Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Not only can kids hire an agent without losing eligibility (both while in high school and college).....they can actually be in the draft....and if they aren't drafted can go back to school:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

Knew the part about not being drafted and coming back. I think it was Randolph Morris from UK a few years ago had that happen.

3 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Not only can kids hire an agent without losing eligibility (both while in high school and college).....they can actually be in the draft....and if they aren't drafted can go back to school:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/flexibility-going-pro-and-getting-degree

Tried to read this, but with the amount of liquid courage it wasn't happening! Seems like I remember this as being just for the very few that some entity chose as being elite and exempt! Correct me please!

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I think if he puts his name into the draft I think he hires an agent and go.  I just don't see him going through the process to see what his stock is and then come back.  I say he will announce  he is staying or going all in on the draft.

I'll take the other side of that bet.  I feel pretty confident he'll keep his options open until he hears what the NBA execs have to say.

21 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Tried to read this, but with the amount of liquid courage it wasn't happening! Seems like I remember this as being just for the very few that some entity chose as being elite and exempt! Correct me please!

Nah....basically anyone that merits a NBA evaluation....which is a pretty wide net. 

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I seriously doubt this was Southern Wisconsin! Not many snow covered peaks in Southern Wisconsin

This is totally Wisconsin.  The background "mountains" are what all our parking lots look like when we push the snow into giant piles.  I've had bigger than this at the end of my driveway.

The guy is fishing in a pothole, not a lake or river.

Looks like he's in the 12-16 range on the two mock drafts that that have been updated in the last week or so. 9/10 I advocate for leaving but he's a perfect candidate to come back. I don't see how he could possibly fall further and I think that injury did a number on his shooting. He'll recoup that money easily if he can get into the 8 and under range the next season so it makes a lot of sense for him to gamble and turn down the money. 

I've heard that he's enjoying college life and I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun playing with Trayce. 

Call it 30/70 for me but I think there's a good chance. 

6 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

Looks like he's in the 12-16 range on the two mock drafts that that have been updated in the last week or so. 9/10 I advocate for leaving but he's a perfect candidate to come back. I don't see how he could possibly fall further and I think that injury did a number on his shooting. He'll recoup that money easily if he can get into the 8 and under range the next season so it makes a lot of sense for him to gamble and turn down the money. 

I've heard that he's enjoying college life and I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun playing with Trayce. 

I don't think it really does make much sense. He'll push that second contract back another year, which is where the big money comes (and what most people keep missing in this conversation). Assuming he plays well during the first NBA contract, he'll lose $10-15 million by staying in school another year, which won't quite make up the difference in improving his draft status by a handful of spots, which should net him another $7-8 million or so - that's the difference going from 12-14 to 3-5 in the draft on the rookie contract. That also depends on teams picking up the option on year 3 and 4, too. Best example I can think of off the top of my head is Oladipo, who's making ~$20 million/year on his second contract, which is a good $15 million higher than his rookie deal/year. 

8 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I don't think it really does make much sense. He'll push that second contract back another year, which is where the big money comes (and what most people keep missing in this conversation). Assuming he plays well during the first NBA contract, he'll lose $10-15 million by staying in school another year, which won't quite make up the difference in improving his draft status by a handful of spots, which should net him another $7-8 million or so - that's the difference going from 12-14 to 3-5 in the draft on the rookie contract. That also depends on teams picking up the option on year 3 and 4, too. Best example I can think of off the top of my head is Oladipo, who's making ~$20 million/year on his second contract, which is a good $15 million higher than his rookie deal/year. 

Good point about the 2nd contract, and I agree many people don't account for it in their analysis. On the flip side, leaving now he could end up like James Young and not get a 2nd contract, whereas staying might put him in a better situation (drafted by a team with better fit, improving his game, etc.), put him in a worse situation (injury, worse performance causing significant fall down the board, drafted by a team with worse fit, etc.), or not change his situation much at all (where the 2nd contract point you made is most significant). 

Basically, it's all a crap shoot, and it would be hard for anyone to turn down that kind of money/opportunity, which I think makes it all the more impressive if he does decide to return, but if he leaves completely understandable.

6 hours ago, JWoolsey said:

You didn't link the mock drafts you are referring to.  Did either include the Euro players that don't seem to be part of the early forecasts, but always are identified and could possibly push kids farther down the board?

25 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Good point about the 2nd contract, and I agree many people don't account for it in their analysis. On the flip side, leaving now he could end up like James Young and not get a 2nd contract, whereas staying might put him in a better situation (drafted by a team with better fit, improving his game, etc.), put him in a worse situation (injury, worse performance causing significant fall down the board, drafted by a team with worse fit, etc.), or not change his situation much at all (where the 2nd contract point you made is most significant). 

Basically, it's all a crap shoot, and it would be hard for anyone to turn down that kind of money/opportunity, which I think makes it all the more impressive if he does decide to return, but if he leaves completely understandable.

Yeah, there's a real range of teams in that 10-15 area of the draft, so a complete mystery as to what sort of situation he could end up in. I mean, I could understand if he wants to come back for other reasons, but he'll end up with less money if he does.

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You didn't link the mock drafts you are referring to.  Did either include the Euro players that don't seem to be part of the early forecasts, but always are identified and could possibly push kids farther down the board?

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828933-2019-nba-mock-draft-predictions-for-intriguing-prospects-ahead-of-final-four

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-mock-draft-50-how-will-march-madness-impact-draft#slide-13

I just did a rough search to get a feel for where he was at the moment. I'm not sure if they've included Euros or others but I'm assuming the ones that will be released soon will have them if they aren't already.

