Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK. EJ as but one of many examples, dealt with injuries in his early NBA career and is now a key piece/scorer for the Rockets. 

Spraining an ankle does not make you a piece of glass, unfortunately, it happens and sometimes a guy just has unlucky breaks (no pun intended). Romeo played through a torn ligament for basically a full season.

He's a tough kid. I'm sure he'll get healthy and will earn his playing time at some point.

In that regard, The C's bench is now the second lowest/worst scoring bench in the League (using points per game). Edwards' shooting has reverted. Romeo can score, the C's are very good this year, but not in bench scoring, that's a weakness. Whether Romeo can get healthy and contribute / get real playing time this season with the C's remains to be seen, but imo, Stevens would be stupid not to use Romeo once he's healthy.

It doesn't mean he is made of glass...but man it's a bad trend...and one that could lead to perception is reality with ownership/coaches who may tire of waiting on a guy to fullfil their potential. Another thing is sometimes a guy (and I think a strong case might be made) needs to get stronger physically (core, lower body, etc) which will help them prevent some of these tweaks etc that could be a result of turning an ankle etc because they aren't as strong as they need to be. I'm not saying Romeo is too skinny or anything but I do think some added strength could help his body sustain some of these unfortunate set backs.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

It doesn't mean he is made of glass...but man it's a bad trend...and one that could lead to perception is reality with ownership/coaches who may tire of waiting on a guy to fullfil their potential. Another thing is sometimes a guy (and I think a strong case might be made) needs to get stronger physically (core, lower body, etc) which will help them prevent some of these tweaks etc that could be a result of turning an ankle etc because they aren't as strong as they need to be. I'm not saying Romeo is too skinny or anything but I do think some added strength could help his body sustain some of these unfortunate set backs.

So just thinking out loud, maybe another year in a college training/weight room and playing against less physically demanding competition may have had some merit???????

2 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

So just thinking out loud, maybe another year in a college training/weight room and playing against less physically demanding competition may have had some merit???????

Said this long ago.  Would have benefited both, himself and IU.  Water under the bridge.  It is what it is. He made the decision.  Can't fault him for chasing the money, that still would have been there one year later.  All the best Romeo.  Hoping you don't have the same long term physical issues as Greg Oden.

9 minutes ago, IU4Ever said:

He was drafted in the lottery.... I'd love to see guys like Romeo stay, but putting yourself in his shoes for a minute, when you get feedback from NBA teams and have a pretty good feeling you're going to be drafted in the lottery, coming back is a roll of the dice. In any case, it's very early in his fledgling NBA career. He has lots of time to get past these early injuries. Hopefully, he will.

1 hour ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I see it the opposite. If he had come back and had these injuries at IU, no way hes a lottery pick this year. He made the right choice

Solid point. I love college basketball. But in terms of life, you do not fool around with that type of life changing money. You almost have to strike while the iron is hot.

3 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I see it the opposite. If he had come back and had these injuries at IU, no way hes a lottery pick this year. He made the right choice

Exactly right. It could be that his body just can't hold up to this much basketball. If that's the case, he will be glad he got a few million dollars out of it while he could.

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Exactly! The kid has been working his tail off his whole life to get to the NBA. Countless hours in the gym, countless hours in the weight room, miles and miles of travel. How can you blame him for leaving to be a lottery pick? Had he sustained these injuries while in college, he probably would not even be drafted. 

3 minutes ago, JABBATHEHOOSIER said:

Exactly! The kid has been working his tail off his whole life to get to the NBA. Countless hours in the gym, countless hours in the weight room, miles and miles of travel. How can you blame him for leaving to be a lottery pick? Had he sustained these injuries while in college, he probably would not even be drafted. 

The very reason.  Why.  I don't want to go after any one and dones at IU.  No ill wishes to Romeo. However, our program needs to build from year to year, with guys who want to do something for the program, rather themselves.  Let the one and dones go elsewhere.  Until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule.  Can't happen soon enough for me.

40 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The very reason.  Why.  I don't want to go after any one and dones at IU.  No ill wishes to Romeo. However, our program needs to build from year to year, with guys who want to do something for the program, rather themselves.  Let the one and dones go elsewhere.  Until the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule.  Can't happen soon enough for me.

It applies to any kid whether they leave after their freshman year or their junior year. Nearly every kid at that level has a dream of playing in the NBA. If they can acquire that dream, how can you blame them? You want the best of the best in your program. Guys who want to be better and sometimes that means they are going to play their way into the NBA early. That doesn't mean these guys don't want to do something for the program, it just means they are taking advantage of the opportunities available to them. I'd take a Romeo Langford every single year if he wanted to come to IU, it would be foolish to say otherwise.

Look at Charles Bassey down at WKU. He was projected to be a first round draft pick but chose to return to school for his sophomore year so he could do something for the program and make the fans happy.  Two weeks ago he goes down with a knee injury and is out the rest of the year. Do you think he regrets not taking advantage of the opportunity? Of course he does. There are no guarantees in life, especially when it comes to your health, so take advantage when you can.

Ive not read every post lately, but skimmed over several that are questioning if Romeo is injury prone or fragile or the next Oden.....maybe?  Or, maybe he has just had a string of bad luck?  Oden had foot problems from the start and it was a repeat of the same issue that caused him to retire.  From what ive read about Romeo, its been random injuries that dont have anything to do with each other.  While frustrating, lets give it a year or two before we call him Mr. Glass.

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

Ive not read every post lately, but skimmed over several that are questioning if Romeo is injury prone or fragile or the next Oden.....maybe?  Or, maybe he has just had a string of bad luck?  Oden had foot problems from the start and it was a repeat of the same issue that caused him to retire.  From what ive read about Romeo, its been random injuries that dont have anything to do with each other.  While frustrating, lets give it a year or two before we call him Mr. Glass.

I was the one who brought up Greg Oden. However, I did say, I hope Romeo does not turn into another Greg Oden.  Injured at IU. Did not give in. Much to his credit. Been on repair with the Celtics ever since.  Rough start.  I will agree with you, that it may be too early to tell. The NBA season is long. And can be physically and mentally taxing.  Let's hope for the best for Romeo. 

17 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm watching the resident, good show, on demand with my wife, keep me posted.  

Not much to report. He played about 3 minutes and then came out. Then cam back in about 5 minutes later but was only in for about 2 minutes. 

Playing the Carson Edwards “go stand in the corner, rook” role in the offense. He also was late recovering twice giving up 3’s to Seth Curry. A pretty non-descript performance, but wasn’t really given the time or opportunity to really get into a flow or do anything.  

11 hours ago, Mike said:

Not a NBA player.

We know you are not a NBA player, or an NBA executive, or an NBA scout.  You are a mere poster on a college message board.

But this thread is about Romeo and he was drafted in the lottery because NBA scouts and executives believe he is an NBA player.

Archived