Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Fort Wayne is the second biggest city in the state.

Well obviously "The Region" is not a city but...According to the 2010 Census, Northwest Indiana has a population of 819,537 and is the state's second largest urban area after the Indianapolis Metropolitan area.

Anyway...back to discussing Romeo...

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Fort Wayne is the second biggest city in the state.

And first in number of Arby’s per capita.

I loved to make fun of the region (Indiana’s armpit) in college. But count me as one who fled IL for the NWI. I really didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do; it’s one of the better decisions I’ve made in my life.

4 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

With the assumption that order does not matter (ie. Green playing the 5 spot), 5fouls is correct.  It’s a combination and not a permutation.  If order does matter, it’s a lot less.

I asked the question but I have no idea of the answer. There are a lot of different variables one could play with to come up with a variety of answers it seems. I originally was just wondering about 13 players taking 5 spots but not that they had to occupy a certain position. Like Green would not have to be factored in playing the 1,2,3,4&5. Just him with the other 12 players in different variations, etc. 

I'm not a math guy so I give up pretty easy. 

28 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

The thousands of people flooding into the area from Chicago to avoid the high taxes would probably disagree with you.

I would take living in the region over Fort Wayne any day.

Hold on. Hold on. I have no idea about "the region" vs. FW.. but to say it's a good place to live because people would rather live there then Chicago is a bit, insane. Terrible place 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hold on. Hold on. I have no idea about "the region" vs. FW.. but to say it's a good place to live because people would rather live there then Chicago is a bit, insane. Terrible place 

Actually, it's not insane at all. Have you been to Porter County? Calling Valparaiso, Chesterton, and Crown Point a "terrible place" is just silly. People aren't flocking to the area en mass because it is a "terrible place." Certainly there are some bad areas in "The Region" but that does not describe the entire area.

I'm done discussing this in this thread...but maybe realize that different people have different wants, needs, and likes on where they live.

17 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Actually, it's not insane at all. Have you been to Porter County? Calling Valparaiso, Chesterton, and Crown Point a "terrible place" is just silly. People aren't flocking to the area en mass because it is a "terrible place." Certainly there are some bad areas in "The Region" but that does not describe the entire area.

I'm done discussing this in this thread...but maybe realize that different people have different wants, needs, and likes on where they live.

I said Chicago was a terrible place. I've never visited the region. 

I normally try to stay out of these types of discussions, and I don't want the following post to be misconstrued as argumentative, defensive, or offensive, and I don't mean to single anyone out.  I'm just trying clarify some things that were said about The Region and Chicago not just in this thread, but over the years reading these message boards.   

I'm proud to be from The Region.  I've lived nearly my entire life there (save for my time in Bloomington), but three years ago for a host of reasons we moved to Westfield.

Culturally, economically, politically, geographically, and even in a temporal sense, the Region is much more part of Chicago than it is Indiana, though you'd be hard pressed to find someone from the Region who wasn't proud to be a Hoosier, too.  An extremely large percentage of the residents commute daily to Chicago.  In a real sense it is an extended suburb of the city.  That wasn't as true decades ago when Gary and East Chicago were pumping out steel and the industry, along with oil and gas, was the dominant economic base in The Region, but today most people rely on jobs in Chicago.

It's really a unique place; it's as much Illinois as it is Indiana, and I experienced mild culture shock when we moved to Westfield.  It's really like an entirely different State here.

Chicago is not a terrible place, and anywhere you'd go to visit is just as safe as anywhere you'd go in downtown Indianapolis.  Don't conflate one or two bad areas of the city with the entire place being "terrible."  I love visiting Chicago, and having grown up in The Region, I view Chicago as very much a part of my hometown and my upbringing.  Thus, a lot of us "Region Rats" just simply say we're from near Chicago or a suburb of Chicago because it's the best way to convey the many complexities of that part of the State in a terse manner.

Also, Da Bears.

29 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I normally try to stay out of these types of discussions, and I don't want the following post to be misconstrued as argumentative, defensive, or offensive, and I don't mean to single anyone out.  I'm just trying clarify some things that were said about The Region and Chicago not just in this thread, but over the years reading these message boards.   

I'm proud to be from The Region.  I've lived nearly my entire life there (save for my time in Bloomington), but three years ago for a host of reasons we moved to Westfield.

Culturally, economically, politically, geographically, and even in a temporal sense, the Region is much more part of Chicago than it is Indiana, though you'd be hard pressed to find someone from the Region who wasn't proud to be a Hoosier, too.  An extremely large percentage of the residents commute daily to Chicago.  In a real sense it is an extended suburb of the city.  That wasn't as true decades ago when Gary and East Chicago were pumping out steel and the industry, along with oil and gas, was the dominant economic base in The Region, but today most people rely on jobs in Chicago.

It's really a unique place; it's as much Illinois as it is Indiana, and I experienced mild culture shock when we moved to Westfield.  It's really like an entirely different State here.

Chicago is not a terrible place, and anywhere you'd go to visit is just as safe as anywhere you'd go in downtown Indianapolis.  Don't conflate one or two bad areas of the city with the entire place being "terrible."  I love visiting Chicago, and having grown up in The Region, I view Chicago as very much a part of my hometown and my upbringing.  Thus, a lot of us "Region Rats" just simply say we're from near Chicago or a suburb of Chicago because it's the best way to convey the many complexities of that part of the State in a terse manner.

Also, Da Bears.

Nice, informative post.

And I love visiting Chicago, beautiful, amazing city.

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Nice, informative post.

And I love visiting Chicago, beautiful, amazing city.

