Little 500

My nephew was the workhorse, he rode more laps than anyone on the team, but Noble pulled it out with a great final two laps.  I was worried with 3 laps to go because Noble was blocked in in the back of the pack. He had to back off and go all the was around the pack to get into position for the sprint..

5 minutes ago, SteveS said:

My nephew was the workhorse, he rode more laps than anyone on the team, but Noble pulled it out with a great final two laps.  I was worried with 3 laps to go because Noble was blocked in in the back of the pack. He had to back off and go all the was around the pack to get into position for the sprint..

Yeah.  WIth 3 to go, it wasn't looking good for the Cutters.  At least from what I thought.  Tremendous finish.  You gotta be proud of your nephew. 

I know theses guys train hard and long.  And to wind up a champ has to special. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yeah.  WIth 3 to go, it wasn't looking good for the Cutters.  At least from what I thought.  Tremendous finish.  You gotta be proud of your nephew. 

I know theses guys train hard and long.  And to wind up a champ has to special. 

I am proud of him. My brother rode for Acacia back in the late 80’s and I was the team mechanic for three years. Then my senior year I was the head mechanic for the race. The best we did back then was 2nd.

23 minutes ago, SteveS said:

I am proud of him. My brother rode for Acacia back in the late 80’s and I was the team mechanic for three years. Then my senior year I was the head mechanic for the race. The best we did back then was 2nd.

So.  You're family has a little 500 tradition. Nice. And thanks again for sharing. 

I watched both the men’s and women’s races via the livestream link. They were both fantastic. Very cool to see Tyra as Grand Marshall for both races. 

Beta had such a big lead today with maybe 15 laps to go? It was a really exciting finish! Congrats to the Cutters! Saw the son of a friend of ours on one of the little bits shown during the race, which was very cool. 

Always enjoy watching the Little 500!!

14 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I watched both the men’s and women’s races via the livestream link. They were both fantastic. Very cool to see Tyra as Grand Marshall for both races. 

Beta had such a big lead today with maybe 15 laps to go? It was a really exciting finish! Congrats to the Cutters! Saw the son of a friend of ours on one of the little bits shown during the race, which was very cool. 

Always enjoy watching the Little 500!!

Neat.  I missed the women's race on Friday.

This is dating myself.  When I was a student, there was no women's race.  Well, not like today.  Instead, on Friday night, the women held heat races on big trikes.  It was held in what is now the Gladstone Fieldhouse.  Back then it was called the "New Fieldhouse".  Where IU played it's basketball games, before Assembly Hall was built.  But, I have to tell you those trike races were fun to watch !  Of course, back then, as well, the little 500 was held in the old football stadium, which now is the Arboretum. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Neat.  I missed the women's race on Friday.

This is dating myself.  When I was a student, there was no women's race.  Well, not like today.  Instead, on Friday night, the women held heat races on big trikes.  It was held in what is now the Gladstone Fieldhouse.  Back then it was called the "New Fieldhouse".  Where IU played it's basketball games, before Assembly Hall was built.  But, I have to tell you those trike races were fun to watch !  Of course, back then, as well, the little 500 was held in the old football stadium, which now is the Arboretum. 

Lol I think many of us date ourselves from time to time ;)  A few friends and I formed a Mini 500 team (the trike race), and by my years at IU, guys were also on Mini 500 teams. Our team was named St. Pauli Girls because we went to St. Paul’s Catholic Church on campus. We got that past the censors with that explanation (which was 100% true); of course, being on a tight budget, we were fortunate to receive sponsorship in the form of free t-shirts from a local watering hole with, you guessed it, St. Pauli girls on the front.  Hours of actual training resulted in a great time but also a disqualification for not staying in the lines. It was harder than it looked!

I was reminded during today’s broadcast that Theta attempted to qualify a women’s team in the Little 500 in 1987 and came up short. The following year, the Women’s Little 500 began. The best thing I got out of that Mini 500 and some relay race that a bunch of us also entered that weekend was a sweatshirt that said “IU Foundation” on the front, and I still have it. :) 

13 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

Lol I think many of us date ourselves from time to time ;)  A few friends and I formed a Mini 500 team (the trike race), and by my years at IU, guys were also on Mini 500 teams. Our team was named St. Pauli Girls because we went to St. Paul’s Catholic Church on campus. We got that past the censors with that explanation (which was 100% true); of course, being on a tight budget, we were fortunate to receive sponsorship in the form of free t-shirts from a local watering hole with, you guessed it, St. Pauli girls on the front.  Hours of actual training resulted in a great time but also a disqualification for not staying in the lines. It was harder than it looked!

I was reminded during today’s broadcast that Theta attempted to qualify a women’s team in the Little 500 in 1987 and came up short. The following year, the Women’s Little 500 began. The best thing I got out of that Mini 500 and some relay race that a bunch of us also entered that weekend was a sweatshirt that said “IU Foundation” on the front, and I still have it. :) 

Ah, yes.  I had forgotten that the women's trike race was called the Mini 500. I searched for video.  Only thing I could find was this  1994 Mini 500 -- Wright/Parks Huskies

Men not women. In AH, not Gladstone.  But gives a good idea as to the size of the trike's, and the layout of the course.

Edit :  Found.... a video.  Part of the third link, below. 

Archived