Morel Mushrooms

rico

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Depending upon size and type. Just days.  Especially if there is a lot of moisture. They can grow fast.  Catch 'em while you can. 

Oh wow - that’s fast. Did not know that. One of these years I’d like to give it a try!  Thx for the info, Mile :)

On 4/8/2018 at 10:33 AM, KoB2011 said:

I've never picked nor eaten my own mushrooms, how will these compare to what I buy at the store? 

Is the real benefit just the chance to go do it yourself or is the taste/nutrition a benefit as well?

These are about 100x better 

58 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Oh wow - that’s fast. Did not know that. One of these years I’d like to give it a try!  Thx for the info, Mile :)

You should try it someday.  Only one piece of advice... take someone with experience picking mushrooms with you. As some of the poisonous mushrooms can and do mimic safe to eat mushrooms.  Don't let that deter you.  There are plenty of mushroom societies country wide. With people more than willing to take you out and train you in what to look for. One clue.  If you see an insect on a mushroom, it is one to pick.  Insects avoid poisonous mushrooms. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

You should try it someday.  Only one piece of advice... take someone with experience picking mushrooms with you. As some of the poisonous mushrooms can and do mimic safe to eat mushrooms.  Don't let that deter you.  There are plenty of mushroom societies country wide. With people more than willing to take you out and train you in what to look for. One clue.  If you see an insect on a mushroom, it is one to pick.  Insects avoid poisonous mushrooms. 

Great advice, Mile. A couple years ago on a trip to Nashville, IN, I snagged a mushroom/fungus book for that very reason. We’d seen a very funky fungus, and had no idea what kind it was. The book is a great identifier, but I think having someone with intimate knowledge of mushrooms is essential, if not life or death in some cases.

If you are willing to pay for them, someone at a local farmers market may have some to sell but you have to get there early.  Would be a good way to try them out to see if you like them. 

When I make them I usually season some flour, then flour the mushrooms and pan fry in about an inch of oil until golden brown. 

7 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Another spring fungus I heard about last year and have yet to try is called chicken of the woods or hen of the woods.  

Has anyone had experience with this?

Oh yeah.  Only, we called them sheepsheads.  And when myself and my father found them we felt we found the gold of all mushrooms.  Generally found at the base of trees. Oak preferably.  Or growing in stumps. Or above trees that had rotted in the ground.  Find a flurry of sheepsheads.... and you could literally fill bushel full after bushel full.... and call it a day.

maitake-sheepshead-mushroom.jpg

47 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Another spring fungus I heard about last year and have yet to try is called chicken of the woods or hen of the woods.  

Has anyone had experience with this?

They grow in the late summer, early fall around me.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There is one specifically that grows along with morels.  It is a "false morel".  Some call them a "beefsteak".  They are edible however they can cause liver failure.

@rico

I first seen them at the bloomington farmers market in late May. So that may be when they first start around here. I saw my cousin posting pictures of them online in June and July. So they are more a summer thing.

I never paid them any attention until I asked the vendor at the market about them. Should have tried some them. 

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

@rico

I first seen them at the bloomington farmers market in late May. So that may be when they first start around here. I saw my cousin posting pictures of them online in June and July. So they are more a summer thing.

I never paid them any attention until I asked the vendor at the market about them. Should have tried some them. 

I can't speak for Bloomington........but just because you saw them in B-town, doesn't mean they were found there.  

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Oh yeah.  Only, we called them sheepsheads.  And when myself and my father found them we felt we found the gold of all mushrooms.  Generally found at the base of trees. Oak preferably.  Or growing in stumps. Or above trees that had rotted in the ground.  Find a flurry of sheepsheads.... and you could literally fill bushel full after bushel full.... and call it a day.

maitake-sheepshead-mushroom.jpg

How did you cook them up? I haven't found a way of making them that I've been very happy with.

Very true about how many you can find. I remember as a kid finding a section in the woods that had probably 20 of them in an area the size of an average house.

6 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

How did you cook them up? I haven't found a way of making them that I've been very happy with.

Very true about how many you can find. I remember as a kid finding a section in the woods that had probably 20 of them in an area the size of an average house.

My mother used to cook them with butter, garlic and onion.

Here's just  a You Tube Video I found... descriptive of how to pick, clean and cook Sheepheads.

Maitake - Sheepshead - Hen of the Woods - Cooking Mushroom

5 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not sute where to post tbis, so I will try here. 

My wife found this, while in Nashville. She said it had the texture of a slimy mushroom.

Anybody have a clue what it is?!

IMG-20180417-WA0015.jpg

The video wouldn’t play for me, but I did a little searching (because that is funky stuff), and I’m wondering if it might be slime mold? Do some searching on that, specifically orange slime mold. Here’s one of many sources of info for that that I found: https://youtu.be/B79Z56vl02A

There are some fascinating videos about it and it kind of gives me the creeps, lol. One of the sources said it can be found anywhere, on a tree, in the grass, wherever.

1 hour ago, MrsStoller said:

The video wouldn’t play for me, but I did a little searching (because that is funky stuff), and I’m wondering if it might be slime mold? Do some searching on that, specifically orange slime mold. Here’s one of many sources of info for that that I found: https://youtu.be/B79Z56vl02A

There are some fascinating videos about it and it kind of gives me the creeps, lol. One of the sources said it can be found anywhere, on a tree, in the grass, wherever.

I don' think that's it. Bit that video was feaky.  Lol

Maybe one of our students here can tale the the science department and get some answers!

It is gross, I know that much.

4 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

I have no idea what that creepy looking thing is.  However, one thing I know is I would not be touching it, much less eating it. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Looks like the bear ate a few cheese burgers and dumped them in the yard if you know what I mean.

Lol, when I was reading about slime mold, I came across one called “dog vomit”.  It appears to have received its name via obvious reasons, haha.

i guess this slime mold will be, for lack of a more scientific term, slimy until it reaches the pore stage. Who knew??

Archived