I grew up in Chicago, three blocks from Wrigley Field. A great deal of my family still lives there.

We didn't live in the suburbs (Niles, Skokie etc) and claim we were from Chicago. We lived right in the north side of the city.

As as kid I loved it. As and adult, I love it. Chicago is a fantastic city. 

Yeah politics, taxes etc are a mess, not denying that.

But the city, and people as a whole? I don' think there is a better big city in America. That's just my opinion..

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I grew up in Chicago, three blocks from Wrigley Field. A great deal of my family still lives there.

We didn' live in the suburbs (Niles, Skokie etc) and claim we were from Chicago. We lived right in the north side of the city.

As as kid I loved it. As and adult, I love it. Chicago is a fantastic city. 

Yeah politics, taxes etc are a mess, not denying that.

But the city, and people as a whole? I don' think there is a better big city in America. That  just my opinion..

Oh, and Go Romeo.....choose IU!

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Chicago is not a terrible place, and anywhere you'd go to visit is just as safe as anywhere you'd go in downtown Indianapolis.

Nice post , Rogue. I married a “Region Rat” (also IU alum), and have thus become familiar with the area, mainly Lake County. Lots of tradition and history in that area, and great food traditions specifically. In fact your post is making me hungry, lol.  Being originally from the Indy area, I love “my city” of Indianapolis. But I love visiting Chicago. 

Mr. Stoller and I sometimes refer to Fishers as a mini-region with the additions of Aurelio’s pizza and Portillo's (Mr. Stoller was very excited when Portillo’s opened!). Maybe a road trip is in my near future for lunch... :) 

[You're in Westfield, which has experienced tremendous growth the past 20 years. Have you come across Little Chicago Road yet?]

Go Hoosiers!

10 hours ago, INDenizen said:

I asked the question but I have no idea of the answer. There are a lot of different variables one could play with to come up with a variety of answers it seems. I originally was just wondering about 13 players taking 5 spots but not that they had to occupy a certain position. Like Green would not have to be factored in playing the 1,2,3,4&5. Just him with the other 12 players in different variations, etc. 

I'm not a math guy so I give up pretty easy. 

I will take a crack at it.

13 guys for 5 spots.  So if I remember my probability classes right it would be..........

13x12x11x10x9=154,440 combinations.

1 hour ago, MrsStoller said:

Nice post , Rogue. I married a “Region Rat” (also IU alum), and have thus become familiar with the area, mainly Lake County. Lots of tradition and history in that area, and great food traditions specifically. In fact your post is making me hungry, lol.  Being originally from the Indy area, I love “my city” of Indianapolis. But I love visiting Chicago. 

Mr. Stoller and I sometimes refer to Fishers as a mini-region with the additions of Aurelio’s pizza and Portillo's (Mr. Stoller was very excited when Portillo’s opened!). Maybe a road trip is in my near future for lunch... :) 

[You're in Westfield, which has experienced tremendous growth the past 20 years. Have you come across Little Chicago Road yet?]

Go Hoosiers!

Oh Chicago pizza, Gino’s East, and so many great pizza spots. 

Houston, for some reason that eludes me — as a city touting its food and restaurant culture — can’t make pizza! And I’m a pizza guy, I mean Mother Bears was like a second home.

So I love Chicago as a city, and for its 🍕 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh Chicago pizza, Gino’s East, and so many great pizza spots. 

Houston, for some reason that eludes me — as a city touting its food and restaurant culture — can’t make pizza! And I’m a pizza guy, I mean Mother Bears was like a second home.

So I love Chicago as a city, and for its 🍕 

Gino’s East was where Mr. Stoller took me for my first Chicago pizza experience! Great pizza.

36 minutes ago, rico said:

I will take a crack at it.

13 guys for 5 spots.  So if I remember my probability classes right it would be..........

13x12x11x10x9=154,440 combinations.

Since Romeo might be reading this, and because he took PreCalc as a Junior(don't know what he did this year), I will say this:  Your thinking is sound if you want permutations.  I am sure that we could agree that a line up of Langford, Morgan, Smith, Green and Durham is the same as a line up of Durham, Smith, Green, Morgan and Langford.  Since order doesn't matter, we have to divide your number by the number of possible ways to put 5 players in order.  Thus, 154,440 should be divided by 5!, giving us 1287 different combinations.  Now if we thinking starting Green at the 5 instead of the 2 makes for a unique line-up, then your number is spot on.  I bet they aren't talking about this on the Vandy board.

1 hour ago, MrsStoller said:

Go Hoosiers!

We live fairly close to Little Chicago Road, but I have no idea how it got that name.  I really miss the food from The Region!  There's some okay pizza places here, but everywhere you turn in Northwest Indiana, there's a great place!  My favorite's are Beggar's, Zuni's, and Villa Pizza in Griffith. 

Two other great institutions I'd like to see move south are Schoop's and any type of Round the Clock.  Growing up I assumed they existed everywhere, but honestly I haven't seen any anywhere else in Indiana, or anywhere else in general for that matter.  

I am 37 yrs old and have been an IU fan my whole life. The teams I first started really connecting to and following closely were the Cheaney years.

One thing that I have appreciated about Archie Miller as a coach has been the largely positive offseasons! Last year he did great work to keep the incoming class and the returning team together. This year he has set us up for some possibly very positive recruiting news.

The offseason is long and we are waiting on Morgan to decide, but it is so nice to be spending all our time waiting for bad news in the off-season. 

Seemed like my whole childhood was hearing about which of my favorite players was transferring, or which recruit we were missing out on or what coach was being fired.

Archie is nothing if not steady.

Archived