Most dominating player you ever watched

rico

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know, he only averaged 21.6 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 4.6 bpg and shot 61% from the field over 3 years, and if you take just his last two years he averaged 25.8 ppg, 14.3 rpg and 5.1 bpg. 

Drink that in, over a 2-year period he averaged 26, 14 and 5. 

Edit: I would take Ewing's freshmen year over Oden's too, but that doesn't mean Oden didn't dominate as well. 

My point being Shaq never won anything.  I don't care what his stat line shows.  To me being dominant is picking your team up and carrying it on your back.  What did LSU do in Shaq's time there?  Weigh that against some of the other guys that have been mentioned.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What about Steph Curry?

He was really good but idk if I'd say dominant. I'm not sure what his stats were against legit teams outside of his conference do you? I remember when Purdue played Davidson during finals week and Kramer/Keaton Grant held him to 13 points on 5/26 shooting.  Really good college player who has obviously turned it up a ton in the NBA. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

What about Steph Curry?

I feel like you may be running into the same problem I am with this question.  I've only been paying attention to college basketball for the last 15 years or so, and I really can't think of any player that I would say was totally dominant to the point they were head and shoulders above their competition.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I feel like you may be running into the same problem I am with this question.  I've only been paying attention to college basketball for the last 15 years or so, and I really can't think of any player that I would say was totally dominant to the point they were head and shoulders above their competition.

Oh I can think of guys, but apparently, only people who played before the 90s count.  Kevin Durant was as dominant as anyone I've seen in college.  Blake Griffin and Michael Beasley also both were as dominant as can be.  

I haven't watched for nearly as long as other members but Anthony Davis is probably my answer. I think you also have to keep in mind that the average level of talent has gone up so much over the years and perhaps we don't see players being as head and shoulders above the rest as they used to be. It's just a lot harder to do now. I really wish there was a better way to measure how players from one era would adapt to another.

I think we have to go back to the OP's title and post: "most dominating player" you ever watched.

That does leave open for interpretation one's idea of what most dominating means (I saw Curry play, and yes, he dominated from a scoring and assist standpoint, I immediately thought he was the next Reggie, and he has surpassed Reggie, but I would not call him the "most dominating" player I watched). 

It's really hard for me to pick a college player, (who I watched). Durant comes pretty close. Magic was pretty dominating (and he of course beat Bird). Oden was definitely dominating. I'm going to go with Melo though, just for what he did in the NCAA tourney. He was unstoppable in carrying Cuse to that championship (and I, of course, am no Cuse fan). I mean the guy was flat out unstoppable, just scored at will.

I'm going with Ben (Benji) Wilson of Chicago. 

For those not familiar with him, Google him. He has an ESPN 30 for 30 film- http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=benji

Nick Anderson said he was much better than he was. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-nick-anderson-george-diaz-0808-20160807-column.html

Rated #1 in the country (H.S.) before being tragically, fatally shot.

31 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'm going with Ben (Benji) Wilson of Chicago. 

For those not familiar with him, Google him. He has an ESPN 30 for 30 film- http://www.espn.com/30for30/film?page=benji

Nick Anderson said he was much better than he was. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orlando-magic/os-nick-anderson-george-diaz-0808-20160807-column.html

Rated #1 in the country (H.S.) before being tragically, fatally shot.

Also I remember back then it was said he was looking at IU pretty hard.

Remember this a college question.

I asked my Dad this last night.  He is 77.  Took him awhile to come up with his answer as he started talking about Jerry West, Jabbar, Oscar Robertson, Bill Walton, Larry Bird, Magic, Ralph Sampson, Patrick Ewing, Michael Jordan and David Robinson.  But his answer surprised me at the end of his walk down memory lane.........it was Jerry Lucas from Ohio St.

Archived