The Keto Diet and Intermittent Fasting

mjeze106

Anyone else heard/tried the ketogenic diet?  It's goal is to turn the body into a fat adapted machine that uses ketones as energy as opposed to carbohydrates.  It definitely goes against the 20th century food pyramid and low fat recommendations but any research studies surrounding those have been shown to be fairly unreliable (a lot of bias involved).

I've been doing it off and on (not recommended) for a few years now.  But when I'm fully in, it truly is amazing.

I've been strict with it (and been doing 16-8 intermittent fasting) since January 1 of this year and have dropped 33 lbs.

Here is a beginner's guide to the diet with some more details in the links provided: https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/27vx2z/beginners_guide_to_keto/

Ask me any questions if you are curious too.

P.S. for those that don't know what intermittent fasting is... when I say 16-8, I eat in a 8 hour window during the day and fast the rest of the time (including sleep)

I havent done intermittent fasting intentionally but have been eating in a 16-8 window like you the last couple weeks and I have noticed a difference with the way I feel internally.  Less bloating/indigestion. I may stick with it. 

My wife has been thinking about trying keto and she has a long term goal of doing a fitness comp.

She doesn't like the idea of fasting, so my question, is it necessary to do both in combination or is it just your preference.  Also, with less carb intake how are hunger/energy levels?  Do you or did you get afternoons headaches/head fog? I usually experience this at first when cutting carbs.

Im glad topic came up. She tasked me with doing the research for her because I'm the science nerd in the house. 

Intermittent fasting goes really well with keto because fats satiate your hunger much better than carbohydrates.  So fasting is just inherently easier.

That said, you can do one and not the other with success.

In regards to brain fog or energy depletion...

if you are truly doing keto and staying in ketosis, then yes, initially your body is going to go through some flu-like symptoms as your body transitions.  These last different lengths of time depending on the person.  That said, typically once in ketosis and fat-adapted, I've seen and heard others have a much clearer mind and similar (if not better) energy levels than when the body's fuel source is carbohydrates.

I've seen research about how fasting improves longevity. https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2017/11/intermittent-fasting-may-be-center-of-increasing-lifespan/   I'm interested in trying for that reason but haven't been able to come to grips with going hungry. I will try it at some point. Apparently, you can get the benefit by doing just 2 days per week. 

If looking for some more in depth reading on it - http://www.mauldineconomics.com/tech/tech-digest/fasting-artificial-intelligence-and-oxaloacetate#

This is totally out of my bailiwick.  Just want to say, that topics, such as this and many others, which I am sure to come, are exactly why we created the "Animal House".  And moved it recently to a more prominent position on the platform.

Of course, HSN 3.0 is primarily a basketball forum.... but no reason why we can't talk about other things of interest to us as well.  That's what the "Animal House" is for.

I was on this diet for just over a year, fasting 2-3 days a week.
I dropped from 196 to 170.  I had more energy, was sharper and was able to engage in polyphasic sleeping as well.
Felt like a machine getting much done with remodeling, writing, and much reading.
I wish I never stopped either of the two.

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

@mjeze106

Do you have any experience with taking exogenous ketones supplements?

@mrflynn03

I have  never taken any and everything I've read seem to point in the direction of them being a scam (I'm also a natural skeptic though).

The ketones that matter are the ones your body creates naturally.  Any ketones addes externally are pointless (based on my previous research)

4 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

I wish I never stopped either of the two.

I've looked into it, but this is kind of where I'm at with it.  How realistic is it to sustain this diet?  I've heard of people having pretty good success with it, but if they get off of it at all, they balloon back up.  I've been dieting the past couple of months, by strictly counting calories and have lost a little over 20 lbs.  I still get to enjoy most of the foods I've always enjoyed, but I just have to cut my portions back.  As they say, everything in moderation.  It's been pretty easy actually.

8 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I've looked into it, but this is kind of where I'm at with it.  How realistic is it to sustain this diet?  I've heard of people having pretty good success with it, but if they get off of it at all, they balloon back up.  I've been dieting the past couple of months, by strictly counting calories and have lost a little over 20 lbs.  I still get to enjoy most of the foods I've always enjoyed, but I just have to cut my portions back.  As they say, everything in moderation.  It's been pretty easy actually.

I think the fact that people feel good and lose weight while doing the keto diet and then balloon up after they stop tells you all you need to know.  We live in a society and culture that has, unfortunately, pushed foods that just aren't good for us.  Is keto hard in the current culture we live in?  Yes.  But that doesn't mean the diet itself is bad.  That means we are undisciplined.

I'm at point where I need to lose body fat so I have been researching diet strategy and found this article helpful.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/whats-the-best-diet-for-losing-fat

The part that stands out to me is the authors point of treating diet like you would training cycles.  So multiple dieting strategies could fit within an overall diet plan. I hadn't thought of it that way before.  

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Just throwing it out there but if you are looking for a diet with good health benefits, try veganism. There are tons of other benefits too, but that's a different conversation. 

As someone who recently rescued a couple of terrier pits who are an absolute joy....I get the point. One thing at a time. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

As someone who recently rescued a couple of terrier pits who are an absolute joy....I get the point. One thing at a time. 

That's awesome! From the non-food/health perspective of veganism, I'll just say every little bit helps. Do what you can do; it all matters and makes a difference. 

Rescuing is definitely a great way to go if you are in the life stage to accommodate it! 

Archived