What is the hardest life lesson you've ever had to learn?

I lost a dear friend at 23 in a freak accident.  I decided, right then, that if I wasn't happy with my life for an extended amount of time, it was only up to me to change it.  Nobody was going to do it for me and, more importantly, it wouldn't necessarily be up to me when it was over.

A close second would be that Tom Crean was never going to learn how to substitute and I was going to have to live with that.

What about you, HSN?

Kind of Ironic that you put this up today(I suppose ironic is the right word although I feel bad for using it).  Today would have been a dear friend of mine's 50th birthday.  He passed away a little over three years ago.  He called me on a Friday night to ask me to meet him to go fishing at Wawasee.  I declined and then we proceeded to talk for another 2 hours about site business(he was one of my mods).  I heard his wife yell in the background telling him supper was ready.  We ended the conversation, but he said he would call me Saturday afternoon to give me his fishing report.  I received a call at 3 AM from his wife.  My friend was gone.  30 minutes after he got off the phone with me he collapsed.  They couldn't revive him.  A week later I am giving a eulogy in Valpo.

Enjoy every precious moment you got on this planet.

You can't change someone. They have to have the desire and will to change before you can help them.  

When talking to a friend or loved one choose your words wisely. They may be last you say or the last they hear. Either way, someone will have to live with those words. 

Never to take anyone for granted, or your relationship. I almost lost someone I cared deeply about, and our relationship, because I took her for granted. Everyone is complicated, everyone is working through things, and if you're so focused on yours, you lose what you think can't be lost -- invest yourself in what you care about, go all in.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to diminish any of the thoughts here, as they are all great lessons. But this thread is almost depressing. 

The hardest lesson I learned, was growing up in Indiana like every other Hoosier I dreamed of being a basketball player. Trying to play on the Jr High team I came to the realization that I was Horrible!! :coffee:

Archived