Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Appreciate the local take, Rev!  

Fellow forum members, I'm dead serious when I say this has been a really fun ride. I absolutely want to See Romeo blowing the roof off of Assembly Hall next year and yes, I'll be disappointed if he chooses to go elsewhere, but I absolutely love what I see at IU.  A team that is on a strong trajectory regardless of Monday's decision.  I think he's coming despite the last-minute intrigue but it absolutely makes the announcement that much more interesting.

Will I toss Romeo out like yesterday's garbage if he makes a decision to play at Kansas?  No.  He's done enough in his community to deserve my respect regardless, but at the same time, will he mean even a tenth as much to the state of Indiana if he plays out of state?  Unlikely.  I'll be mildly interested when I happen to see him play in the future, but he'll be very much like Gary Harris...a talented Indiana kid that went elsewhere and is largely forgotten today as a result.  Without looking, I can't even tell you who Gary plays for now and I have no real interest in watching his team.  Conversely, I actually watched Vic play on all three of his teams. Not religiously, but I was interested enough to keep track of him.  Vic wasn't even a native Hoosier.  Imagine the attraction of an Indiana kid with the talent Romeo has, playing for an Indiana school?  That brings back images of Larry Bird and Damon Bailey and the level of interest they generated in Indiana.  That's why I think he picks Indiana.  Assuming he performs as expected, he's a lotto pick at either school.  At Kansas, he's just another Oden, Hafrris or Conley.  At Indiana, he's a legend for life.  That means something after his pro days are over.  Ask Bird or Bailey (who never even stuck at the pro level).

I Romeo chooses elsewhere I will not follow his career or care how he does.  Like I have said many times I root for the name on the front of the jersey and not the name on the back of it.  He seems like a great kid and don't want anything bad for him but I will just not have interest in his basketball career.

My thinking is that nothing really has changed the last few days because no one really knows anything so I will stay confident that Romeo will choose IU.  Until some of the top experts start changing their picks I will be confident that Romeo will be a Hoosier. Might not be as confident as I was 48 hours ago but what has really changed in those two days.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Just a thought on my part.... relative to Romeo's comment about not wanting to alienate his NA fans.  Perhaps he was referring to NA people who are Vandy fans rather than IU fans.  As I say... just a thought.  May not hold water. Just seems to me that being close to Vandy... there may be a few Vandy fans in NA.

I think that would be an extremely small number.

12 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Still trying to figure out this leak. The only thing that really makes a lot of sense is Sean East coming (like others have guessed) and of course that would ruin it. 

Yeah who said anything about a leak?  Mile said he had something for us tomorrow but he won't be breaking any news.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah who said anything about a leak?  Mile said he had something for us tomorrow but he won't be breaking any news.

Yes. Please HSN.  Don't conflate what I plan to publish Sunday evening with a leak.  Although I was concerned that the recent breakup might cause a leak.  What I plan to bring, short of a leak, is for fun only.... one day before the B1G reveal. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

And Sean May could have become an IU legend.... just like his dad.  Now he's just an after thought.  Yes... I know, his dad had a lot to do with Sean going to UNC, instead of IU.  In Romeo's case, whatever the outcome... Different coaches, and different times, now.  I  just hope Romeo's choice comes solely from his heart, rather than his dad's.  I want players that truly want to wear the Candy Strips, if even only for 10 months.... and not because their dad wanted them to don the Candy Stripes.

I'm fairly certain that Romeo will not ever be an afterthought in the city of New Albany and the surrounding communities.  Rest assured that whenever he goes pro, his NBA jersey will be the best selling one in the area, regardless of whether he goes to IU, Kansas, or Montana State.  

Will the community be disappointed if he does not choose IU?  Absolutely.  But, the young man means to much to the community for them to turn their back on him should he choose to play his college ball elsewhere.

Archived