Improper benefits for Marvin Bagley?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article207007143.html (published today using the 2nd link's article as a source)

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/page/the_loyalty_game.html (published 3/17/18 and of course I haven't seen anything about this on ESPN since it deals with Nike, Duke, and Coach K)

Big takeaway for me was this part:

"According to The Oregonian story, the Bagleys filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy in April 2008, listing their combined annual income at just over $44,000. Three years later their house was sold at a trustee's sale. 

In a recent tax filing, the Bagleys listed a home address in a gated subdivision in Northridge called Porter Ranch, that typically has houses sell from $750,000 to $1.5 million and rents from $2,500 to $7,500 per month, according to an area real estate agent, the story states.

Bagley Jr. told Sports Illustrated in 2016 that the family was relying on the Nike sponsorship and an athletic apparel company he started to "make ends meet.""

1 hour ago, INDenizen said:

For Duke's sake, I just hope there are no issues with bumper stickers. 

These reports really sicken me...the fact that we've had our program blown up over phone calls, etc., and these other programs just keep on rolling along and nothing sticks. 

Because we've had an incompetent administration.   From Brand to Herbert to Cora Breckenridge to Glass.  We've had the worst administration imaginable.  Many were racists and also incompetent. 

51 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Because we've had an incompetent administration.   From Brand to Herbert to Cora Breckenridge to Glass.  We've had the worst administration imaginable.  Many were racists and also incompetent. 

Glass is far from incompetent and has done a good job as AD.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Profit is his priority not winning.  He also gave Crean that buyout.

Yet the women BB is doing fine as well as the baseball team. Swimming and diving trams have done very well but to some the only sports an AD has to worry about is Men's basketball and football.  Forgot to mention that the soccer team played for the national championship this year.

15 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Um if that isn't impermissible benefits I don't know what is. He even incriminated himself saying he is making ends meet. Also a house where you can afford a payment or rent of over $2500 is more than making ends meet now. 

To be clear, that's Marvin Bagley Jr. Not Marvin Bagley III that is quoted.

46 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

To be clear, that's Marvin Bagley Jr. Not Marvin Bagley III that is quoted.

Ahh ok got my Bagleys crossed kinda but honestly they go from bankruptcy to now being able to live higher than many normal people from endorsements something just doesn't smell right there . 

2 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Ahh ok got my Bagleys crossed kinda but honestly they go from bankruptcy to now being able to live higher than many normal people from endorsements something just doesn't smell right there . 

Absolutely.

It's also comical how Duke comes out immediately saying that their investigation determined Bagley was eligible.  Well of course they would say that now that the season is over and saying otherwise would involve forfeiting a bunch of victories and appearance revenues.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2018/03/duke_bagley_cleared_to_play_af.html

Coach K, you wallow in the mud with coach Cal for these top ten kids, you're gonna get dirty.

• 2 months later...

Archived