Top 10 Recruit Darius Bazley Decommitting from Syracuse

59 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think it's a risk.  Weaknesses in your game are more likely to get exposed in the G League than in college.  In college, you can still be drafted first round based on potential .  Harder to do that when you get exposed in the G League.

I agree.........but I wonder what kind of attendance spike he will bring to the league?

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think it's a risk.  Weaknesses in your game are more likely to get exposed in the G League than in college.  In college, you can still be drafted first round based on potential .  Harder to do that when you get exposed in the G League.

In my mind, all it's doing in that case is exposing your weaknesses a year earlier. Either way you're a bust. Say you get exposed in the G league. You've still got a lot more time in that year to work on whatever weaknesses your game has. That's an offset to getting exposed. May cost you a rookie contract but may help you get one.

If you're hell bent on being a one and done, then only real risk is potentially being exposed against better competition, where in college you may be able to hide weaknesses against inferior competition. So it could potentially hurt draft stock. But, if you're that intent being a one and done, then you might as well gamble on yourself. Makes sense. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

If you're hell bent on being a one and done, then only real risk is potentially being exposed against better competition, where in college you may be able to hide weaknesses against inferior competition. So it could potentially hurt draft stock. But, if you're that intent being a one and done, then you might as well gamble on yourself. Makes sense. 

I think I’m with 5fouls on this one.  I kind of have a feeling Bazley will get dominated in the G League playing against players in their mid-to-late 20s.  On the other hand, he’d probably do better playing against lesser competition in college.  Wouldn’t the smarter move (as far as draft stock goes) be to play in college for a year?

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

These guys with a good agent can also do some small local marketing stuff and get some endorsement deals.  Nike, Adidas, UA will gamble on the top names as well.  So if you are a top guy, you are going to get paid.  

I don't any thing about the G- league but does the players playing in it now get much endorsements because I just feel like most companies would have no need for a G- league player to do endorsements.  Here in Indy we have a minor league baseball team and soccer team and really don't see players doing endorsements.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I don't any thing about the G- league but does the players playing in it now get much endorsements because I just feel like most companies would have no need for a G- league player to do endorsements.  Here in Indy we have a minor league baseball team and soccer team and really don't see players doing endorsements.

If shoe companies are paying these kids while they're in college, why would they stop paying them now that they can legally make a deal for the one year they are in the g?

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

If shoe companies are paying these kids while they're in college, why would they stop paying them now that they can legally make a deal for the one year they are in the g?

Because they get way more exposure in the college game than they will in the G league.  If you play at a blue blood program then you will be on national TV every night for 5 months and the tournament.  In the G league you will never be on national TV and never seen.

Even so, in college, they are still gambling on future potential just like they are at the G-league.  You think the shoe company that helped Marvin Bagley got a bunch of exposure from his year at Duke?  Before the article posted here yesterday, I couldn't have told you who they were.  I don't think a year in college vs. a year in the G league makes a bit of difference to a shoe company.  It's all about pro potential.

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Because they get way more exposure in the college game than they will in the G league.  If you play at a blue blood program then you will be on national TV every night for 5 months and the tournament.  In the G league you will never be on national TV and never seen.

I see your point.  If a duke/future Nike kid gets some cash to go to Duke and then signs with Nike a year later, Duke/Nike still made some money off the college investment.  LeBron looked like a future star coming out of high school and got a $100 million dollar deal straight out of the gate.  Had he been forced into the g league for a season he would have received the same deal.  To deny that ends the conversation.  

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I see your point.  If a duke/future Nike kid gets some cash to go to Duke and then signs with Nike a year later, Duke/Nike still made some money off the college investment.  LeBron looked like a future star coming out of high school and got a $100 million dollar deal straight out of the gate.  Had he been forced into the g league for a season he would have received the same deal.  To deny that ends the conversation.  

LeBron was a different animal as compared to today's kids.  His HS school games were on ESPN quite a bit, and I remember one where Jordan was there in the front row.  He was shoe company's dream then as he is now.

Some kids just don’t want to go to college, let them go to the G League. College isn’t for everyone. There is a reason only 44% of Americans have an associates degree or higher. Think about Bagley for a second. His family went from a $44k yearly income to living in a $750k house. He was in high school and wasn’t going to Duke yet. Shoe company’s are playing the long game with these kids. They sign them early, not because they go to a P5 school, but for the  chance that they become the next big thing. 

So Bazley goes to the G league and makes his $26k salary but will probably have a 6 figure Nike deal. Not a bad alternative to college. He can always go to college if basketball doesn’t work out. 

22 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Some kids just don’t want to go to college, let them go to the G League. College isn’t for everyone. There is a reason only 44% of Americans have an associates degree or higher. Think about Bagley for a second. His family went from a $44k yearly income to living in a $750k house. He was in high school and wasn’t going to Duke yet. Shoe company’s are playing the long game with these kids. They sign them early, not because they go to a P5 school, but for the  chance that they become the next big thing. 

So Bazley goes to the G league and makes his $26k salary but will probably have a 6 figure Nike deal. Not a bad alternative to college. He can always go to college if basketball doesn’t work out. 

Having watch this kid twice I just wouldn't put hi in the category of the players that have been mentioned. I just don't see where a shoe company would be knocking down doors to sign him.

18 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

The reason the shoe companies are paying the kids is not just to get in with the kids early. Adidas wants their flagship schools like Louisville and Kansas to continue their prominence in college basketball, same with Nike and Under Armor.  Adidas pays Louisville $44 million, what’s a couple of hundred thousand to players to make sure Louisville is nationally relevant.

5 hours ago, rico said:

LeBron was a different animal as compared to today's kids.  His HS school games were on ESPN quite a bit, and I remember one where Jordan was there in the front row.  He was shoe company's dream then as he is now.

LeBron is the animal outlier.  I think there would be a few per year the shoe companies would take a flyer in.  

45 minutes ago, SteveS said:

The reason the shoe companies are paying the kids is not just to get in with the kids early. Adidas wants their flagship schools like Louisville and Kansas to continue their prominence in college basketball, same with Nike and Under Armor.  Adidas pays Louisville $44 million, what’s a couple of hundred thousand to players to make sure Louisville is nationally relevant.

Good point.  

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

LeBron is the animal outlier.  I think there would be a few per year the shoe companies would take a flyer in.  

Perhaps, but in my lifetime....I have seen no other player get the type of national media coverage that James did in HS.

Archived