Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys this is so much like Cody.

Narrowed to 3, with one challenger being a top blue blood in KU and one being the interesting school looking to be on the rise, like Cody with UNC with all of its arrogance and Butler making a strong  push. 

His decision held close to the vest. 

Good family behind him, keeping the decision all about their son and what’s best for him, with it being his decision. 

The announcement at the school with the IU hat and all of the students and media present. 

The likelihood that his addition will take IU significantly forward in one season - the leap with Cody was a big one, the leap with Romeo seems likely to be as well.

And absolutely helping to put IU front and center, again, in the minds of top IN prospects and coaches.

Welcome aboard Romeo, we’ve been looking forward to this day for a long time 

Can anyone bring light on why Romeo's dad was holding up the red arm sleeve (at least that is what it looked like) behind Romeo after his announcement. It seemed a little odd since he held it up for an extended period.

Great night! I told my daughter (a hs bball player and IU fan) to expect some random hi-five's the next few days. She's all in on that.

I honestly can't wait to see how RL is going to grow on the defensive end. He plays so nonchalantly on the defensive end a lot of of the time but will not be able to do that going forward with Archie. Should be a real treat to watch that progress. 

2 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Can anyone bring light on why Romeo's dad was holding up the red arm sleeve (at least that is what it looked like) behind Romeo after his announcement. It seemed a little odd since he held it up for an extended period.

Great night! I told my daughter (a hs bball player and IU fan) to expect some random hi-five's the next few days. She's all in on that.

I honestly can't wait to see how RL is going to grow on the defensive end. He plays so nonchalantly on the defensive end a lot of of the time but will not be able to do that going forward with Archie. Should be a real treat to watch that progress. 

Dad wanted to do 3 shooting sleeves instead of the hats. Romeo said no.

26 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Guys this is so much like Cody.

Narrowed to 3, with one challenger being a top blue blood in KU and one being the interesting school looking to be on the rise, like Cody with UNC with all of its arrogance and Butler making a strong  push. 

His decision held close to the vest. 

Good family behind him, keeping the decision all about their son and what’s best for him, with it being his decision. 

The announcement at the school with the IU hat and all of the students and media present. 

The likelihood that his addition will take IU significantly forward in one season - the leap with Cody was a big one, the leap with Romeo seems likely to be as well.

And absolutely helping to put IU front and center, again, in the minds of top IN prospects and coaches.

Welcome aboard Romeo, we’ve been looking forward to this day for a long time 

Who was the top Indiana player that season? I believe I saw Cody was second.

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Who was the top Indiana player that season? I believe I saw Cody was second.

Must have been a prep schooler. Cody was Mr. Basketball.  For the life of me, I can't remember who would have been higher ranked.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Must have been a prep schooler. Cody was Mr. Basketball.  For the life of me, I can't remember who would have been higher ranked.

Marquis Teague was the unanimous #1 in the state out of Pike. I think Branden Dawson out ranked Cody in some sites but I don’t remember 

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Teague. At the gym was being lazy. Lol at that btw. As a rank kinda matters guy it’s def not an absolute thing. Usually is with top 10 guys though.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Top piece - 

the Hoosiers do not have enough coming back to make a run at the top 25...

hmm, not so sure about that 

It is baffling to me how much the national guys discount Juwan.  I read Bozich’s interview with Jeff Borzello about the Romeo commitment earlier tonight, and Borzello was talking like Romeo is joining up with a bunch of scrubs — didn’t mention Juwan a single time.  The kid was second team all-conference last season and absolutely dominated national darling Bonzi Colson in a marquee game.   What gives?

Hell, even Osterman wrote that IU won’t be the preseason favorite in the Big Ten even with Juwan and Romeo.  They will be the best duo in the conference by far, with other talented pieces around them.  I don’t see who should be the favorite ahead of us.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It is baffling to me how much the national guys discount Juwan.  I read Bozich’s interview with Jeff Borzello about the Romeo commitment earlier tonight, and Borzello was talking like Romeo is joining up with a bunch of scrubs — didn’t mention Juwan a single time.  The kid was second team all-conference last season and absolutely dominated national darling Bonzi Colson in a marquee game.   What gives?

