Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"PAGE: I think New Albany High is the only place Romeo would make his decision and sign. He is New Albany. He is such an important figure in that community, and he should have his time with his people in that place. I don’t think the college he will choose had any sway on where the ceremony would be held. I don’t see a relation between the location and the decision." 

His answer completely misses the point.  Being OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, not at the school, is why IU fans are optimistic. 

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Some on here say he is not a 1 and done but the guys in the article seem to think he is for sure 1 and done....could that be why cam is going after the 19 class hard...hmmm

I think 5fouls is the only one to say maybe not one and done. I think a lot would have to go right for him to stay more than one year. imo.

14 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Some on here say he is not a 1 and done but the guys in the article seem to think he is for sure 1 and done....could that be why cam is going after the 19 class hard...hmmm

There are always those rare exceptions, guys that could've been one and done and been a lottery pick, but still decided to come back for a second year.  It's extremely rare though.  I'd say 95% he's one and done. 

By staying an extra year that's one less year of prime earning potential he'd have.  For a guy like Victor Oladipo that's about $21,000,000.  Romeo would have to really love college to play 2 years.

5 hours ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

What gets me is the KU fans saying that if Romeo chooses IU it's only because he was pressured to stay home,  as if there's no other reason why he'd pick IU over Kansas.  Their arrogance,  and ignorance,  knows no bounds.

Not so fast, Let’s all REWIND to couple months ago before ALL this positivity took place & ask yourself if RL was coming to IU?  It was a LONG shot & why was this so?  Because RL said or did NOTHING to give Hoosier Nation any hope that he was staying home which raises many questions as to what ALL OF A SUDDEN changed?  If he was a true HOOSIER from the start, there be no questions along the way BUT that was not the case so ease up on the notion that RL DID have a change of heart for WHATEVER reason that be a business decision or whatever but it did happen!  I’m just glad it worked out for us HOOSIERS no matter how it went down but let’s be humble & acknowledge our Savior didnt always have Indiana as #1 option.  Go Hoosiers

48 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Not so fast, Let’s all REWIND to couple months ago before ALL this positivity took place & ask yourself if RL was coming to IU?  It was a LONG shot & why was this so?  Because RL said or did NOTHING to give Hoosier Nation any hope that he was staying home which raises many questions as to what ALL OF A SUDDEN changed?  If he was a true HOOSIER from the start, there be no questions along the way BUT that was not the case so ease up on the notion that RL DID have a change of heart for WHATEVER reason that be a business decision or whatever but it did happen!  I’m just glad it worked out for us HOOSIERS no matter how it went down but let’s be humble & acknowledge our Savior didnt always have Indiana as #1 option.  Go Hoosiers

Truth be told, the Langfords have played this recruitment so close to the vest, and always said the right things in interviews, that there has been no indication that Romeo has been leaning towards any school.

57 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I will hold nothing against him wherever he chooses.  If he chooses IU, even better.  I will not suffer a recruiting win.

As for being a savior for the program, I do not see anyone fitting that description.  There are some key people in the program or that have been doing much for IU basketball (think VO, CAM, or even CTC) but I would not say there is one individual savior, past, present or future, the program and history is too big for that.

1 hour ago, BornHoosier said:

Your memory is quite a bit different than mine.  If you look back at the crystal ball timeline, IU was anything BUT a long shot two months ago.  In fact, going back to last October, IU has never been anything less than a co-favorite among the "experts".  I don't know where you are getting this alternative version of reality (maybe the Vandy fan forums?), but all I remember was a lot of conflicting signals about who was actually leading.  I have no recollection going back six months of IU being a long shot among most reasonable and unbiased minds.  No question, March of 2017, IU was a long shot at best, but that's old news and certainly older than two months.

I'm sure at different points in the recruitment, Romeo has had a change of heart, but none of us are mind readers to know when certain schools were leading in his mind.  How long has Romeo been leaning toward his current choice?  I'm guessing only his closest family really has any idea where he's been during the recruitment, but I believe IU has been a significant player a lot longer than two months.

