Romeo Langford

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Old school for sure. Did you have to reverse your jacket to post that? 😀I had to in order to reply.  I wish I could be a true blue fan like  others on here. 

LOL....I imagine a lot on here have no idea what I am talking about.  But Romeo sitting on the bench and puking reminded me of Montana's performance in that Cotton Bowl.  And that shows a lot of moxie for Romeo.

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL....I imagine a lot on here have no idea what I am talking about.  But Romeo sitting on the bench and puking reminded me of Montana's performance in that Cotton Bowl.  And that shows a lot of moxie for Romeo.

Yes it does. Joe was chilled to the bone and had ice water in his veins that day literally and figuratively. 

18 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Knight really figured out how to push Landon's button to get him straightened out.  Still love hearing Coach talk about Landon and the Celtics 

That was a hell of a gesture on Red Auerbach's part.

And Landon is definitely on IU's "What If...." Mount Rushmore, along with May's forearm and Henderson's knee. 

14 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'll say one thing about Romeo last night...Anyone who doesn't think he's one tough hombre, after getting his shoulder driven into the ground, throwing up at the half, getting a bloody lip (and making a pair of FTs right after), and being hatcheted by the PU Goon squad all night and still having good numbers (especially the tough rebounding), is in a word, wrong.

This is spot on.  The lazy narrative is so tired.

15 minutes ago, Inequality said:

The comments about Romeo, if most scouts have the same opinion, cements the idea that he is gone at the end of the year.

As valid as those comments are, I find the scout's take that other than Juwan, the rest of the roster would be subs on any good B!G team to be illuminating and reinforces the idea that this rebuild is real, and as much as people complain about this year, we just don't have the talent to compete.

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The comments about Romeo, if most scouts have the same opinion, cements the idea that he is gone at the end of the year.

As valid as those comments are, I find the scout's take that other than Juwan, the rest of the roster would be subs on any good B!G team to be illuminating and reinforces the idea that this rebuild is real, and as much as people complain about this year, we just don't have the talent to compete.

I had the same takeaways from the article. It was consoling to hear that our team isn't as talented as some people would try to have us believe, which in turn illustrates that Archie didn't become a terrible coach this year that some are trying to sell now.

As much as I'd like to see him stick around for another year to see what happens, at this point IUMBB might be best served by Romeo going in the lottery this year. The grinder that this kid has been put through this year and he still comes out making lottery money? Has to be attractive to future recruits that will likely not face nearly the pressures or crap season that Romeo endured this year. Just a thought. 

44 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Scout comments on Romeo and the Team needs it own thread.

5 minutes ago, BEKA said:

As much as I'd like to see him stick around for another year to see what happens, at this point IUMBB might be best served by Romeo going in the lottery this year. The grinder that this kid has been put through this year and he still comes out making lottery money? Has to be attractive to future recruits that will likely not face nearly the pressures or crap season that Romeo endured this year. Just a thought. 

Oh he's gone. He doesnt want another year of this. I hope someone learns to score before next season or it's more of the same.

23 hours ago, Indykev said:

Oh he's gone. He doesnt want another year of this. I hope someone learns to score before next season or it's more of the same.

Agreed that he is gone.  This cluster of a season was the worst thing that could happen in order to keep Romeo a second year.  

A tournament team that gets along with each other, but falls short of the Final Four and Romeo considers staying.  This?  He's gone.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed that he is gone.  This cluster of a season was the worst thing that could happen in order to keep Romeo a second year.  

A tournament team that gets along with each other, but falls short of the Final Four and Romeo considers staying.  This?  He's gone.

Perhaps he is waiting for TJD and KBJ to arrive?

Captain obvious reporting here this morning but i was wonderimg what everyone's shooting percentages were in conference.  Romeo is the only player to improve from 3 which isn't saying a lot because he was shooting in the 20s pre conference.  2 pt % is down 6%

Al has found his level, Juwan, way down, is just forcing from three and no longer playing within himself.  Rob is way down.  

