Morel Mushrooms

rico

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I was just about to start this same topic Soon.  I just started again last year.  Hopefully we can get some reports throughout the season about what is popping up when . 

What area do you live in mrflynn?

39 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Southern.  I do my hunting in Martin and Daviess county. Down around Washington/Loogootee.

Im a bit rusty.  Found a few last year but started too late.  Probably been 7-8 years since i really put the time in.

I would guess you are 4-5 hour drive south of me.  My guess is down there in a "normal year" you would start finding them in the middle of March.  It is going to be a late season this year.

As a kid growing up in Northwest Indiana.  My father and I went mushroom hunting every Spring and Fall.  I got to know the mushrooms to pick very well. To this day, if I ever went hunting in NWI.... I would have no qualms about what to pick, and what not to pick.

And my mother, used to make a great mushroom dish, with the mushrooms we picked, that  my mouth is watering right now, thinking of it.

53 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As a kid growing up in Northwest Indiana.  My father and I went mushroom hunting every Spring and Fall.  I got to know the mushrooms to pick very well. To this day, if I ever went hunting in NWI.... I would have no qualms about what to pick, and what not to pick.

And my mother, used to make a great mushroom dish, with the mushrooms we picked, that  my mouth is watering right now, thinking of it.

Around me going out in the Fall is not a good idea........deer season!!!!!  But yes I have had those mushrooms.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Around me going out in the Fall is not a good idea........deer season!!!!!  But yes I have had those mushrooms.

In the Fall, we would go out to private land, enclosed, and owned by a farmer.  All it took was a box of Snicker's candy bars to allow him to let us in.  True !

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Ive only ever hunted in the spring. What do you find in the fall?

Pretty much the same mushrooms found in the Spring. With the possible exception of Sheepsheads which grow on the trunks of fallen trees.  Find those in the fall... and you fill an entire bushel full of goodness.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Pretty much the same mushrooms found in the Spring. With the possible exception of Sheepsheads which grow on the trunks of fallen trees.  Find those in the fall... and you fill an entire bushel full of goodness.

When I was a kid, I went out with my dad and we filled 3 entire pack baskets of them.  Even had more but didn't feel like carrying all of them.

I have a reminder set on my phone to look for morels in a couple weeks.  I've never done it before, but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot.

My Grandfather was Dean of Botany at the University of Wisconsin, his specialty was mushrooms and fungi. Unfortunately, he passed away when I was only 3. Would have loved to roam the woods looking for shrooms with him. I myself know very little about it, I envy you guys!! 

There is a mushroom society in Colorado.  Where they teach you about hunting in altitude... and will actually take you into the mountains to help you hunt.

Knowing that, I found this site on the web :

Locations in Indiana - The Hoosier Mushroom Society

And this as well :

5 Signs it's Morel Mushroom Season in Indiana

Good hunting, HSN !

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There is a mushroom society in Colorado.  Where they teach you about hunting in altitude... and will actually take you into the mountains to help you hunt.

Knowing that, I found this site on the web :

Locations in Indiana - The Hoosier Mushroom Society

And this as well :

5 Signs it's Morel Mushroom Season in Indiana

Good hunting, HSN !

The bottom link is interesting and I don't agree with everything they say.  I have hunted them all my life.  My Grandpa told me two things.......

1) When the asparagus is up so are the mushrooms.

2) When the lilacs are in bloom, the mushrooms are in full bore.

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I've never picked nor eaten my own mushrooms, how will these compare to what I buy at the store? 

Is the real benefit just the chance to go do it yourself or is the taste/nutrition a benefit as well?

Well, last year around me they were going for $35/lb.  That tells you what their worth is and what people think of them.  

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I've never picked nor eaten my own mushrooms, how will these compare to what I buy at the store? 

Is the real benefit just the chance to go do it yourself or is the taste/nutrition a benefit as well?

Store bought mushrooms do not even come close in terms of taste. 

If I could give a comparison.... it would be like the difference between a store bought tomato, vs a home grown tomato.  Taste wise.  Not even close.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Store bought mushrooms do not even come close in terms of taste. 

Kind of funny when I first started seeing the little lady(a city girl) she asked me what my favorite meal was.  I told her anything that had fried morel mushrooms.  She had never had any.  Well, now she eats them about as fast as I can find them!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived