Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BGleas said:

With that said, he does have weaknesses in his game that he needs to work on, as all players do. Most of his weaknesses (perimeter shooting, ball handling, left hand, etc.) I do think would improve quicker in the NBA. But, there is one weakness that I think it would serve him well to return to school and showcase improvement next season. I think he could use work on his leadership and let's call it "Mamba Mentality". He sometimes takes a back seat or disappears, etc., and to truely be great in the NBA you almost have to have that edge/grit to rise up when your team needs it most. We're talking the difference between really, really good and great. 

I think if Langford came back with a more consistent jumper, better left hand, but most importantly had a season where he was a true leader, was dominant, and had an AA/Big Ten POY type season where he really led the team, that he could work his way into a top 5 or maybe even top 3 pick. There is a big difference in money between 10 and 3. 

This is all coming from someone who typically believes going to the NBA is the better option for improvement. But, I just don't think he can work on the "Mamba Mentality" in the NBA as a rookie. 

This is the best reason I've seen for him staying. But, from what we know of Romeo, he's apparently a really nice kid, so it's entirely possible that he doesn't have that in him. Jordan and Kobe were actually kind of a-holes, which is what truly drove them to be the greatest in the sport. I just don't know that Romeo has that in him, and that's fine - he can still be a terrific player without that. Hell, his name's Romeo for chrissake - how mean can he be?

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

This is the best reason I've seen for him staying. But, from what we know of Romeo, he's apparently a really nice kid, so it's entirely possible that he doesn't have that in him. Jordan and Kobe were actually kind of a-holes, which is what truly drove them to be the greatest in the sport. I just don't know that Romeo has that in him, and that's fine - he can still be a terrific player without that. Hell, his name's Romeo for chrissake - how mean can he be?

It's a switch some can flip on and off. By all accounts, Peyton Manning is a goofball off the field, but wouldn't hesitate to chew some posterior if you missed a signal at the line.

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

It's a switch some can flip on and off. By all accounts, Peyton Manning is a goofball off the field, but wouldn't hesitate to chew some posterior if you missed a signal at the line.

Well, I think there's a difference between being a leader like that, where you have to get on someone's ass now and then, and the hyper, over the top competitive nature of someone like Jordan. I've read stories about him gambling on pretty much anything, and belittling those who would pass on the offer. Even when he was on a bad Wizards team at the end, he played every game like it was game 7, and it seems he went way beyond a normal level of competitiveness in everything he did. 

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Agree. But you can be nice and quiet and still be a killer on the court. Ray Allen is a guy that on the court was pretty quiet, not demonstrative, and even laid back in his demeanor, but at the same time he would rip your throat out when it mattered.  

I would never expect Langford to be a demonstrative, in your face leader, that’s just not his personality which is completely fine, but you can still be a guy that takes over a game when it matters most. 

He has done it at times, but again I just think the only really way coming back could benefit him is to come back and show this consistently and have a monster sophomore year. I think he’s capable of it and that it would vault him to top 3-5. It’s a huge risk, but kind of one of those gamble on yourself type of things if you dream is to be a top pick. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Agree. But you can be nice and quiet and still be a killer on the court. Ray Allen is a guy that on the court was pretty quiet, not demonstrative, and even laid back in his demeanor, but at the same time he would rip your throat out when it mattered.  

I would never expect Langford to be a demonstrative, in your face leader, that’s just not his personality which is completely fine, but you can still be a guy that takes over a game when it matters most. 

He has done it at times, but again I just think the only really way coming back could benefit him is to come back and show this consistently and have a monster sophomore year. I think he’s capable of it and that it would vault him to top 3-5. It’s a huge risk, but kind of one of those gamble on yourself type of things if you dream is to be a top pick. 

I like the Ray Allen comment but I will go one better, Tim Duncan.  

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

8 hours ago, rico said:

I like the Ray Allen comment but I will go one better, Tim Duncan.  

Well, some of Ray Allen's fire came from being picked on as a kid for his accent, at least according to his Wiki. Duncan is a great example on the opposite side, though. In the end, I guess my point is that Romeo just might not have it in him at all, and another year in college won't help if that's the case. I don't know if that's something that can really be taught/coached, either, at least not this late. Seems to be something that's either in you innately, or is brought on by things that happen early in life.

But, hey, I'll take another year of Romeo if he wants to try.

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Big question as back issues flared up.... will we ever see Romeo in Candy Stripes again ?   This weekend or next year ? 

He's been getting better. However playing on Saturday, remained a question mark as of Wednesday night.

I'd say that both have yet to be determined.

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Well, some of Ray Allen's fire came from being picked on as a kid for his accent, at least according to his Wiki. Duncan is a great example on the opposite side, though. In the end, I guess my point is that Romeo just might not have it in him at all, and another year in college won't help if that's the case. I don't know if that's something that can really be taught/coached, either, at least not this late. Seems to be something that's either in you innately, or is brought on by things that happen early in life.

But, hey, I'll take another year of Romeo if he wants to try.

