Jump to content

Where have they gone?


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Jerry Tarkanian, Al McGuire, Ray Meyer - RIP.   The programs were never the same.  In the case of San Francisco, I think they had one famous team because of Bill Russell and K.C. Jones.

The Don's were a powerhouse in the 70's into the early 80's then scandal hit.  Never recovered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Potentially add UCONN to the list due to all the above factors.

I actually thought about them when I made my OP.  They got a coach now.....see how he does or how long he is there.  But the jury is still out on the Huskies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I should have done some research on USF.  Forgot about Bill Cartwright and some of teams USF had in the 70's and 80's.  They even made the elite eight in the 60's.

They were tough.  I can't remember if it was '77 or '78 when the Dons came to South Bend ranked #1.  The Irish throttled them that day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

St. John's has always been the team for me, when I think of historical programs that have basically dropped off the face of the earth.  They are still #9 in wins in history.  Considering what they have been the last 20 years, that speaks to how prominent they were before then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_most_victories_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, rico said:

They were tough.  I can't remember if it was '77 or '78 when the Dons came to South Bend ranked #1.  The Irish throttled them that day.

Have to tell this story. I was competing in another sport (fencing) while ND was playing SF. Got a chance to walk down the tunnel just before halftime to watch some of the game. With about 2 seconds left in the half ND gets possession. Billy Paterno is standing about 20 feet from me when he throws a full court in bounds toward Adrian Dantley under the basket.

SWISH!!

To bad it didn't count and SF got possession. Still the best non-shot I ever saw. Kind of like the Victor missed slam that broke the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5r1GtBOANc 

 

Edited by Drroogh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How strong could they have been if they haven't been relevant in 30 years? I know St John's was.. 

I don't really know what you are asking there.  UConn became relevant when they joined the Big East and even after doing so it took them another 10 years to become a household name in the CBB world.  They have been a "power" for 30 years now.  They no longer have their legendary coach, and they are no longer in a premier conference.  The jury is still out on whether they possibly could go by the wayside.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't really know what you are asking there.  UConn became relevant when they joined the Big East and even after doing so it took them another 10 years to become a household name in the CBB world.  They have been a "power" for 30 years now.  They no longer have their legendary coach, and they are no longer in a premier conference.  The jury is still out on whether they possibly could go by the wayside.

I was talking about DePaul, Marq,  etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Phrase the question to me again.

How strong could those programs have really been if they haven't been relevant in 30 years? I know St John's was very strong.. the others I'm questioning though. Georgetown almost fits that list too, right? They haven't been very good in my lifetime 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How strong could those programs have really been if they haven't been relevant in 30 years? I know St John's was very strong.. the others I'm questioning though. Georgetown almost fits that list too, right? They haven't been very good in my lifetime 

That is kind of what I am saying.  The schools I originally mentioned were at the top of the basketball world for a sustained period of time.  St. John's would fit that bill.  And yes, Georgetown is slowly fading away.  Another one that fits the bill would be Houston.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How strong could those programs have really been if they haven't been relevant in 30 years? I know St John's was very strong.. the others I'm questioning though. Georgetown almost fits that list too, right? They haven't been very good in my lifetime 

For Marquette, look at the years between '67 & '79.  Almost all of that success can be attributed to Al McGuire.  

They were nothing before he got there, and slipped after he left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marquette_Golden_Eagles_men's_basketball

 

 

Edited by 5fouls
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DePaul's window of being elite was shorter than Marquette's.  It only lasted from '78-'84.  But, during that time, they were truly strong.  15 total losses over a 5 year period at one point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DePaul_Blue_Demons_men's_basketball

They had a decent season here or there before the 70's, but no consistent stretch of success outside the one referenced above.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

DePaul's window of being elite was shorter than Marquette's.  It only lasted from '78-'84.  But, during that time, they were truly strong.  15 total losses over a 5 year period at one point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DePaul_Blue_Demons_men's_basketball

They had a decent season here or there before the 70's, but no consistent stretch of success outside the one referenced above.

 

 

I think one thing the "younger crowd" doesn't realize is how different it was pre-1985.  The tournament was ran different and the conference landscape would be mind boggling to them.  I wonder how many guys on here could name what schools were in the SWC?  How many could name who was in the Metro.  How many schools were independents?  And without looking it up?

Back to topic.....I can't believe I left out Houston.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Houston doesn't belong on the list. They were relevant for one recruiting cycle that included Olajuwan and Drexler. Other than those few years in the early 80's they were nowhere near the program as some of the other schools you listed. Ironically, with Sampson, they are also probably closest of any of these schools to being good.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Houston doesn't belong on the list. They were relevant for one recruiting cycle that included Olajuwan and Drexler. Other than those few years in the early 80's they were nowhere near the program as some of the other schools you listed. Ironically, with Sampson, they are also probably closest of any of these schools to being good.

Houston had some great teams in the mid 60's with Elvin Hayes.  Those teams probably rivaled the Olajuwon / Drexler teams. 

Houston was very good for a 20 year period in the mid 60's to the mid 80's 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...