Hell, even Osterman wrote that IU won’t be the preseason favorite in the Big Ten even with Juwan and Romeo.  They will be the best duo in the conference by far, with other talented pieces around them.  I don’t see who should be the favorite ahead of us.

No doubt Juwan is being underrated and he could’ve been first team. 

I have no idea if it will all gel next season and if our key players will stay healthy, but the failure to see the impact of adding Langford to the talent of guys like Juwan and Smith.... 

27 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Marquis Teague was the unanimous #1 in the state out of Pike. I think Branden Dawson out ranked Cody in some sites but I don’t remember 

While Cody hasn't gone all Oladipo on the NBA, he's proven way better at that level than Teague or Dawson. Just goes to show how valid those rankings were.  At least the Mr. Basketball people got it right.

44 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Romeo often had big games or vicious dunks when wearing his red sleeve. Fans in New Albany took notice and began using a #RedSleeveRo whenever they posted videos/pics of those games. The videographer that followed him all year, Frankie Vision, also used the hashtag often. I guess dad was telling the NA fans that we haven't seen the last of #RedSleeveRo. 

13 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Love it. People always talking about the fear of IU fan backlash and how Romeo should be concerned for his safety but low and behold, a television personality with a large following chastising a high school kid for doing what's best for him.  

294557114_ScreenShot2018-04-30at11_59_30PM.png.30104541545873ed04393041c7a3ed45.png

LOL...how delusional is that.  I'd bet quite a bit that IU has more success than Vanderbilt does next year.  Given the lack of experience and returning talent Vandy has, I can't imagine them contending even if they got Romeo.  No doubt he helps, but not nearly the same supporting cast he'll have at IU.

This kid is the real deal on and off the court. New Albany is terribly sad to see him go, but I know many of us will be making Bloomington our second home. I still can't believe I'll be watching a hometown baller in Assembly Hall. I know some people thought tonight was maybe a little much, but Romeo has been a selfless ambassador for New Albany and has signed autographs for hours after every game...home and away. He earned and deserved the spotlight for 45 minutes tonight and New Albany was more than happy to give it to him. 

20180501_002059.jpg

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

While Cody hasn't gone all Oladipo on the NBA, he's proven way better at that level than Teague or Dawson. Just goes to show how valid those rankings were.  At least the Mr. Basketball people got it right.

Cody didn’t have the verticality or arm length to ever really be elite at the next level. He didn’t have the back to the basket game either. I think he’s done exceptionally well to get that second contract and fair play to him for turning into a hustle and do the little things type of player. I can see the appeal of going to Cal but Teague messed up going to UK and going the easy route. It’s the risk you take going there. IMO the ranking was fair because he had the higher ceiling. I’m not disagreeing with you either just throwing it out how I see it and yes the writers absolutely got it right. Even if you asked me at the time I’d have taken Cody over him because Cody projected at an elite level in college.

4 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Cody didn’t have the verticality or arm length to ever really be elite at the next level. He didn’t have the back to the basket game either. I think he’s done exceptionally well to get that second contract and fair play to him for turning into a hustle and do the little things type of player. I can see the appeal of going to Cal but Teague messed up going to UK and going the easy route. It’s the risk you take going there. IMO the ranking was fair because he had the higher ceiling. I’m not disagreeing with you either just throwing it out how I see it and yes the writers absolutely got it right. Even if you asked me at the time I’d have taken Cody over him because Cody projected at an elite level in college.

Zeller had the highest standing vert at the NBA Combine in 2013.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Zeller had the highest standing vert at the NBA Combine in 2013.

Maybe my memory was wrong and I’m talking out of my ass but I remember him constantly getting blocked and his role in the hornet offense is to set screens, hustle, move the ball, and get up and down. I know I’m correct about the wingspan which is equal to his height. 

Archived