Most dominating player you ever watched

rico

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patrick Ewing.  In the 1985 NCAA championship game against St. John's, which featured Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson,  he took Mullin completely out of the game in the first 5 minutes with thunderous blocked shots.  He was called for a couple of goal tends but his message got delivered and Mullin only ended up with 8 pts.  For his 4-year career at Georgetown he nearly averaged a double-double with 15.3 ppg and 9.2 reb./game.

Jabbar (Alcindor) or Walton. There really wasn't much competition at their level at that point in time, except for Elvin Hayes. They both played in a structured offense. I don't know what their win/loss numbers are for their years, but they're stellar.

57 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Danny Manning was something else his senior year. Averaged almost 25 and 9 per game and took put that team on his back all the way to a championship. The dude was as smooth as he was unstoppable.

He was something else for a career.  He carried that team.

7 minutes ago, Mac said:

Jabbar (Alcindor) or Walton. There really wasn't much competition at their level at that point in time, except for Elvin Hayes. They both played in a structured offense. I don't know what their win/loss numbers are for their years, but they're stellar.

Okay, I looked it up: Jabbar 88-2, three national championships. Walton 86-4, two national championships.

I'm just going to go with guys I saw play in college, off the top of my head. Manning, Laettner, Shaq, Oden (imagine if he had been healthy that year?), I saw Ewing but don't really remember it. I'm trying to think of someone that hasn't been mentioned.  Carmelo was pretty dominant his one year. Maybe Wade for a few weeks, he absolutely carried Marquette to that Final Four. It's tough because most of the dominant players from 96-04 didn't play in college, and even since then they only played one year in most cases. 

5 hours ago, IU4Ever said:

Patrick Ewing.  In the 1985 NCAA championship game against St. John's, which featured Chris Mullin and Mark Jackson,  he took Mullin completely out of the game in the first 5 minutes with thunderous blocked shots.  He was called for a couple of goal tends but his message got delivered and Mullin only ended up with 8 pts.  For his 4-year career at Georgetown he nearly averaged a double-double with 15.3 ppg and 9.2 reb./game.

The St. Johns game was not the championship game because Villanova beat Georgetown in the 85 final.

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm just going to go with guys I saw play in college, off the top of my head. Manning, Laettner, Shaq, Oden (imagine if he had been healthy that year?), I saw Ewing but don't really remember it. I'm trying to think of someone that hasn't been mentioned.  Carmelo was pretty dominant his one year. Maybe Wade for a few weeks, he absolutely carried Marquette to that Final Four. It's tough because most of the dominant players from 96-04 didn't play in college, and even since then they only played one year in most cases. 

Imagine what KD or Lebron would have done with a 3-4 year college career? 

11 hours ago, BGleas said:

Ewing was dominating.  And he played 4 years and was dominating in all 4.  To me, that puts him ahead of guys like Shaq, Oden, and Carmelo.  Two guys I am surprised that haven't been mentioned so far are Tim Duncan and Marcus Camby.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Ewing was dominating.  And he played 4 years and was dominating in all 4.  To me, that puts him ahead of guys like Shaq, Oden, and Carmelo.  Two guys I am surprised that haven't been mentioned so far are Tim Duncan and Marcus Camby.

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure this discussion is one where staying 4 years really matters. Dominating is dominating whether it was done over 4 years or just one. Oden was a beast and that was with basically playing with one hand. Shaq was an absolutely beast and he played 3 years so just one less than Ewing. Agree on Duncan, for some reason his college career largely gets forgotten. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Just my opinion, but I'm not sure this discussion is one where staying 4 years really matters. Dominating is dominating whether it was done over 4 years or just one. Oden was a beast and that was with basically playing with one hand. Shaq was an absolutely beast and he played 3 years so just one less than Ewing. Agree on Duncan, for some reason his college career largely gets forgotten. 

I'll counter with the point that Shaq did not dominate to such a level that he carried his team deep into the tournament.  Larry Bird did.  Danny Manning did.  Ralph Sampson and Patrick Ewing did as well.  Heck, even Marcus Camby was able to get UMASS to a Final Four. 

20 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

For me, I'd say Oden. The dude was unstoppable and I'm sure playing against him in 8th grade and then following his career after that played into my decision. A little before my time but in the 90's, I think Big Dog is a solid choice. Last guy to average 30 and 10 in a season. 

I watched Big Dog and he was very dominate. His college game was impressive. I have a hard time nominating a prop 48 kid though. He was apparently pretty dumb!

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

IMHO, a 4 year dominance trumps 1 or 2 years.  And to be honest I would take Ewing's freshman year over Oden's everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  And what did Shaq ever do at the collegiate level?

1 hour ago, rico said:

IMHO, a 4 year dominance trumps 1 or 2 years.  And to be honest I would take Ewing's freshman year over Oden's everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  And what did Shaq ever do at the collegiate level?

I don't know, he only averaged 21.6 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 4.6 bpg and shot 61% from the field over 3 years, and if you take just his last two years he averaged 25.8 ppg, 14.3 rpg and 5.1 bpg. 

Drink that in, over a 2-year period he averaged 26, 14 and 5. 

Edit: I would take Ewing's freshmen year over Oden's too, but that doesn't mean Oden didn't dominate as well. 

Archived