1984 North Carolina Game

Today is the anniversary of this classic game.  I wasn't quite old enough to remember the 1981 title game, so this game for me was when IU basketball went from an interest to a passion.  We take a look at the teams, the game, and of course the legend of Dan Dakich vs. MJ.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/this-date-in-hoosier-history-indiana-takes-down-no-1-north-carolina/

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Today is the anniversary of this classic game.  I wasn't quite old enough to remember the 1981 title game, so this game for me was when IU basketball went from an interest to a passion.  We take a look at the teams, the game, and of course the legend of Dan Dakich vs. MJ.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/this-date-in-hoosier-history-indiana-takes-down-no-1-north-carolina/

Great game and a total surprise to win that game.  I have re watched this game many times and it never gets old.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

The younger crowd can talk about '89 all they want to but the '83-'84 squad flat over achieved.  We lost Kitchel, Wittman, Jim Thomas, Tony Brown, and Steve Bouchie from the previous year.  That is a lot of ammunition to reload.  Somehow, some way we did.

2 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I was 9 at the time and this is when it all changed for me. Either we didn't get the game in Chicago or it was past my bed time but I remember waking up very early asking my Dad the score and how it happened. From that point on obsessed would be a good word to describe my fandom. Or perhaps just normal Hoosier fan...haha.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I was 9 at the time and this is when it all changed for me. Either we didn't get the game in Chicago or it was past my bed time but I remember waking up very early asking my Dad the score and how it happened. From that point on obsessed would be a good word to describe my fandom. Or perhaps just normal Hoosier fan...haha.

For some reason I thought here in Indy we got the game on tape delay but I am not positive.  I was only 13 years old at the time and that has been  a long time ago so my memory is fading.

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

This is one of the reasons I joined this site.  I like hearing first person accounts of iubb before I was born/fully aware(my introduction came in 1992).  

I enjoy getting paid to watch these classic games on youtube when I should be working instead. 

Another thing watching the older game is how more simplistic the telecast is compared to today.  The announcers did not try to be the show back then like they do today.  Also the graphics is way more simplistic and the screen is not full of graphics.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For some reason I thought here in Indy we got the game on tape delay but I am not positive.  I was only 13 years old at the time and that has been  a long time ago so my memory is fading.

No, it would have been broadcast live.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing watching the older game is how more simplistic the telecast is compared to today.  The announcers did not try to be the show back then like they do today.  Also the graphics is way more simplistic and the screen is not full of graphics.

I rewatched this game last night and I couldn't believe how infrequently they showed the score on the bottom of the screen.  That would drive me nuts.

Just now, The Daily Hoosier said:

I rewatched this game last night and I couldn't believe how infrequently they showed the score on the bottom of the screen.  That would drive me nuts.

They would show it after every basket but today the score is on the screen the whole time as long with the clock and shot clock.  On ESPN then you have the ticker on the bottom of the screen so there is not much room for the actual game to be on the screen.

1 hour ago, rico said:

No, it would have been broadcast live.

I was living in Colorado Springs at the time, and the broadcast there was delayed--it started at 10:30 Mountain time. I made sure to avoid anything on the news about the game. Our daughter was 7 months old at the time, snug in bed, so I couldn't yell (very much) but I did a lot of jumping and kicking and throwing stuff around.

It's my favorite game that wasn't for the championship.

Just a bit more. This '84 Carolina team was being touted before the tourney as the best college basketball team ever. EVER. By a lot of dingbats. Maybe not without reason. 10 players on their roster got drafted by the NBA, including Jordan. They had lost only two games that season (before IU) by a total of 3 points.

The game turned into a simple coaching contest. Bob Knight vs. Dean Smith. And the win was a coaching win for Knight and IU.

One of the great wins for our great program.

I lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan when the game was played. It was taped delayed and came on at 11 p.m.. I was so pumped I didn't get an ounce of sleep that night. I thought for sure we were going to the Final  that year but we lost to Virginia in the Regional Final. If I remember correctly we led for a while but really couldn't get any momentum. 

I remember it well.   Back then only the local CBS station had the games and you were out of luck watching your team live if the local team was playing.  Well the Louisville station must have been airing UK or UL because I remember having to drive to Madison to watch the game at my aunt's house.   They pulled in the Cincy station I think.   Anyway that is one great memory.

Go Hoosier!!!

Archived