Romeo Langford

10 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Maybe my memory was wrong and I’m talking out of my ass but I remember him constantly getting blocked and his role in the hornet offense is to set screens, hustle, move the ball, and get up and down. I know I’m correct about the wingspan which is equal to his height. 

Definitely was soft around the basket and didn’t have that great of a post game.  But the guy is actually a crazy athlete.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

Definitely was soft around the basket and didn’t have that great of a post game.  But the guy is actually a crazy athlete.

He definitely was. He was amazing for the program and amazing in the system. He’s a valuable NBA player too. I’m definitely not disrespecting him in anyway.

11 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Maybe my memory was wrong and I’m talking out of my ass but I remember him constantly getting blocked and his role in the hornet offense is to set screens, hustle, move the ball, and get up and down. I know I’m correct about the wingspan which is equal to his height. 

I'll give you the T-Rex factor (although it's relatively speaking only), but Cody ran the court exceptionally well for a big guy and had plenty of leaping ability.

Beyond that, he had what some analysts completely miss/discount to their detriment...character, intelligence and coachability. Teague was a punk with a bad attitude. I'm not at all surprised that he's done little at the next level.

Just now, FKIM01 said:

I'll give you the T-Rex factor (although it's relatively speaking only), but Cody ran the court exceptionally well for a big guy and had plenty of leaping ability.

Beyond that, he had what some analysts completely miss/discount to their detriment...character, intelligence and coachability. Teague was a punk with a bad attitude. I'm not at all surprised that he's done little at the next level.

I’m right there with you on all of this. I could have dodged all of this in a short sentence by saying that rankings are projections that are NBA ceiling based and not really for the short term / necessarily applicable to college. 

🤷🏼‍♂

4 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I’m right there with you on all of this. I could have dodged all of this in a short sentence by saying that rankings are projections that are NBA ceiling based and not really for the short term / necessarily applicable to college. 

🤷🏼‍♂

No harm...I'm enjoying the discussion.

I don’t want the program slopping together the highest ranked players but I do want them doing exactly what Archie’s doing. Getting a solid base of already talented players with the ability to get game changers when we need to fit them. The Lecque situation is going to be a really interesting one to follow. If he can pull that one off then just wow. That’s elite 8 contender stuff every single year. 

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

But was character spewing out of him?

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

So anyone find out who the special guest was supposed to be? lol

I’d love to hear what @CoachSS has to say about how this reveal went down. It seemed awfully goofy to me and a lot closer than we might have realized. Then again Tim does seem like to embrace the show of it all, so hell who knows. I’m just glad it’s over. I know 0708 was a little perplexed. We got our man in the end though and that’s all that matters.

Just wanted to thank everyone here for such incredible, friendly, and informative banter the past few months. This has been a monumental recruiting effort, and I appreciate a site like this which operates without all the harsh rhetoric, and you can find like minded folks, even when you disagree. Rare these days, so thank you HSN 3.0 for getting this back up and running and providing such a unique, free, venue!

Still cannot believe as of March 25, 2017 when we hired Archie, the last big time recruit we had in Indiana was Zeller, and that was so long ago. Since then, we had basically lost the state which was one of the things I really hated about IU Bball. Under Knight, we had such wonderful classes, which were full of IU players. You can say what you want about his coaching style, but his teams symbolized what Indiana was. Great team oriented play, offense and defense. The class I remember most fondly was loaded with incredible Indiana players, 1989. Pat Graham, Greg Graham, Calbert Cheaney, and Todd Leary who formed what I consider the last time Indiana really dominated the State of Indiana.

In one year, his first recruiting class is made up of really good 4 star Indiana all state players, one all time great Indiana Mr. Basketball, and one player from Ohio. This is the first time I think we found a coach who is going to do really well in this state as far as recruiting, and this is one of the key elements which has been missing for the past 20 years. I cannot believe it has been such a long time, but tonight I go to bed as a happy camper, with thoughts of 4 star players, many from Indiana, forming a base to continue from year to year, sprinkled in with a 5 star each year to keep the program humming along. It has been a long time since I have felt this good. The future is bright, and I will sleep well tonight with thoughts of TJD, Brooks, and Watford all committing for 2019. Before I would have thought we have very little chance. Now I feel like we are the front runner for many. What a difference a year can make. I wonder if CAM would allow a Professor to come and watch some practices this summer?

Once again, thank you for everyone who contributed to this massive thread and special shout outs to are special insiders, Mile, 0708, Coach, and anyone else I missed.