This is in conference found on https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2019.html

Screenshot_20190224-091337.png

Going into the season we felt we'd added a big piece that was lacking - a 3-pt shooter in Fitzner.  Even the players pointed to him in pre-season as our best shooter from beyond the arc.  Now with the season winding down, he's statistically the worst (except McRoberts).  We can't afford such bad misses on players in the future.  Especially players expected to contribute immediatedy.

A transfer, fifth year senior, or juco player are valid options but we can't be screwing up this badly going forward.

9 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Going into the season we felt we'd added a big piece that was lacking - a 3-pt shooter in Fitzner.  Even the players pointed to him in pre-season as our best shooter from beyond the arc.  Now with the season winding down, he's statistically the worst (except McRoberts).  We can't afford such bad misses on players in the future.  Especially players expected to contribute immediatedy.

A transfer, fifth year senior, or juco player are valid options but we can't be screwing up this badly going forward.

I was thinking about this during the Iowa game. What we saw that night and against Marquette is clearly what Archie and staff were expecting on a consistent level from Fitz this year, and I suppose understandably based on how he did at St Mary’s. I just wonder how much we blame him for “missing” on Fitz vs him just playing like a completely different player here. Archie obviously knew we needed shooting and he tried to fill that void but it didn’t work out in this case. It’s got to be very frustrating for the staff. Clearly plenty of other issues this year but just thinking about this one example. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Captain obvious reporting here this morning but i was wonderimg what everyone's shooting percentages were in conference.  Romeo is the only player to improve from 3 which isn't saying a lot because he was shooting in the 20s pre conference.  2 pt % is down 6%

Al has found his level, Juwan, way down, is just forcing from three and no longer playing within himself.  Rob is way down.  

This is in conference found on https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/indiana/2019.html

Screenshot_20190224-091337.png

Yep, Romeo improving, Al shooting decently, but a team badly needing shooting. Looking more and more like the Vonleh team. 

4 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Upon further inspect, @IU Scott is going to loath this, but 2 of our 4 main guards are shooting an abysmal 32% Rob and 30% DG from 2 pt field goals.  No mid range game is hurting these little guys as bad as horrible 3 pt shooting.  

What mid range game because most of those misses are on drives to the basket and not 12-15 foot open shots.

On 2/22/2019 at 2:16 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

There may be some truth to it, but we have a roster that’s better than losing 12 out of 13 no matter how you slice it.  I like and support Archie.  But, we have to face reality that this was a big jump for him, and we are seeing some OJT.  

We can accept all that and then hope the OJT is taking a hold and he’s absorbing it all and not deflecting and denying as other coaches we have had did to spectacular mediocrity.  You knew those coaches wouldn’t improve since they denied the problem.  A little humility can go a long way towards improving your craft, regardless of field, if it’s channeled effectively and productively.

The best possible outcome by far is that Archie develops and becomes the guy we think he can be.  If he busts, then this would get to be a really tough spot.  

We could take item by item of Fred Glass’ tenure, and take the position that the positives were fairly obvious that any AD could fall into, given obvious needs and B1G windfall money.  But, budgeting for second tier capital expenses to the detriment of coaches salaries will ultimately be something he won’t survive unless his purported “up and coming” move for Messrs. Allen and Miller work out big time. It’s a risk to go that way instead of paying up like Purdue has.  At the end of the day, he may have gotten a new volleyball center done, but didn’t shell out big bucks for a high end coach.   It’s not that you have low salaries and so you should pay Allen more.  Allen is paid what the market says he should be paid.  The issue more appropriately and precisely is whether he should have hired a coach at a higher level who warrants a huge salary.  And Fred knows all this.  He’s staked his tenure and legacy on it.

We will know one way or another by April 2021 where we are.  If we took the plotline from It’s a Wonderful Life and had a world where Fred Glass was never AD here in favor of competent, sports oriented leadership, we could potentially be in a much better spot in athletics. 

This may seem like a tangent but it all relates back to how we got here and where we are going. 

21 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Someone mentioned it in another thread the other day. Romeo is this years version of Noah Vonleh. Both had/have holes in their game.  Both have/will work on their defects, while getting paid to fix them

One difference- Vonleh sat himself to help his stock.  Romeo has played the most minutes on the team.  Furthermore, the kid plays D.  

Romeo has already shown improvment with his range.  He is now a left hand handle away.  

Archived