The Best of Motown.

milehiiu

Diana Ross,

Mile how did we not get her in the thread about sixties music?

Probably one of my first boyhood crushes, (Yes I am color blind) 

God I hated Ed Sullivan but he did present some of the best talent of the sixties. Mile, maybe you could start a thread about ED? 

Drroogh.... the thread I started was about female singers. Just had a lot of 60's songs.  But... you are right.  Missed Diana in that one.

Speaking of Diana, she was instrumental in introducing an unknown group of brothers from Gary, Indiana,  to Barry Gordy. Here is one of their performances at Gary Roosevelt High School, doing a Temptations song, before they had any songs of their own, and before signing with Motown :

My Girl the jackson 5 

And a picture of them on stage at Roosevelt.  Of course they won the talent show that night.

3086580.jpg?412

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

I loved most everything from Motown. It was a great era.

Here is a documentary about the music scene at Muscle Shoals, Alabama around that same era. It's really good.

Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auGUm2r0cLs

71OeIWtbSSL._SX342_.jpg

Got my attention! But maybe this will help others as I had to do some cut and paste to get their. I'll have to look for the movie for sure!

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Looked it up Muscle Shoals is available to stream on Hulu. Will have to watch this weekend!

Thanks for posting the trailer. For some reason mine didn't take.

Yeah, check it. I had known the Muscle Shoals reputation for cranking out music but there was a lot I didn't know.

Great contributions, guys.  Thanks very much.

How many of you knew that before Barry Gordy, and Diana Ross... who professed to discovering the Jackson Five.... that Steel Town records, in my home town of Gary, Indiana first recorded Michael and his brothers ?

Gary Indiana and the world Tributes To Michael Jackson/Jackson 5 and “The STILL” Best Kept Secret Of Gordon Keith (Steeltown versus Motown) Who REALLY Discovered Michael and The Jackson 5 FIRST !! | And The Ordinary People Said

Archived