2 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Good question.  I could not find much on his initial recruiting out of high school.  It is hard to imagine that a Valpo/IUPUI, etc. weren't interested, but then I am constantly amazed at how hard it is to play D1.  

I am hard pressed to think the Chicago schools let him slip away.

You have to like his shooting ability and length.  From what I could tell briefly, it looks like he can move his feet, so the potential is there even on D.  I agree with the soft spoken aspect a la Robert Johnson.  

He looks like he'd be a nice addition regardless of Romeo.

On another topic, it's tough to look at Marty Simmons.  I absolutely loved his game that freshman year.  He was a hell of a player.  Knight called him out on his weight then.  Losing Marty I think was a big factor in why we collapsed in the "chair year" and we had to rebuild with jucos.  We lost what looked to be a cornerstone guy in Marty.  Man, he played the right way.  You could give me the healthy and fit Marty of his prime on my team any day.

I do not mean any disrespect, but for his own health and safety, I hope Marty can find a way to lose 200 lbs.  There seems to be so many ways to do that these days, I hope he gets it done.  As I said, I mean that only for his health and not a cheap shot.  I am a big fan of Marty's.

57 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You have to like his shooting ability and length.  From what I could tell briefly, it looks like he can move his feet, so the potential is there even on D.  I agree with the soft spoken aspect a la Robert Johnson.  

He looks like he'd be a nice addition regardless of Romeo.

On another topic, it's tough to look at Marty Simmons.  I absolutely loved his game that freshman year.  He was a hell of a player.  Knight called him out on his weight then.  Losing Marty I think was a big factor in why we collapsed in the "chair year" and we had to rebuild with jucos.  We lost what looked to be a cornerstone guy in Marty.  Man, he played the right way.  You could give me the healthy and fit Marty of his prime on my team any day.

I do not mean any disrespect, but for his own health and safety, I hope Marty can find a way to lose 200 lbs.  There seems to be so many ways to do that these days, I hope he gets it done.  As I said, I mean that only for his health and not a cheap shot.  I am a big fan of Marty's.

And I thought Coverdale had blown up.

4 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

About 7 years ago, Marty had lost quite a bit of weight and was looking good.  Not sure what happened, as I can't imagine how much better he must have felt with the weight off.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/17143/evansville-coach-simmons-lost-135-pounds

He lost a person 7 years ago, but he's found another one. 

4 hours ago, HoosierCPA said:

About 7 years ago, Marty had lost quite a bit of weight and was looking good.  Not sure what happened, as I can't imagine how much better he must have felt with the weight off.

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/17143/evansville-coach-simmons-lost-135-pounds

Six years ago, I was down 40 pounds and running 10K's, even winning my age division.  Now I'm back up 50.  Us food addicts have a really difficult time maintaining a healthy lifestyle.  While I'm nowhere near where Marty is, I can absolutely sympathize with the battle he fights daily and will fight for the rest of his life.  Food addiction is in some ways, every bit as destructive as alcoholism.

I'll get back to walking/running 6 miles most days when the weather gets better, but as an addict, I know I'll always fight the urge to overeat.  Food is one of my fondest pleasures in life and no, I don't joke about this.  It's absolutely an addiction that I got honestly from my father.

Archived