5 hours ago, Iuprof said:

Still cannot believe as of March 25, 2017 when we hired Archie, the last big time recruit we had in Indiana was Zeller, and that was so long ago.

Do not forget Yogi and Blackmon, they were both pretty big gets at the time.  However, I think it was an article by Jeff Borzello on ESPN that said that Tom Crean was only able to land 5 of the 35 players from Indiana that were in the ESPN top 100 in the 9 years he was on campus.  That is ultimately what will get you fired at Indiana.  When you have roughly 4 kids coming out of the state in the top 100 every year (on average) and you fail to land even just one a year (on average) you are going to struggle.  Crean basically mishandled "The Movement" and it killed his in state recruiting.  Any coach at IU has got to know that job one is landing some of the best kids in this state almost every year.  Just recruiting Indiana alone should provide enough good players to be a consistently ranked program.  Thankfully it appears Miller understands this.

1 hour ago, OldDog said:

I’ve been lurking for years, but I decided to sign in and express my guarded excitement for the new regime. I hope we can continue the roll we’re are on. 

Welcome and keep posting.  We have entered into an exciting time.

I was offline last night so just catching up. First thanks to Mile, 0708, CoachSS and a few others I know I'm missing. Appreciate your input on this recruitment. Never thought Archie would get us here in 1 year.  The momentum from this recruitment is hard to quantify. If a kid like Romeo is buying IU the others have to be saying I am too. Archie promised to lock it down and in 1 year...3 of the 6 Mr. Indiana finalists. Add to that 4 stars from MN and Ohio...add to that an underutilized guy like Jake and all I can say to do that in year 1 is just incredible.

I'll admit I was hesitant at the start....national folks kept saying all Archie needed was a platform. Guess they were right. In 1 year...Archie compiled a class that Porkchop would dream of and he's been at Purdue before Twitter was invented. Think about what Archie (and Staff) just did.

I now can breathe. I now can chill. If we miss on a recruit here or there...no big deal. Archie showed me in year 1 what took previous coaches of the past 20+ years (with exceptions of Cody, Gordon, Yogi) to achieve...we have something very special in Bloomington. Just needed the right coach selling it. 

Romeo we thank you. The 5 or 6 message boards thank you. Millions of views later we thank you.

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

It is baffling to me how much the national guys discount Juwan.  I read Bozich’s interview with Jeff Borzello about the Romeo commitment earlier tonight, and Borzello was talking like Romeo is joining up with a bunch of scrubs — didn’t mention Juwan a single time.  The kid was second team all-conference last season and absolutely dominated national darling Bonzi Colson in a marquee game.   What gives?

Hell, even Osterman wrote that IU won’t be the preseason favorite in the Big Ten even with Juwan and Romeo.  They will be the best duo in the conference by far, with other talented pieces around them.  I don’t see who should be the favorite ahead of us.

Maybe I never noticed it when I was younger, or maybe because it wasn't there, but it's baffling to me how much the national guys seemingly abhor the thought of Indiana getting back to ELITE blue blood status and winning a couple of championships. No question this program has been in the wilderness MUCH LONGER than we should have been, but even the thought of Indiana becoming dominant seems to make the national guys' skin crawl. 

15 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Maybe I never noticed it when I was younger, or maybe because it wasn't there, but it's baffling to me how much the national guys seemingly abhor the thought of Indiana getting back to ELITE blue blood status and winning a couple of championships. No question this program has been in the wilderness MUCH LONGER than we should have been, but even the thought of Indiana becoming dominant seems to make the national guys' skin crawl. 

Saw you quote me a couple of days ago... what's up man? You haven't posted much have you? 

And honestly those national guys watch teams in the top 30-35 only. 

Bottom line, if Hunter can play according to his rank or a little above and Green wakes up we're going to be VERY good. 

Thanks to everyone on this website that provided information in this recruitment, there we lots of you with valuable information leading up to his decision.  It was a crazy ride that felt like would never end.  In the end, we got our guy that I believe just put the state and country on notice that Archie will be a force to be dealt with when trying to recruit players inside the state.  

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Saw you quote me a couple of days ago... what's up man? You haven't posted much have you? 

Bottom line, if Hunter can play according to his rank or a little above and Green wakes up we're going to be VERY good. 

I've watched a lot of highlights of Hunter and I could definitely see him starting at the 3 eventually.  Mcbob may get the nod at the beginning of the year but Hunter has as much potential as anyone on the roster not named Romeo.  I highly doubt he's here 4 years.

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

haha Thanks for noticing :) Yeah I haven't been posting as much unfortunately! Schedule has been a little too rough of late. Hopefully that eases up soon! 

Archived