Tom Erlich (former IU Pres) - Got to talk with him

This past weekend I was in NH taking my daughter on a visit to Phillips Exeter, turns out Erlich is an alum. In a isn't-it-a-small-world moment, Erlich appears on the stage to talk to the students/parents (on civic involvement). 

Then he and his wife end up sitting down next to me, my wife and daughter in a lunch hall, among many tables he sits down next to us. And I tell him he's the guy who handed me my degree at IU and my mom used to work for him (assistant, speech writer), and his wife says oh yes, your mom put words in Tom's mouth. Lol.

Thought I'd share this small world moment. He's as sharp as ever (and currently a prof in Stanford's graduate school of education), gave a very good speech, and I learned some things about him I had no idea about -- he was a law clerk to Judge Learned Hand, one of the most famous and well-regarded (federal court of appeals) judges of all time. As the president of the Legal Services Corporation in DC he reported to Pres. Carter. He's had a storied career, including serving as the pres of our U. Cool experience getting to visit with him.

Archived