Legendary female vocalists

milehiiu

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This member of the peanut gallery says boo to Madonna! :-)

I remember talking to my daughter about her...she was sayig something about Madonna and I saidoat people my age didn't like Madonna.  My daughter's comment was that Madonna had all these hits, etc. I said so did Britney Spears and Madonna sold her albums to the same 14 year olds that Britney did.  She understood then. Record sales don't always equal quality.  As always, JMHO.  

4 minutes ago, Tiz10 said:

Just gauging the criteria lol

Didn't know if it was on vocal performance alone or if it was just legendary female singers. Madonna did have a large influence in the late 80s into the early 90s. 

Agree.  I think Madonna should be on the list.  Definitely very influential during the 80's and 90's.  She is also the 4th best selling artist of all time (behind The Beatles, Elvis, and Michael Jackson).

And, as cringe-worthy as this may seem, let me share this stat with the board.  Taylor Swift has sold more records than Garth Brooks, The Eagles, and U2.

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agree.  I think Madonna should be on the list.  Definitely very influential during the 80's and 90's.  She is also the 4th best selling artist of all time (behind The Beatles, Elvis, and Michael Jackson).

And, as cringe-worthy as this may seem, let me share this stat with the board.  Taylor Swift has sold more records than Garth Brooks, The Eagles, and U2.

I agree about the Material Girl but in a quick search I found this........

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of-all-time-2016-9?amp%3Butm_medium=referral

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I agree about the Material Girl but in a quick search I found this........

http://www.businessinsider.com/best-selling-music-artists-of-all-time-2016-9?amp%3Butm_medium=referral

I can't view the article you linked because I have ad-blocker on.  Where do they have Madonna ranked?

Admittedly, my info came from Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can't view the article you linked because I have ad-blocker on.  Where do they have Madonna ranked?

Admittedly, my info came from Wikipedia, so take it for what it's worth.

She is not in the Top 50 for units sold.  Which I couldn't believe.  

Edit: She came in at #16.  Don't know how I missed that.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

She is not in the Top 50 for units sold.  Which I couldn't believe.  

That has to be an oversight.  I can understand some discrepancy depending on how you count.  But, one source can't have an artist #4 (with over 175 million certified sales) while another source does not even list the artist in Top 50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That has to be an oversight.  I can understand some discrepancy depending on how you count.  But, one source can't have an artist #4 (with over 175 million certified sales) while another source does not even list the artist in Top 50.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

Well I edited my original post concerning what they had......somehow I missed her.  She came in at #16.  Didn't have glasses on.  But yeah it is all subjective I suppose.  One that I thought was odd on my list was Kenny G.

45 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

This member of the peanut gallery says boo to Madonna! :-)

I remember talking to my daughter about her...she was sayig something about Madonna and I saidoat people my age didn't like Madonna.  My daughter's comment was that Madonna had all these hits, etc. I said so did Britney Spears and Madonna sold her albums to the same 14 year olds that Britney did.  She understood then. Record sales don't always equal quality.  As always, JMHO.  

For the record (no pun intended), by my count, (using Wikepedia) Madonna has 36 Top 10 singles in the U.S.  

Britney Spears only has 10.

They are not the same.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For the record (no pun intended), by my count, (using Wikepedia) Madonna has 36 Top 10 singles in the U.S.  

Britney Spears only has 10.

They are not the same.

It depends on the criteria. Number 1 hits ?  That was the point of my discussion with my daughter.  I don't think Madonna represented the quality music of that time (early 80's) any more than Britney Spears represented the quality music of my daughter's era. But if you use record sales as a surrogate endpoint for quality you would be missing the quality music of that gemeration the majority of the time. imho.

1 minute ago, Colonialcrester said:

It depends on the criteria. Number 1 hits ?  That was the point of my discussion with my daughter.  I don't think Madonna represented the quality music of that time (early 80's) any more than Britney Spears represented the quality music of my daughter's era. But if you use record sales as a surrogate endpoint for quality you would be missing the quality music of that gemeration the majority of the time. imho.

I'm not promoting Madonna's music as 'good'.  But, she certainly had a huge impact on popular music, especially women artists.  The majority of popular women artists today would probably list Madonna as someone that had an influence on their career.  In fact, you could make an argument that she may be the second most influential musical act of all time (behind The Beatles) .

For her sheer influence on music, I think she qualifies as 'legendary', which is the title of the thread.  I agree with you that Britney Spears is not in the discussion despite a large volume of record sales.  She fits the profile you are disparaging.  Madonna does not.  

47 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

Well let's pump the brakes here.  Think about how music had transformed going into the 80's.  And Madonna had a big part of it.  I myself was listening to Mellencamp, Springsteen, Petty and the likes.  But the gals I went out with were big Madonna fans.  Did I like her music?  No.  But I didn't like Michael Jackson's either.  Just me.  But one thing is for certain.....Madonna was very influential just as the Beattles, Elvis, and Buddy Holly in her time frame or era.  JMHO.

23 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fun thread.  I do not have a link to add, but here are a few opinions:

1.  I love how some people underestimate Dolly.  I like her because she's a class act.  Coming from her humble beginnings, I love how successful she is, not just singing or songwriting but in business. Good for her.  And her songwriting is special. Here you come again.   I will always love you.  Just wow.  And I'm saying this as not a huge country music guy. 

2.  Stevie Nicks.  IMO the coolest rock chick ever.  Just exudes cool in every way.  Love her style.  

3.  Carole King.  I heard It's Too Late Baby years ago right after a breakup.  I literally had to sit down.  It hit me hard.  You could just feel it  

4.  Love Chrissie Hynde too.  Brilliant talent and great back story.

5.  Mama Cass is good.

6  I'm going to throw in a little plug for my gal Ann Wilson. What a talent.  I put her near the top.  Magic Man.  Crazy on You.  Barracuda  

Man, I can't believe you were the first to mention Ann Wilson. That woman has some major pipes. Great call here!

Archived