What was your dream job?

I think back to my youth.  Listening to my Dad and family talk about their military experiences.  I was accepted/eligible for the service academies.  However, due to my Father's experiences in Viet Nam he didn't want me to go that route.  I wanted to be a pilot and a lifetime military guy.

Geologist,  I decided against it because at 17 I wasnt interested in traveling west of waynesboro Missouri, which is where my grandpa grew up and we visited his family farm when I was a kid a few times. 

Well, in 2005 at 20 yrs old I went out west 4 different times working my summer job. Pretty much everywhere but california. And I loved it. Ironic right.

I'm still young enough to do it if I want to.  

I also have always been interested in welding and electrical work. 

Right now I work in a microbiology lab.  I'm very eclectic it seems. 

35 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Geologist,  I decided against it because at 17 I wasnt interested in traveling west of waynesboro Missouri, which is where my grandpa grew up and we visited his family farm when I was a kid a few times. 

Well, in 2005 at 20 yrs old I went out west 4 different times working my summer job. Pretty much everywhere but california. And I loved it. Ironic right.

I'm still young enough to do it if I want to.  

I also have always been interested in welding and electrical work. 

Right now I work in a microbiology lab.  I'm very eclectic it seems. 

FWIW if you are interested in electrical work, there is a shortage of lineman around the country right now and those guys make an absolute killing. Great benefits too, typically. 

I actually wanted to be a college basketball coach. I looked into, talked to my coaches from college, talked to some of the Celtics coaches when I was there, and my Dad played for Dave Gavitt in HS so reached out to him, as well as a family member that was a successful high school coach. I still have some regrets about not pursuing it, but the big take away from all the coaches I knew in my life was that every single one of them, my high school coach, college coach, relative that was a coach, etc., etc., was on at least their second wife. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the takeaway was always that it was a hard life and be guaranteed you're going to have some divorces, children impacted, etc.

Decided I didn't want that, so didn't pursue it. Funny now is that we just moved back to the town I went to high school in after 15 years away, and all my old friends who now have kids in school are trying to get me into coaching one of the school teams. I have a flexible job, so thinking about ways I can get into coaching that way, maybe a volunteer assistant, looking into AAU as there isn't a main program in the area, etc. 

45 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I actually wanted to be a college basketball coach. I looked into, talked to my coaches from college, talked to some of the Celtics coaches when I was there, and my Dad played for Dave Gavitt in HS so reached out to him, as well as a family member that was a successful high school coach. I still have some regrets about not pursuing it, but the big take away from all the coaches I knew in my life was that every single one of them, my high school coach, college coach, relative that was a coach, etc., etc., was on at least their second wife. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the takeaway was always that it was a hard life and be guaranteed you're going to have some divorces, children impacted, etc.

Decided I didn't want that, so didn't pursue it. Funny now is that we just moved back to the town I went to high school in after 15 years away, and all my old friends who now have kids in school are trying to get me into coaching one of the school teams. I have a flexible job, so thinking about ways I can get into coaching that way, maybe a volunteer assistant, looking into AAU as there isn't a main program in the area, etc. 

You could always referee! 

Glease and MrFlynn, 

A bit of advice I gave my daughter when she called me up and said she wanted to move to California and see if she could make it as an actress or a dancer! I told her if she didn't at least try she would regret it the rest of her life. She is now a wonderful mother of my grandchildren and happily married living in California, and not an actress or dancer! But she has no regrets! Live the dream and go with what life brings you!

As for me, somehow I have managed to get pigeon holed in Manufacturing Engineering. Whish I had managed to redirect myself earlier in life toward product design engineering. Perhaps, if I'm ever able to actually retire I'll start developing my own designs?

I chose between the Berkeley Scool of Music and law school — but that after I lost my hockey legs to injury, which ended my first dream of college and pro hockey. 

I always wonder about people who say they have no regrets — I’ve got regrets! — but to those who manage to truly chase your dream, while keeping fallback options, good for you and well done!

38 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Glease and MrFlynn, 

A bit of advice I gave my daughter when she called me up and said she wanted to move to California and see if she could make it as an actress or a dancer! I told her if she didn't at least try she would regret it the rest of her life. She is now a wonderful mother of my grandchildren and happily married living in California, and not an actress or dancer! But she has no regrets! Live the dream and go with what life brings you!

Definitely good advice!

A little late for me, I’m 40 soon and have three kids so don’t foresee any major career change like that. But, I scratch the itch by coaching my kids teams, and do plan to get more involved in either school (maybe 9th grade) or AAU coaching. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Definitely good advice!

A little late for me, I’m 40 soon and have three kids so don’t foresee any major career change like that. But, I scratch the itch by coaching my kids teams, and do plan to get more involved in either school (maybe 9th grade) or AAU coaching. 

I'm soon to be 65 and still see a future in developing my own product designs, don't let age and circumstances be an excuse. Don't forget the coach of Luke Brown, who is now in his 80's. Age does not end your dreams, but perhaps can allow your dreams.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:10 AM, Seeking6 said:

Probably Cubs radio announcer since they didn't want me to play 2nd base. 

As a child, I had sights set on being a MLB player.  Absolutely obsessed with it.  

As it turns out, I was on the MLB permanently ineligible list.  No, not for gambling or steroids.  I was on the "suck way too bad to be considered' list.

As an adult and a sports junkie, I definitely thinks sports announcing would be a blast.  And, I would want to be affiliated with a specific team, not one of these guys that just covers national games.

As a kid and still to this day, i think it would be fun to be the voice of a cartoon character. Wouldn't be a bad way to make a paycheck, you could show up to work in shorts and a tee shirt and get the job done.

as i started playing guitar in my late teens and early 20's i then wanted to be a professional musician. "you mean people will pay me AND give me drinks to play my guitar?? Sign me up!"  Sex,drugs, and rock and roll still doesnt sound like too bad a way to bring home the bacon.

Archived