1G never had a Freshman POY, but it's not surprising considering that teams very rarely get a top 5 player out of high school. As a league, we really aren't great at recruiting. Romeo is the highest ranked recruit to come to the Big Ten since, who....Eric Gordon in 2007!? I don't think Deshaun Thomas was top 5, right?  

That said, if there is a year a freshman POY could happen....it could be next year. 

I saw something about he'd be the highest since Sullinger at OSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Sounds good.  I hope he doesn't do the sleeve/hat act (especially with the fake out move) - always struck me as corny and showboating.  I'll happily settle for a short & sweet "Thank you all for coming here today.  After careful consideration of these 3 fine programs I've decided to play at Indiana University".

"I've decided to play at Indiana University"

As long as he says that, he could have a circus for all I care. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

"Guess where my first away game was my rookie year? Indiana. When I was introduced, I got a standing ovation.

That’s love. I felt at home.

I can’t tell you how special it feels when you think about how in only a few years, you can go from nobody knowing how to pronounce your name, to 20,000 people chanting it in unison. And I was on the opposing team.

It was like that every time I came back. If I was playing for Orlando, Oklahoma City, it didn’t matter. If I ever went out in Indiana I was embraced by the people. Everyone remembered the years I played in college and talked about them like I was still on the team. Even when I was away, I was tied to Indiana."

First off, love Victor.  If Tom Crean did nothing else for this program, bringing that guy here would be enough.  That whole team just seemed to "get it".  Crean, for whatever reason, could never get another group together like that.

That right there is the best recruiting pitch for kids coming here.  You are not getting that in Nashville, you may get it in Lawrence, but you play here, you always have a home.

So true that Romeo wouldn't get that in Nashville and while he may get that in Kansas, there's not much reason (or time for that matter with the length of the NBA season) for Romeo to go back to the state of Kansas if he played at KU. He's definitely coming back to Indiana to play against/for (how awesome would that be?) the Pacers and he seems to love his hometown of NA so I would imagine he would spend part of his offseasons there as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

And O.G.?

Watching OG in game 1 of the playoffs make it hurt that much more that the Pacers passed on him for TJ freaking Leaf. Granted, McMillan would have had to play him and I'm not sure of his stance on playing rookies.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Watching OG in game 1 of the playoffs make it hurt that much more that the Pacers passed on him for TJ freaking Leaf. Granted, McMillan would have had to play him and I'm not sure of his stance on playing rookies.

I do think Leaf will be solid... but, yes... we made a mistake there. Literally the only front office mistake we made last offseason. Pritchard is our MVP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was hoping he'd just say, "I'm Romeo Langford and I'm a Hoosier."  Give them something to play on the screen at the football games.

Honestly though, he can do it however he wants. I just hope, for Romeo's sake, he and his family enjoy the whole process as much as they can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dakich now saying he thinks Romeo to IU.  Says no question in his mind.....basing his opinion on Romeo opening his announcement up to the public.  I like this....

Edited by CTrojan88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Dakich now saying he thinks Romeo to IU.  

Way to step out there on a limb, Dan...

Captain Obvious.jpg

Edited by FKIM01
Added Dan's picture...
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The HOT take which I’m most sick of hearing by Vandy (primarily) and KU fans: if Romeo chooses anywhere other than IU, they are worried for his physical safety. **** off ‘Dores. Face defeat with respect... should be used to it by now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HoosierAlice said:

I don't believe Trey Lyles, Gary Harris, etc.  get standing ovations when they play the Pacers.  

And they're hometown guys.  But I'm sure Yogi does.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DocHoosier said:

The HOT take which I’m most sick of hearing by Vandy (primarily) and KU fans: if Romeo chooses anywhere other than IU, they are worried for his physical safety. F**k off ‘Dores. Face defeat with respect... should be used to it by now

Yeah, that's just stupid.  I don't think there's any record of assault against a Mr. Basketball that didn't select IU and there have been plenty to test that theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×