Most dominating player you ever watched

rico

Me and a buddy got into a discussion about this last night concerning what players dominated the college game in our lifetime.  We both came up with the same answer and it was Ralph Sampson.  Now I know there is gonna be generational gaps here.  But was curious as to what the membership's answers are.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

College - I would say Larry Bird.  Didn't see much of him on TV because that was before cable, and the networks were not flocking to Terre Haute.

High School - I know you did not ask for it, but when I read the thread title, before I realized it was a college question, my first thought was Damon Bailey at BNL.  What he did over his high school career is beyond belief.  The games I attended that he played in are ones I will remember forever.

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

College - I would say Larry Bird.  Didn't see much of him on TV because that was before cable, and the networks were not flocking to Terre Haute.

Larry did come into me and my bud's discussion.  But as you said there was no TV coverage of the Sycamores.

Okay, I never actually saw him play as he was a little before my time, but I have seen highlights and as far as I know he is still the all time leading scorer in NCAA....Pistol Pete??  Maybe some of the guys that have been around a little longer than me can speak to this, but from what little I know about him, nobody could really stop him. 

9 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

Okay, I never actually saw him play as he was a little before my time, but I have seen highlights and as far as I know he is still the all time leading scorer in NCAA....Pistol Pete??  Maybe some of the guys that have been around a little longer than me can speak to this, but from what little I know about him, nobody could really stop him. 

If there would have been a 3 point line he probably would have averaged 50 plus points, and if he could have played varsity right when he got to college his scoring records would have been untouchable.

For as much grief he takes now as an announcer, many people forget, or don't realize that Bill Walton was the Naismith player of the year three years in a row.

I'd say that is as dominant as I can imagine.

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For me, I'd say Oden. The dude was unstoppable and I'm sure playing against him in 8th grade and then following his career after that played into my decision. A little before my time but in the 90's, I think Big Dog is a solid choice. Last guy to average 30 and 10 in a season. 

LOL.  I knew before I read your post that a Purdue guy would be mentioned.  

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mentioned an Ohio State guy first since that was more during my teenage years. I was really young when Big Dog played. But am I wrong about Big Dog?

Big Dog was a great college player.  Do't get me wrong.  But, he was not dominant in the sense that he simply took a game over and transcended everything else that was happening on the floor.  He does not deserve mention against the likes of Walton, Bird, or Maravich.

39 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Big Dog was a great college player.  Do't get me wrong.  But, he was not dominant in the sense that he simply took a game over and transcended everything else that was happening on the floor.  He does not deserve mention against the likes of Walton, Bird, or Maravich.

Maybe not those 3 but I disagree that he wasn't dominant. He was pretty dominant in my opinion. 

Archived