After Knight passes.

Doyle had an article in the Indy Star today.  I will link it hoping you guys can read it. Surprisingly to me, I was allowed to read it.  Normally does not happen for me. Therefore I hardly link anything from the Star.

Gene Keady can still love Purdue, why does Bob Knight have to hate IU?

I am bring this up,not so much about Keady or Knight.... though I note that Keady is traveling with the Boilers during the NCAAT.

But, rather, Doyle mentions that IU has statues of Dean, and McCracken.   And we know Knight refused to have one erected of him.

So my question is simple.  Should IU erect a statue to Knight, after he passes ? 

I thought about tweeting at Doyel but didn't feel like dealing with the mentions today. The point Doyel misses is yes he acted like an a--. We all know that. The thing he fails to mention the thousands of private donations, fundraising, charity work he did without ever asking for attention. I thought GD had turned the page in Indy and become a better writer. This wasn't one of his best efforts. Seemed like a loose and cheap attempt for clicks.

47 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Doyle had an article in the Indy Star today.  I will link it hoping you guys can read it. Surprisingly to me, I was allowed to read it.  Normally does not happen for me. Therefore I hardly link anything from the Star.

Gene Keady can still love Purdue, why does Bob Knight have to hate IU?

I am bring this up,not so much about Keady or Knight.... though I note that Keady is traveling with the Boilers during the NCAAT.

But, rather, Doyle mentions that IU has statues of Dean, and McCracken.   And we know Knight refused to have one erected of him.

So my question is simple.  Should IU erect a statue to Knight, after he passes ? 

Nope, that seems like a behind the back sort of thing to me. If he doesn't want one then I don't want him to get one. I don't say it with bitterness. It's just my two cents. At this point, I want Knight to embrace us, but I don't think it'll happen and don't care a whole lot as to whether it will happen or not.

If CBK at some point before he passes finally reconciles with IU, then absolutely build a statue!  If not, I would like to do the next best thing and make a statue of the 1976 National Champions minus the head coach.  I would just add a plaque that states:  Head Coach Bob Knight.  The historic accomplishment of that time deservers such recognition.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought about tweeting at Doyel but didn't feel like dealing with the mentions today. The point Doyel misses is yes he acted like an a--. We all know that. The thing he fails to mention the thousands of private donations, fundraising, charity work he did without ever asking for attention. I thought GD had turned the page in Indy and become a better writer. This wasn't one of his best efforts. Seemed like a loose and cheap attempt for clicks.

This is so true and make no mistake, he also brought a ton of money in to IU......

All kinds of ways to go with this, IMHO.  All for differing and valid reasons.  Really complex situation, as far as I am concerned.  As has been mentioned by Seeking 6, are all the things that Knight did for the University, that were not even BB related. Then I think of the classes he loved to teach, and how many young people's lives may have been touched and influenced by those classes. 

And then, of course there were all the many BB related accomplishments.

Then there is the dissing of IU, post firing.

One thing I think should be considered is ...... should IU honor his wishes not to have a statue established after his passing ?  Would that go counter, not only to his wishes, but perhaps his families' wishes as well ?  Or would IU be in the right, putting up a statue of Knight, as they did with Dean, and McCracken ?

One thing, I know.  Even after his passing, whenever that will come.... Knight and his legacy are a very complex topic. 

Well mile, I think you may have an answer in this famous/infamous RMK quote, I'm sure you remember this one:

“When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!”
Bobby Knight

So I'm thinking if there was a statue erected, maybe it should be upside down????   :D

7 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Well mile, I think you may have an answer in this famous/infamous RMK quote, I'm sure you remember this one:

“When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!”
Bobby Knight

So I'm thinking if there was a statue erected, maybe it should be upside down????   :D

I DO remember that statement. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Lots of wife beaters do wonderful things, too. Doesn't change the fact that they're wife beaters. 

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Bobby Knight

And Include a chair...lol

I vote no.

My loyalty is to the institution. I love what Knight did for us. I don't think we handled his firing as good as we should have.

But we're talking about stuff that's nearly 20 years old and about people who are dead. The past is the past.

Knight continues to make it this issue:  Knight vs. Indiana University. That's his choice. We should degrade ourselves to honor a guy who despises us?

No.

33 minutes ago, Mac said:

I vote no.

My loyalty is to the institution. I love what Knight did for us. I don't think we handled his firing as good as we should have.

But we're talking about stuff that's nearly 20 years old and about people who are dead. The past is the past.

Knight continues to make it this issue:  Knight vs. Indiana University. That's his choice. We should degrade ourselves to honor a guy who despises us?

No.

Here's my thing. Knight isn't the one bringing this stuff up. Reporters are. Message boards are. He seems content. Let it be. Arguing the point is futile.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why not? Knight was an abuser; I'm not sure how that is subject to debate?

Was that the subject or just a chance to enter an angle? I thought Mile asked about whether IU should erect a statue. Sorry. I know Tony B being out of the tourney has your cred a bit shot but doesn't seem like a good look. Just my 2 cents.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Was that the subject or just a chance to enter an angle? I thought Mile asked about whether IU should erect a statue. Sorry. I know Tony B being out of the tourney has your cred a bit shot but doesn't seem like a good look. Just my 2 cents.