...and as much as Romeo would mean to the trajectory of the program, he would likely laugh at the notion of being a savior to the program.  This program is bigger than a single recruit no matter how talented.  A player like Romeo is a big piece of the puzzle, but he's still a piece of something bigger.

45 minutes ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

Truth be told, the Langfords have played this recruitment so close to the vest, and always said the right things in interviews, that there has been no indication that Romeo has been leaning towards any school.

Very true but even the Pro IU “Insiders” & many more just recently flipped their pick so I’m not the only one who thought doom & gloom.  Glad it’s trending in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Your memory is quite a bit different than mine.  If you look back at the crystal ball timeline, IU was anything BUT a long shot two months ago.  In fact, going back to last October, IU has never been anything less than a co-favorite among the "experts".  I don't know where you are getting this alternative version of reality (maybe the Vandy fan forums?), but all I remember was a lot of conflicting signals about who was actually leading.  I have no recollection going back six months of IU being a long shot among most reasonable and unbiased minds.  No question, March of 2017, IU was a long shot at best, but that's old news and certainly older than two months.

I'm sure at different points in the recruitment, Romeo has had a change of heart, but none of us are mind readers to know when certain schools were leading in his mind.  How long has Romeo been leaning toward his current choice?  I'm guessing only his closest family really has any idea where he's been during the recruitment, but I believe IU has been a significant player a lot longer than two months.

...and as much as Romeo would mean to the trajectory of the program, he would likely laugh at the notion of being a savior to the program.  This program is bigger than a single recruit no matter how talented.  A player like Romeo is a big piece of the puzzle, but he's still a piece of something bigger.

Maybe it was the glass half empty in me or the glass half full in you but I know what I felt not too long ago & all signs pointed to Vandy to play with that punk DG.  Your opinions are not gonna change what I felt but I 100% agree none of us know for certain how the recruitment really went down but at the end of the day as long as he dons Candy Stripes nothing else matters.  IU hasn’t won a NC in over 30 yrs & RL is a once in a generational instate player so how is he not a Savior to this Program? Do you picture IU winning a NC w/o him anytime soon?  30 yrs my friend, 30 yrs so no better time than the present!  

6 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Maybe it was the glass half empty in me or the glass half full in you but I know what I felt not too long ago & all signs pointed to Vandy to play with that punk DG.  Your opinions are not gonna change what I felt but I 100% agree none of us know for certain how the recruitment really went down but at the end of the day as long as he dons Candy Stripes nothing else matters.  IU hasn’t won a NC in over 30 yrs & RL is a once in a generational instate player so how is he not a Savior to this Program? Do you picture IU winning a NC w/o him anytime soon?  30 yrs my friend, 30 yrs so no better time than the present!  

I'm looking forward to seeing IU back in the mix for national championships, but it takes a lot more than a talented freshman to make that happen.  Vanderbilt is going to figure that out real soon.  My reason for optimism is a combination of the possibility of adding Romeo, along with a skilled and experienced senior and a promising supporting cast.  If it's all on Romeo, we're gonna look like Trey Young and Oklahoma.

Obviously, I was more optimistic than you were a couple of months ago, but I wasn't alone in that mindset. I heard many of the same rumors you did, but what I genuinely recall is a lot of up and down cycles where the consensus was more bullish, then more bearish, then more bullish, etc.  I haven't felt like IU was a long shot since back before Romeo's October campus visit. Ever since then, I've felt like IU was a genuine contender and I had a lot of company, including numerous crystal ball players.  True, IU has gone from 40% to 70%+ during that time frame, but I don't remember the consensus being that IU was a long shot, even though you and others in this forum personally felt that way. At most, opinions were mixed.

34 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

There’s a lot of positive posters on this board. I didn’t take it seriously either but if you stick around here you’ll see that there’s substance and reason to their positivity. I’m with you though...a few months ago every IU fan that I know had him going elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

There’s a lot of positive posters on this board. I didn’t take it seriously either but if you stick around here you’ll see that there’s substance and reason to their positivity. I’m with you though...a few months ago every IU fan that I know had him going elsewhere. 

You are running in the wrong circles...LOL...the positive people are a lot more fun!

Archived