Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Danomatic said:

We have 27 days and a wake up... I have no knowledge or inside information, but I think that he announces on Friday April 27th, at 3:30 PM. @ New Albany HS w/ the mayor’s assistance. He will tell everyone that he’s going to Bloomington and southern Indiana will celebrate the entire weekend. 

Fast forward to November. IU is 6-0 and rolling, ranked #9 in the country when out of the blue... Trayce Jackson Davis decides to commit after IU destroys Virginia in blowout fashion. Shortly after the Davis commitment, Brooks decided to end his recruitment, also deciding to don the candystripes. 

Fast forward to late March; our Indiana Hoosiers are 30-3 and playing our best basketball of the season, getting ready to tie and surpass our single season wins record in the Elite Eight. The Hoosiers will go on to shock the college basketball world and bring home banner #6. 

Finally, our program has returned to their rightful throne in college basketball prestige and status. Archie Miller and Co. have the program rolling. Our eyes are set directly on national championships and the sleeping basketball giant has awakened.

To be continued....

Is Fort Wayne one of the 3 losses?  :coffee:

10 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Man that should count as a visit....  Garland is really pressin' hard

Gonna be a long frickin' month

Honestly, it probably annoys the hell out of Romeo. If Romeo doesn’t choose Vandy, they’re a scrub team. Garland made his bed by picking Vandy. Hopefully, Romeo picks IU and everyone for us returns, there’s continued skill improvement, plus a healthy Deron, and it’s not out of the realm of possibility that we’re still playing this time next year. 

I happened by Inside Carolina's free board today.  Someone started a thread about if Romeo commits to Vanderbilt, that, that would make three 5 stars in one class for them.  Then the question became, when did Vanderbilt become a power recruiter ?  Followed by people saying things like...."the check is in the mail".... to highly suspicious.

Personally, I don't think anything sinister is going on with Romeo.  However, I can understand a school with a tradition of getting five stars all the time,  like North Carolina, would have fans suspicious of a school that hasn't them before.

It's an interesting thread, if you care to check it out.  Interesting in that fans who really don't have a dog in the hunt are saying about Romeo's recruitment.

I received info this weekend that Ryan Taylor is waiting for Langford to announce. When I followed up on that, it appears that Taylor wants to go to IU (which is basically the same thing I was told from another source weeks ago), but does not want to compete with Romeo for playing time. Either way, a huge upgrade to our roster.

29 minutes ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I received info this weekend that Ryan Taylor is waiting for Langford to announce. When I followed up on that, it appears that Taylor wants to go to IU (which is basically the same thing I was told from another source weeks ago), but does not want to compete with Romeo for playing time. Either way, a huge upgrade to our roster.

He’s potentially a nice consolation but I don’t see why they both couldn’t play a ton.  With Taylor’s gaudy deep shooting stats, he and Romeo could click together big time.   Romeo is great with the ball and if the defense hedges over, boom, kick it out to Taylor for three.  

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I happened by Inside Carolina's free board today.  Someone started a thread about if Romeo commits to Vanderbilt, that, that would make three 5 stars in one class for them.  Then the question became, when did Vanderbilt become a power recruiter ?  Followed by people saying things like...."the check is in the mail".... to highly suspicious.

Personally, I don't think anything sinister is going on with Romeo.  However, I can understand a school with a tradition of getting five stars all the time,  like North Carolina, would have fans suspicious of a school that hasn't them before.

It's an interesting thread, if you care to check it out.  Interesting in that fans who really don't have a dog in the hunt are saying about Romeo's recruitment.

I don't think Vandy is doing anything dirty.  This is all Garland.  Now if Drew pulls off something similar in 2019 it will be time to send the FBI in.  I doubt that happens though. 

Vanderbilt landing all of these five star recruits has the same feel to it as when Ole Miss football started landing blue chip player after blue chip player when Hughe Freese was at the helm. Not saying that Vanderbilt is doing anything for certain but it is surprising that out of nowhere these top recruits start raining down upon them. 

1 minute ago, azhoosier said:

Vanderbilt landing all of these five star recruits has the same feel to it as when Ole Miss football started landing blue chip player after blue chip player when Hughe Freese was at the helm. Not saying that Vanderbilt is doing anything for certain but it is surprising that out of nowhere these top recruits start raining down upon them. 

