Where have they gone?

On 4/7/2018 at 12:58 PM, 5fouls said:

St. John's has always been the team for me, when I think of historical programs that have basically dropped off the face of the earth.  They are still #9 in wins in history.  Considering what they have been the last 20 years, that speaks to how prominent they were before then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_teams_with_the_most_victories_in_NCAA_Division_I_men's_college_basketball

It's some what telling how tough it is to win in certain conferences compared to others! How many more could IU have won sec? Just saying top to bottom BIG TEN IS A DOG FIGHT YEAR IN YEAR OUT!

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My point was in the last 30 years. Smh, Scott. 

It is not like IU have been any better in the last 30 years. Maybe moving forward IU will be like those teams we are mentioning in this thread as what ever happened to those programs.  Those teams we mentioned were top programs during the stretch of time and that was the point.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not like IU have been any better in the last 30 years. Maybe moving forward IU will be like those teams we are mentioning in this thread as what ever happened to those programs.  Those teams we mentioned were top programs during the stretch of time and that was the point.

Early 90s we were very good. But yeah I agree with you for the most part... but that has nothing to do with what I said. 

To the point of the OP there have been several programs that for a time were powerhouse programs, could add teams like Loyola Marymount or UNLV! Heck, could even add this years Cinderella Loyola of Chicago, they are still the only team out of Illinois to win an NC! Almost all of those teams can be attributed to having that one or two great coaches but the program itself does not sustain great basketball. Anybody that tries to put IU in that same category to me is playing the fool! IU won championships over 4 decades with different coaches, Yes IU has been an anomaly the last thirty years but we still have been to the championship game and had multiple sweet sixteens IU has not been IRRELAVENT over those 30 years!! I'm sorry but it PIS^%$* me off when people try to make IU sound like it is a has been, never was! Especially when it is coming from IU fans! We all want IU to be that great program it has been in the past, but to belittle the program is hard for me to fathom! We have had a run of underperforming coaches including the latter years of coach RMK, but I am holding out great promise that CAM is the one to put IU back where it belongs!

10 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Houston doesn't belong on the list. They were relevant for one recruiting cycle that included Olajuwan and Drexler. Other than those few years in the early 80's they were nowhere near the program as some of the other schools you listed. Ironically, with Sampson, they are also probably closest of any of these schools to being good.

And Guy Lewis is shaking his head.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lewis

On 4/7/2018 at 12:09 PM, Drroogh said:

To bad it didn't count and SF got possession. Still the best non-shot I ever saw. Kind of like the Victor missed slam that broke the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5r1GtBOANc 

This is my favorite moment in IU history.  If he had made that, they would have had to stop the game, AH would have come down and the fans would have rushed the court

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

To bad it didn't count and SF got possession. Still the best non-shot I ever saw. Kind of like the Victor missed slam that broke the internet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5r1GtBOANc 

This is my favorite moment in IU history.  If he had made that, they would have had to stop the game, AH would have come down and the fans would have rushed the court

God, he was special...I think we are just now starting to realize the full Oladipo effect.

In a couple of years, we'll likely be saying the same about the O.G.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I was thinking of Nolan Richards.  Sutton was a good coach, but a bad boy.

I got one helluva story to tell about Arkansas when Eddie Sutton was there!!!!!!!!  First hand.

Edit:  Sorry had to get my dates straight.  But anyway the school I went to fed into the Columbia City sectional.  Another school that did was Central Noble.  '77 Cental Noble had a great player by the name of Mike Young.  He wanted to stay in state, but IU, Notre Dame, and even Purdue were full up.  So out of state schools came calling.......Michigan, Ohio St., Louisville, etc.  He went to Arkansas.  My Uncle, who was on the Central Noble school board at the time, said he picked the Hogs because they offered the most money.  

Archived