The NBA needs both kinds too. Guys like Magic or LeBron are teachers, facilitators. They'd work almost as a second coach. Bird, Jordan and Kobe would teach you by kicking your *** six ways from Sunday and enjoy doing it. Undoubtedly 5 of the absolute best ever, two vastly different approaches/personalities.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:20 AM, dwtaylor1055 said:

Depends how greedy someone wants to be

I don't see it as greed if someone takes an opportunity to make a life (and family) altering decision which doesn't hurt anything except the feelings of a bunch of sports fans. Who knew he was gonna do it anyway. Plus, I assume he doesn't get Cody Coverage--I'm guessing his family can't afford the premium for an insurance contract to pay off if he gets injured. Not greed, imo.

2 minutes ago, Mac said:

I don't see it as greed if someone takes a chance to make a life (and family) altering decision which doesn't hurt anything except the feelings of a bunch of sports fans. Who knew he was gonna do it anyway. Plus, I assume he doesn't get Cody Coverage--I'm guessing his family can't afford the premium for an insurance contract to pay off if he gets injured. Not greed, imo.

Hmm.  I had totally forgotten about getting an insurance policy against injury impacting future injuries.  I am glad you brought that up.  Knowing that Romeo, currently is day to day because of his back.... I wonder two things... has the family bought the insurance.... or can they buy some now ? 

15 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Hmm.  I had totally forgotten about getting an insurance policy against injury impacting future injuries.  I am glad you brought that up.  Knowing that Romeo, currently is day to day because of his back.... I wonder two things... has the family bought the insurance.... or can they buy some now ? 

Even if they could, could they? The premium has to be astronomical.

An old story and football instead of basketball but it says $8000 per million.  Risk in football is much higher.  I think I heard Zion has a $10 million policy.  That's low considering he will probably sign the largest rookie shoe contract ever in 3 weeks.  He'll be getting Zonzo ball numbers here soon.  😂

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/leonard-fournettes-10m-policies-and-the-unregulated-world-of-player-protection/

On 3/20/2019 at 7:40 PM, AxnJxn said:

Agreed. I don't think he has it in him, but he certainly could be more aggressive, more of the time. Watching Ja Morant yesterday provides a good example, he's called a Russell Westbrook w/o the negatives (attitude, out-of-control, takes too many shots, turnovers, etc.) some of which are due to his hyper-competitiveness like Kobe/MJ. Ja Morant still plays the entire game more "aggressively" than Romeo without the appearance of it. I'd love to see Romeo be more like that, without taking it to Kobe/MJ/Westbrook levels of becoming a jerk/something he's not.

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So do we have a good feel for the odds that Romeo plays tomorrow?  I am assuming no as I am in the camp that believes it has as much to do with him not playing because it's the NIT and "not worth risking injury" as it does an actual injury.  

We should know this afternoon when Archie talks to the press. The extra days off will help. If he says game time decision, that means no.

One thing that IS hurting Romeo right now, is other projected 1st round talent that IS playing in the Big Dance are improving their play and moving up the boards with all eyes on them in the national spotlight while Romeo isn't playing.  Guys playing in the big dance that are projected in the top 10 not including Romeo:

Zion Williamson, Ja Morant, RJ Barrett, Coby White, De'Andre Hunter, Jarrett Culver, Cam Reddish, Rui Hachimura, Brandon Clarke.  Those 9 IMO could go ahead of Romeo.  You can make an arguement that Center Bol Bol(Oregon), Center Jaxson Hayes(Texas) and SG Kevin Porter JR(USC) could go higher than Romeo and they aren't in the big dance.  If this was to happen, that puts Romeo as low as 13 so almost out of the Lottery possibly.  I did not include any of the Kentucky guys(Keldon Johnson, Tyler Herro) or Darius Garland as I have seen him as high as a top 10 pick. 

If he leaves for the draft, my guess is he would go between 9 and 14.  He COULD be on the fringe of falling out of the lottery.  If Romeo plays in the NIT it will slightly help his case.  If Romeo wants to leap frog any of the 9 guys that are playing in the big dance right now and possibly Bol Bol/Hayes or Porter JR, he will need one hell of a workout session in front of the NBA scouts.

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If he says game time decision, that means no.

Archie played that card vs Michigan State with DeRon.  And Izzo bought it, hook, line and sinker. 

That'll be in the back of Arkansas' mind regardless of whether Romeo plays or not. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I'm sure a loan could be gotten to cover that amount and pay it off with first rookie contract. monthly payment wouldnt be that bad.

They likely would defer payment especially if a player was less than a year from their first contract.

Duke freshman Zion Williamson has a loss of value insurance policy that he could collect if he were to fall past the No. 16 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, according to The Action Network's Darren Rovell.

The policy, according to the report, is worth $8 million. It was issued and written by ISI (International Specialty Insurance), and paid for by Duke -- all allowable within NCAA's rulebook.

Link

I would guess that Romeo already has one of these.

Archived