Actually part of this is just good luck on Bryce's behalf, IMHO.  Being an assistant at Valpo, under his dad, Homer Drew.... Bryce established a connection with the former NBA player, Winston Garland from Gary.... and as a result  a connection with Darius Garland as early as the third grade was established..... when Winston and Darius were still living in Gary.  Then, Bryce had his summer basketball camps, which Darius was a regular attendee.  So, it is not just an overnight thing, between the Garlands, and Bryce Drew. Which is why, though I wanted Darius to come to IU....I was.... unlike some famous IU reporters on another famous IU fanboard....who to the very end were attempting to convince their pay per view members..... based on conversations with, and trips to talk with Winston.... that Darius was all but a lock for IU (reported to me by members, who are long time friends of mine, and always willing to share intel).  I knew better. And was not at all surprised when Darius committed to Drew.

So... based on the long term relationship the Garland's have had with Bryce.... I highly doubt there is anything untoward about that recruitment.   Just good luck on Bryce's behalf.

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Actually part of this is just good luck on Bryce's behalf, IMHO.  Being an assistant at Valpo, under his dad, Homer Drew.... Bryce established a connection with the former NBA player, Winston Garland from Gary.... and as a result  a connection with Darius Garland as early as the third grade was established..... when Winston and Darius were still living in Gary.  Then, Bryce had his summer basketball camps, which Darius was a regular attendee.  So, it is not just an overnight thing, between the Garlands, and Bryce Drew. Which is why, though I wanted Darius to come to IU....I was.... unlike some famous IU reporters on another famous IU fanboard....who to the very end were attempting to convince their pay per view members..... based on conversations with, and trips to talk with Winston.... that Darius was all but a lock for IU (reported to me by members, who are long time friends of mine, and always willing to share intel).  I knew better. And was not at all surprised when Darius committed to Drew.

So... based on the long term relationship the Garland's have had with Bryce.... I highly doubt there is anything untoward about that recruitment.   Just good luck on Bryce's behalf.

How do you think Drew ended up at a college in the same town Garland is from?

39 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

How do you think Drew ended up at a college in the same town Garland is from?

Serendipity is my guess. Again, the initial connection was made when Dariius lived in Gary, and Bryce in Valpo.  Darius first started out playing Biddy Basketball for the Glen Park Biddy Basketball team.... same team that Brandon Dawson played for.  While coaching Gary West High School, Winston looked into AAU teams and higher level programs for Darius, than what he could find in Gary at the time.  Darius started playing for a travel team from the Nashville area, as I recall.  And then the decision was made by Winston to move the entire family from Gary to Nashville, and enroll Darius in Brentwood.

I honestly don't see a connection between Bryce taking the Vandy job with Darius living in Nashville. If you have any information to the contrary, and are willing to share it... I would love to hear it.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Serendipity is my guess. Again, the initial connection was made when Dariius lived in Gary, and Bryce in Valpo.  Darius first started out playing Biddy Basketball for the Glen Park Biddy Basketball team.... same team that Brandon Dawson played for.  While coaching Gary West High School, Winston looked into AAU teams and higher level programs for Darius, than what he could find in Gary at the time.  Darius started playing for a travel team from the Nashville area, as I recall.  And then the decision was made by Winston to move the entire family from Gary to Nashville, and enroll Darius in Brentwood.

I honestly don't see a connection between Bryce taking the Vandy job with Darius living in Nashville. If you have any information to the contrary, and are willing to share it... I would love to hear it.

Thanks, I don't have any info, I was just curious because it was a pretty big coincidence.

I can confirm this story.  A friend of mine coached for Winston at Calumet and West, and he tells me the same story.

21 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I can confirm this story.  A friend of mine coached for Winston at Calumet and West, and he tells me the same story.

Mentioning Calumet.   Not that this has anything to do with Darius or Romeo.  But.... Dan Dakich's dad once was the Principal at Calumet.

And thanks for confirming my story.   I may not live in anymore. But when it comes to following basketball in Northwest Indiana.... I do my best to keep up with the times. 

40 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Darius isn’t LeBron James or Kevin Durant. I fully expect him to beat at Vanderbilt more than 1 year.  From what I’ve seen of him he has a long way to go to be NBA ready.  (As do most high school seniors.).  

He’s a nice player, but I’m not seeing superstar either.  His ranking has fell steadily from last summer - 5th to 14th now.

Archived