PETA

rico

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Your first post said  "Regardless of that was legal, it was unnecessary."  Don't try to turn this into an education argument.  You made a typo (which we all do from time to time) and made zero mention of what "that" and "it" were referring to.  The first time I read your comment, I wasn't sure if you meant the act of catching the shark, posting the picture, or even the article itself.  For all I knew, you were a big hunter a fisher and thought that having an article about it was the thing that was unnecessary.

Was it necessary for you to be rude to me about an innocent comment I made?  No, but you did it anyways.  I'm out of this one.  Enjoy the rest of your night.

Hang in there bro!!!!!!!

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Your first post said  "Regardless of that was legal, it was unnecessary."  Don't try to turn this into an education argument.  You made a typo (which we all do from time to time) and made zero mention of what "that" and "it" were referring to.  The first time I read your comment, I wasn't sure if you meant the act of catching the shark, posting the picture, or even the article itself.  For all I knew, you were a big hunter a fisher and thought that having an article about it was the thing that was unnecessary.

Was it necessary for you to be rude to me about an innocent comment I made?  No, but you did it anyways.  I'm out of this one.  Enjoy the rest of your night.

I don't see my comment as anymore rude than yours, but either way, enjoy your evening. 

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

Really didn't think my first comment was.  If it came off that way, my bad.

Thanks.

It may not have been,  I was already emotionally involved in the conversation and you weren't. It is probably my bias saying that. 

:cheers:

5 minutes ago, rico said:

The point is you don't understand fishing.  But yet you reply in this thread.

Because I didn't know a state law I'm not able to respond to a thread that you titled PETA and is about a potential violation of law with regard to animal cruelty? What's the logic there?

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Because I didn't know a state law I'm not able to respond to a thread that you titled PETA and is about a potential violation of law with regard to animal cruelty? What's the logic there?

So you know Florida laws?  Animal cruelty?  Wow.  You take a hook out of a shark's mouth.

If someone doesn't grow up learning to hunt or fish or spend time outdoors hiking or camping then these things can seem unnecessary.  

But they are not to those who grew up with it. Or found it later in life.

Its all about connecting with nature and the natural order. Believe it or not humans are animals and still maintain the instincts that put us on top of the food chain. 

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If someone doesn't grow up learning to hunt or fish or spend time outdoors hiking or camping then these things can seem unnecessary.  

Its all about connecting with nature and the natural order. Believe it or not humans are animals and still maintain the instincts that put us on top of the food chain. 

1) enjoying it and it being necessary aren't the same. I even said in the gun thread I had no interest in taking away people's ability to do this.

2) yes, humans are apes; no more and no less. We made it to the top of the food chain because of our intellect. 

10 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I agree. Sometimes it is necessary to get away from ones job or family to relax, think, recharge... Some people might do this going to an art museum. Others hiking in a mountain. As Rico well knows, millions of us do enjoy the pleasure of fishing streams, lakes and oceans. For some, it is necessary as a way to provide food for their family or income for themselves. Or even necessary to reduce stress and live a longer happier more fulfilling life.

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

1) enjoying it and it being necessary aren't the same. I even said in the gun thread I had no interest in taking away people's ability to do this.

2) yes, humans are apes; no more and no less. We made it to the top of the food chain because of our intellect. 

1) They can be however

2) Umm, you may wish to rethink the use of the word "are". I could buy "have some similiarities with" or  "share some common DNA" but humans are distinctly different than apes. For example, you recently posted a pic of a dancing human. When given a choice between human and ape, how many people would you have to ask before one identified that human as an ape? :coffee:

26 minutes ago, Reacher said:

1) They can be however

2) Umm, you may wish to rethink the use of the word "are". I could buy "have some similiarities with" or  "share some common DNA" but humans are distinctly different than apes. For example, you recently posted a pic of a dancing human. When given a choice between human and ape, how many people would you have to ask before one identified that human as an ape? :coffee:

1) sure, they can be. But in the specific instance that I was discussing its pretty obvious that isn't the case. 

2) humans are apes. It's a scientific fact. 

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1) sure, they can be. But in the specific instance that I was discussing its pretty obvious that isn't the case. 

2) humans are apes. It's a scientific fact. 

Why are there separate classifications for Homo sapiens and Homininae? Would you marry an ape from the zoo?

Even the allegation of common ancestry for humans and apes has scholars on both sides of the issue so it may not be as factual as you think. 

I won't go any further with this as the creationism vs evolution debate is obviously a separate thread. 

36 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Why are there separate classifications for Homo sapiens and Homininae? Would you marry an ape from the zoo?

Even the allegation of common ancestry for humans and apes has scholars on both sides of the issue so it may not be as factual as you think. 

I won't go any further with this as the creationism vs evolution debate is obviously a separate thread. 

What's your source? That's utter insanity; humans are considered a great ape. It has nothing to do with creationism, it has to do with how we are scientifically classified. Please, please post your link that says we aren't great apes. 

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And there aren't separate classifications for homo sapiens and homininae. Homo sapiens are a homininae. 

My biology is a bit rusty. I'm sorry.

The genus Homo sapien is different than the genus Pan or Gorillini all of which fall under the sub family Hominae. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homininae

You are correct that homo sapiens are (a genus under) hominae but I stand by my assertion that humans are not apes as evidenced by their separate scientific classifications. They are separate but related species that have evolved from the same ancestor. I see you conveniently forgot to reply about whether you would marry an ape and, if there was no difference, that should be acceptable in your view. 

Who says you can't learn anything in the Animal House?

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

My biology is a bit rusty. I'm sorry.

The genus Homo sapien is different than the genus Pan or Gorillini all of which fall under the sub family Hominae. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homininae

You are correct that homo sapiens are (a genus under) hominae but I stand by my assertion that humans are not apes as evidenced by their separate scientific classifications. They are separate but related species that have evolved from the same ancestor. I see you conveniently forgot to reply about whether you would marry an ape and, if there was no difference, that should be acceptable in your view. 

Who says you can't learn anything in the Animal House?

Great Apes are typically accepted to be homindae; homo sapiens would be included in that.

I can agree there is room for debate over rather or not we should be, but the reality is that is how we are classified scientifically. Specifically because, although great apes all have exceptional brain capacity, hominains (humans and other extinct human-like species) are in a class of their own.  

It doesn't mean we are all the same species; of course, we aren't a gorilla, a chimp or an orangutang. We are all Great Apes which is very different than being the same species. 

The Great Ape classification comes in at the homindae level, which is family and above genus. 

Archived