4 minutes ago, JWoolsey said:

https://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828933-2019-nba-mock-draft-predictions-for-intriguing-prospects-ahead-of-final-four

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-mock-draft-50-how-will-march-madness-impact-draft#slide-13

I just did a rough search to get a feel for where he was at the moment. I'm not sure if they've included Euros or others but I'm assuming the ones that will be released soon will have them if they aren't already.

Looks like some Euro players are mentioned, but either it is a down year for them as they are scarce, or they haven't been fully  identified.

32 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Delaying the 2nd contract isn't the point everyone overlooks. THIS is the point that is most often overlooked: there might not be a 2nd contract. What is the way to maximize career earnings as an NBA player? Get drafted high AND stay in the league.

55 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Delaying the 2nd contract isn't the point everyone overlooks. THIS is the point that is most often overlooked: there might not be a 2nd contract. What is the way to maximize career earnings as an NBA player? Get drafted high AND stay in the league.

Exactly. Most players really only get one chance to stick in the league.  You'd better maximize that opportunity or you risk losing the attention of the people you need to impress.

...and I still can't shake the feeling that you are more visible and front-of-the-mind playing power 5 college ball than you are in the G-league, as silly as that sounds.  You are certainly more visible to the casual fan.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

In my experience, the two things that people don't think about with this decision are (1) it delays the second contract, and (2) that a player should come back to college to develop their game, while ignoring the fact that they can develop their game against the best talent in the world if they go pro. Naturally, that first point is dependent on staying in the league but someone like Romeo isn't likely to have that issue. 

44 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

In my experience, the two things that people don't think about with this decision are (1) it delays the second contract, and (2) that a player should come back to college to develop their game, while ignoring the fact that they can develop their game against the best talent in the world if they go pro. Naturally, that first point is dependent on staying in the league but someone like Romeo isn't likely to have that issue. 

Saying that delaying the 2nd contract is similar to investing your entire portfolio on one hot stock.

"I've got to invest it all now so I can cash out in 3 years with more."

"What if it goes down?"

If it works out, great. But it doesn't always work out. Bringing the 2nd contract as a factor in making this decision shouldn't play a huge factor because it's in no way guaranteed.

Won't deny that the 2nd point has merit, but there are also examples to the contrary: kids that did exactly that who either grew frustrated or the NBA overlooked/became disenchanted with.

I just peeked at Twitter page just to see if there was anything that would indicate where his head is at right now.....I did not see anything other than his background photo was recently changed to himself with entire IU team and their backs to the camera, in a huddle. When I look at that, I interpret as, Romeo loves playing at IU, his teammates and the experience.  I know it's a stretch and I am reading into it, but it is definitely encouraging to say the least....

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Saying that delaying the 2nd contract is similar to investing your entire portfolio on one hot stock.

"I've got to invest it all now so I can cash out in 3 years with more."

"What if it goes down?"

If it works out, great. But it doesn't always work out. Bringing the 2nd contract as a factor in making this decision shouldn't play a huge factor because it's in no way guaranteed.

Won't deny that the 2nd point has merit, but there are also examples to the contrary: kids that did exactly that who either grew frustrated or the NBA overlooked/became disenchanted with.

Nah, it's really just starting your career earlier so you can get promoted earlier. Staying in school just pushes that back a year, and adds no real value to your overall career trajectory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Romeo to stay another year, I just don't agree with some of the reasons people are giving, particularly the financial ones.

2 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Nah, it's really just starting your career earlier so you can get promoted earlier. Staying in school just pushes that back a year, and adds no real value to your overall career trajectory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for Romeo to stay another year, I just don't agree with some of the reasons people are giving, particularly the financial ones.

Disagree. I know I would not be ready for taking certain jobs that I may be able to "land" initially and then get overwhelmed and be in a worse spot in the long run. Same goes for the things I do currently, I would not have been prepared for the responsibilities I have today based on my skill-set two years ago. Same rule applies for NBA basketball in Romeo's case, only now the margin for error is MUCH smaller than the Corporate world. If you fall on your face in the NBA, that may be all she wrote and you may not ever get to that second contract. 

I don't know what the right answer is for Romeo, but it's a valid line of thinking that he needs to take into account whatever he decides. Also, this totally excludes other factors like just wanting to be in college for another year for social gain or academic gain later in life. Lots of factors.

7 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Disagree. I know I would not be ready for taking certain jobs that I may be able to "land" initially and then get overwhelmed and be in a worse spot in the long run. Same goes for the things I do currently, I would not have been prepared for the responsibilities I have today based on my skill-set two years ago. Same rule applies for NBA basketball in Romeo's case, only now the margin for error is MUCH smaller than the Corporate world. If you fall on your face in the NBA, that may be all she wrote and you may not ever get to that second contract. 

I don't know what the right answer is for Romeo, but it's a valid line of thinking that he needs to take into account whatever he decides. Also, this totally excludes other factors like just wanting to be in college for another year for social gain or academic gain later in life. Lots of factors.

I agree with you in principle, however we are talking millions of dollars here......

28 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I just peeked at Twitter page just to see if there was anything that would indicate where his head is at right now.....I did not see anything other than his background photo was recently changed to himself with entire IU team and their backs to the camera, in a huddle. When I look at that, I interpret as, Romeo loves playing at IU, his teammates and the experience.  I know it's a stretch and I am reading into it, but it is definitely encouraging to say the least....

What I didnt post yesterday was Elston picked Romeo up in golf cart yesterday and took him to AH to join the Joey Brunk visit....

Archived