Dominate college players to the NBA

In my lifetime I have seen some absolute studs at the collegiate level that dominated.  However, some of these guys just "failed" at the next level.  Some of them had injury problems but some didn't.  Is there anybody that sticks out in your mind that you would consider a bust in the NBA considering what they did in college.  The first 2 guys that come to mind for me are Ralph Sampson and Wayman Tisdale.

1 hour ago, rico said:

In my lifetime I have seen some absolute studs at the collegiate level that dominated.  However, some of these guys just "failed" at the next level.  Some of them had injury problems but some didn't.  Is there anybody that sticks out in your mind that you would consider a bust in the NBA considering what they did in college.  The first 2 guys that come to mind for me are Ralph Sampson and Wayman Tisdale.

Bill Walton would have been one of the all time great NBA players if not for injuries

Rico, I think some might argue with you regarding Sampson.  He did avg 15.5 pts and almost 9 rebs for his nba career.  No, he wasn't Kareem, but he was an all-star multiple times, I believe.  I realize folks expectations are all different, as well as what constitutes a failure or bust.  

46 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Rico, I think some might argue with you regarding Sampson.  He did avg 15.5 pts and almost 9 rebs for his nba career.  No, he wasn't Kareem, but he was an all-star multiple times, I believe.  I realize folks expectations are all different, as well as what constitutes a failure or bust.  

You could argue..........but he basically had a 4 year NBA career.  And yes, he was an A-S his first 4 years.

Miles Simon comes to mind. I don’t know that I’d call him dominant, but he was first team AA, and even though that Zona team had Michael Dickerson and Mike Bibby, he was the go-to guy on that title team. Never stuck in the NBA, barely even had a cup of coffee.  

Edit: Looked it up, he only played in 5 NBA games. 

Donyell Marshall from UCONN in the late 90's comes to mind.

Christian Laettner never really did much aside from the Dream Team.

Chris Wilcox seemed much better in college than against NBA talent.

Could Jared Jeffries qualify to be on this list?

not neccesarily Dominant players but very good college players in their own right.

6 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think you have to mention Calbert in the discussion. He's one of the greatest IU, Big Ten and NCAA players of all time, but his NBA career was a bit underwhelming. 

I concur........just not what I expected out of him at the next level.

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think you have to mention Calbert in the discussion. He's one of the greatest IU, Big Ten and NCAA players of all time, but his NBA career was a bit underwhelming. 

I think this is fair. He did have a good NBA career, definitely not a wash out by any stretch, but fair to say underwhelming considering how dominant he was at IU.

still one of my favorite IU players though 

Archived