My credibility is shot because Virginia is out of the tournament? Not sure I follow that logic but okay. 

The subject was Knight and you wanted to point out that he did all these great things; I inferred that you were saying he is a good guy that deserves a statue. If you weren't, my apologies, but I also question how it was material to Knight deserving a statue if you didn't mean that. 

My point was obviously that he doesn't deserve a statue because he is an abuser and no amount of chartiable deeds change that. Joe Paterno, who was "merely" an enabler of abuse doesn't deserve a statue either. And no, I'm not comparing Knight to Sandusky, but I do think they're both serial abusers. 

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My credibility is shot because Virginia is out of the tournament? Not sure I follow that logic but okay. 

The subject was Knight and you wanted to point out that he did all these great things; I inferred that you were saying he is a good guy that deserves a statue. If you weren't, my apologies, but I also question how it was material to Knight deserving a statue if you didn't mean that. 

My point was obviously that he doesn't deserve a statue because he is an abuser and no amount of chartiable deeds change that. Joe Paterno, who was "merely" an enabler of abuse doesn't deserve a statue either. And no, I'm not comparing Knight to Sandusky, but I do think they're both serial abusers. 

So Knight is now in the same company in your eyes as an abuser much like Sandusky was?? Can't help you there. They aren't even in the same hemisphere. Sandusky was a pedophile. You think Knight was in that same realm as an abuser? Your words not mine. Even if you could potentially think Knight was an abuser....I think it's diminishing the difference between what  you think you Knight did....and obviously what Sandusky did. Categorizing those two people?? Not sure what to offer on that. Have a good one.

I got a question how many on here actually know Knight personally? My second question how many on here think IU, “our beloved IU” think it would have the discussion, arguments, and love for IU without Knight? I’m guessing not many know him or his beliefs, nor would they be this passionate about IU without him. 

That alone should answer your question about a statue.

9 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

I got a question how many on here actually know Knight personally? My second question how many on here think IU, “our beloved IU” think it would have the discussion, arguments, and love for IU without Knight? I’m guessing not many know him or his beliefs, nor would they be this passionate about IU without him. 

Good question. Must admit that I don't know him personally. However, the year IU was in Denver during the NCAAT, and without going into much detail... Mr. Knight completely dissed me and my son as we waited for an hour for him to come to the team bus.  We stood by the door of the bus. We were the only two IU fans there. And though the entire team acknowledged us and our IU gear,  as they entered the bus..... Mr. Knight walked past us and entered the bus.... as if we were not even there.

And that was a I time when I was passionate enough about him to take time away from my job, and attempt to instill the same passion I had in my son. 

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So Knight is now in the same company in your eyes as an abuser much like Sandusky was?? Can't help you there. They aren't even in the same hemisphere. Sandusky was a pedophile. You think Knight was in that same realm as an abuser? Your words not mine. Even if you could potentially think Knight was an abuser....I think it's diminishing the difference between what  you think you Knight did....and obviously what Sandusky did. Categorizing those two people?? Not sure what to offer on that. Have a good one.

I literally said I'm not comparing Knight to Sandusky...

13 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

IU is my Alma mater, my love for the University doesn't even have anything to do with basketball. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Good question. Must admit that I don't know him personally. However, the year IU was in Denver during the NCAAT, and without going into much detail... Mr. Knight completely dissed me and my son as we waited for an hour for him to come to the team bus.  We stood by the door of the bus. We were the only two IU fans there. And though the entire team acknowledged us and our IU gear,  as they entered the bus..... Mr. Knight walked past us and entered the bus.... as if we were not even there.

And that was I time when I was passionate enough about him to take time away from my job, and attempt to instill the same passion I had in my son. 

Well I do know him personally and it’s to be expected from someone that is as polarizing as he is to shut out everything, including fans.

I will tell you his displeasure for IU isn’t the fans nor the players it’s the fact he got fired for stuff that was common place back when he was a coach and that is why he won’t go back.

I will tell you some stories that are completely different than what you experienced.

My grandpa got to know Knight in the mid 70s and ever since then we have been IU. When he won the coach of the year in 87 he brought my grandpa with him for the awards ceremony and my grandpa from MT, was the only guy at the ceremony with a cowboy hat, haha classic. When they were headed back to the hotel he gave my grandpa his gold plaque for coach of the year, it still hangs in the house. Second story, after I graduated high school Knight sent me and my twin brother Texas tech swag, with a nice note telling us that high school is only a step. My favorite story was when he flew us out to IU to watch IU play Minnesota, all paid for by him personally, we got to sit in on the coaches meeting after practice the day before and listen to their game plan on how to stop Jacobson from Minn the next day, it was so cool. Oh and his son married a girl from Circle, MT and my twin brother and I got to be ushers as youngsters for the wedding.

Knight did all of this for my family and me, not because we live in MT and had places to hunt, because we don’t. My family doesn’t own a sliver of land in MT, he just really liked my grandpa and treated everybody in our family as if he knew us forever.

long story short, the guy has a great heart and if you watch and only listen to the news on him, you will come to the wrong conclusion. He is a good guy and still to this day loves IU, the IU current players, past IU players, and especially the fans. However, he doesn’t like how IU was hypocritical in firing him and used  him as a scape goat.

Archived